What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: ASADA and Drugs in NRL

strider

Post Whore
So that's all you took out of my post??? Fine awesome.

You cleary have a massive problem with the AFL. Thats fine, you can.

I agree they appear to get less scrutinised. But i live in sydney where the media make a motza from sensationalising league. I suspect it can happen with afl in melbourne too. But im willing to bet they r protective so maybe not the same ... i dunno i dont live in melbourne

As far as the drugs thing goes ... I honestly think the sharks got off massively lightly. Whatever the reasons, they did something very similar and got a slap on the wrist

Suity sums up My thoughts in his reply to Twizz. It might not bother you but I'm just sick of the raw deal RL gets in the media. Constantly dragged through the mud for the most minor of indiscretions while AFL and it's players seem to do as they please. Thinks are starting to change I think people are starting to wake up to this holier then though organisation.

But there are two separate issues here. If and when RL gets the raw end of the deal, then its fair enough to object to that....I do too. But what happens to other sports.....I just don't give a f**k. If the AFL have managed to hypnotise some journos or whatever, good luck to them....that is their job....to promote their sport. Part of the reason that they get a better end of the deal is that, unlike RL, AFL is popular with all ends of the socio-economic spectrum. In NSW/QLD, a fair proportion of the toffs are more inclined to RU. So the people with more ability to pull the strings don't have such an inherent sympathy for RL. So be it. League and league fans would do better to concentrate on their own game / culture than worrying about some Mexicans.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
You cleary have a massive problem with the AFL. Thats fine, you can.

I agree they appear to get less scrutinised. But i live in sydney where the media make a motza from sensationalising league. I suspect it can happen with afl in melbourne too. But im willing to bet they r protective so maybe not the same ... i dunno i dont live in melbourne

As far as the drugs thing goes ... I honestly think the sharks got off massively lightly. Whatever the reasons, they did something very similar and got a slap on the wrist
The Sharks cooperated with ASADA from day one, and then pleaded guilty. Essendon were offered the same deal and said no. It's their own fault as far as I'm concerned.

In western Sydney, I'm not sure that is so true, but I know you are generalising, so I'll let it pass.

Suity

I'm talking about its popularity in its home states. Main point being that it is supported by a greater proportion of the Old School Tie lot (in VIC) than RL is in NSW.

strider

Post Whore
The Sharks cooperated with ASADA from day one, and then pleaded guilty. Essendon were offered the same deal and said no. It's their own fault as far as I'm concerned.

I dont believe they did plead guilty. They pleaded they didnt know what they were taking. Easiest cop out in the world

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I dont believe they did plead guilty. They pleaded they didnt know what they were taking. Easiest cop out in the world
They took the deals, I also believe they got off lightly but they took the deal and that was that. Essendon still believe they did nothing wrong and wouldn't hear of taking a deal. So they get 12 months, tough titties as far as I'm concerned.

strider

Post Whore
They took the deals, I also believe they got off lightly but they took the deal and that was that. Essendon still believe they did nothing wrong and wouldn't hear of taking a deal. So they get 12 months, tough titties as far as I'm concerned.

Im willing to bet had essendon "done a deal" to get off you'd be all over them for being lying snakes

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Im willing to bet had essendon "done a deal" to get off you'd be all over them for being lying snakes
They tried to do a deal with the goverement, it wasn't till my uncle Dave Smith stepped in and alerted the media it all fell to bits. You honestly think Cronulla did a deal with ASADA??? They didn't have SFA evidence and needed a kill, both teams were offered the same deals and only one took the deal. You can't blame the Sharks for that, if Essendon had of we wouldn't be still talking about this.

strider

Post Whore
In western Sydney, I'm not sure that is so true, but I know you are generalising, so I'll let it pass.

Suity

BTW north western sydney is the heartland of AFL support in sydney. You're in the thick of it mate :lol:

eels81236

Bench
I may be a simple man with simple views but do you, hineyrulz, hate afl just because the fans love it and the media don't crucify it? That then extends to hating everything Victorian or anything related to Victoria?
I personally see no need for the hatred. They is what they is. It affects me how?
At worst, wouldn't scepticism (not hatred) of the media outweigh the hatred of all that is afl and/or Victorian?

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
BTW north western sydney is the heartland of AFL support in sydney. You're in the thick of it mate :lol:

I know what you say is true but it's funny you should say that.
No word of a lie, .........I see more Wanderers stuff being worn up this way (Castle Towers/Cherrybrook/Rouse Hill than I do Eels or Swans or GWS or Thunder/Sixers these days.
If anything, the most worn sports kits by kids is Euro Football teams.
This is the next generation or two of sports fans. They're all playing FIFA 16, and they all want to be a Messi or Ronaldo, not a Hayne. Well, maybe some want to be a Hayne. No one wants to be a "whoever is the GWS star" though.

Well, ...........maybe one.

Suity

strider

Post Whore
I know what you say is true but it's funny you should say that.
No word of a lie, .........I see more Wanderers stuff being worn up this way (Castle Towers/Cherrybrook/Rouse Hill than I do Eels or Swans or GWS or Thunder/Sixers these days.
If anything, the most worn sports kits by kids is Euro Football teams.
This is the next generation or two of sports fans. They're all playing FIFA 16, and they all want to be a Messi or Ronaldo, not a Hayne. Well, maybe some want to be a Hayne. No one wants to be a "whoever is the GWS star" though.

Well, ...........maybe one.

Suity

Oh yeah im not saying its bigger than other sports in the north west, just thats where the main support for afl lives.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I may be a simple man with simple views but do you, hineyrulz, hate afl just because the fans love it and the media don't crucify it? That then extends to hating everything Victorian or anything related to Victoria?
I personally see no need for the hatred. They is what they is. It affects me how?
At worst, wouldn't scepticism (not hatred) of the media outweigh the hatred of all that is afl and/or Victorian?
Yeah I hate AFL because people love it, you got me. I hate anyone who enjoys something.

I also hate RL, soccer and Cricket for the same reasons.
No one really loves Rugby Union......

Suitman

Post Whore
Oh yeah im not saying its bigger than other sports in the north west, just thats where the main support for afl lives.

And the support, where ever it is, is for the Swans.
I know heaps who support them.
I know no one who supports the GWS Midgets.
Happy for the AFL to still be throwing millions at their sport and the midgets in this area.
It's going down the plug hole.
In the meanwhile, the Wanderers survive on a shoe string budget, yet their fans are everywhere up here, as are Eels.

Suity

eels81236

Bench
Yeah I hate AFL because people love it, you got me. I hate anyone who enjoys something.

I also hate RL, soccer and Cricket for the same reasons.
No one really loves Rugby Union......

That's close enough to what I thought you'd say.

Why does it get you so riled, mate? Why does it seem to impact you so much?

Suitman

Post Whore
That's close enough to what I thought you'd say.

Why does it get you so riled, mate? Why does it seem to impact you so much?

That's a good question.
Could it be the North Korea-like propaganda from the AFL that get's people off-side?

Suity