What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: ASADA and Drugs in NRL

84 Baby

Referee
Yeah but what gronk says is a factor .... the first strike thing is all kept under the rug and no one knows .... but all these other things played out in public

I would feel content if these 2 merkins got 4 weeks and fines .... i think thats fair .... i would still belive norman & pearce were over punished cos the nrl are useless dicks, but i think 4 weeks is a decent punishment
Fans are pretty stupid but no one in their right mind would think that was an equal punishment. 2 wrongs don't make a right but f**k you can feel hard done by.
Then again Papalii only got 2 club enforced weeks so if they did give Bromwich & Proctor 4 weeks they could feel hard done by too

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
All I'm after is consistency
1. No case is the same. There are extenuating circumstances that make something that appears superficially similar, actually quite different.

2. If you were in charge, what would you do to ensure consistency?

3. Given that the public only have a portion of the information for any given indiscretion, what do you think the NRL and clubs can do to convince someone that they are being 'consistent'? Do they have a duty to share information that the public don't know about to give them comfort that there was some method behind determining the penalty?

We've identified an issue. Let's see if we can come up with some practical solutions.

Happy MEel

First Grade
1. No case is the same. There are extenuating circumstances that make something that appears superficially similar, actually quite different.

2. If you were in charge, what would you do to ensure consistency?

3. Given that the public only have a portion of the information for any given indiscretion, what do you think the NRL and clubs can do to convince someone that they are being 'consistent'? Do they have a duty to share information that the public don't know about to give them comfort that there was some method behind determining the penalty?

We've identified an issue. Let's see if we can come up with some practical solutions.
1. Sure, but be transparent about the extenuating circumstances.

2. Develop and publically release a comprehensive and clear cut schedule of suspensions for off-field incidents like they do for on-field offences and stick to it. If there are supposedly multiple offences that culminate into a larger suspension, outline the punishment handed down for each one, equating to the final suspension. In a nutshell, be transparent and you won't have the fans questioning punishments being handed down.

3. Yes I believe the NRL have an obligation to disclose why a certain punishment is handed down. As a member, decisions made by the NRL affect the team I have invested in. Without the fans the NRL is nothing so perhaps it's not a duty of care but there should definitely be an obligation to be transparent.

Last edited:

Happy MEel

First Grade
I'll also add that as a fan/member I don't need to agree with decisions made by the NRL but I sure as hell should be able to understand them.

Gronk

Staff member
Not mine. Holding it for a friend.

Confidential.
lol.gif

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I'll also add that as a fan/member I don't need to agree with decisions made by the NRL but I sure as hell should be able to understand them.
Agree, they could do more to help people understand why they have made certain decisions.

Sadly though, you will never get some whiny f**kwit fans to agree to anything. They'll just understand more about why they hate the decision and be even more convinced that they could do a better job themselves (even though they couldn't).

Happy MEel

First Grade
Agree, they could do more to help people understand why they have made certain decisions.

Sadly though, you will never get some whiny f**kwit fans to agree to anything. They'll just understand more about why they hate the decision and be even more convinced that they could do a better job themselves (even though they couldn't).
That's fine though. As I said, we don't need to agree with every NRL decision, we just need to understand them.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
That's fine though. As I said, we don't need to agree with every NRL decision, we just need to understand them.
I'm seeing an infographic showing all decisions and some key words associated with each decision. Most people understand infographics.

Maybe even a short video highlighting the different gradings for infractions - "Don't Do What Donny Don't Does"

Latest posts