What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

the phantom menace

First Grade
Wouldn't be anything to do with differences in coaching though... apparently that doesn't make any difference to anything in professional sports.

#poulogic

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say their junior development infrastructure is a significant resource. Even their location. Gosford is Penrith for kids from the soccer demographic.

talent identification, retention and recruitment

on top of that they lost thier title winning coach last year and some of their best players and replaced him with another coach who has them on top of the ladder

they just seem to make good decisions

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The kind of human resources you can't buy. When we talk about the Roosters' sombrero or Broncos dollars we are talking about advantages unavailable to most clubs. These advantages are facilitated by people with a vested interest in a given club.

King-Gutho94

Coach
2 in a row, how do they do it ?

After a decade in the doldrums its great the Mariners are back as a force.

They were cruelly unlucky in the early years should have had more then 1 championship before last year.

Newcastle & Brisbane Roar Grand Finals especially.

That Brisbane Roar game still gives me nightmares. How they lost that.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
After a decade in the doldrums its great the Mariners are back as a force.

They were cruelly unlucky in the early years should have had more then 1 championship before last year.

Newcastle & Brisbane Roar Grand Finals especially.

That Brisbane Roar game still gives me nightmares. How they lost that.

the thing is for me is that they have f**k all resources and finacial backing as they are not in a capital city

I keep on about it but they just make good decisions with regard to scouting the right playes and coaches and staff, their winnng coach from last year got head hunted and so did thier best players

wtf can't we (Eels) do that, so frustrating

Suitman

Post Whore
2 in a row, how do they do it ?

Not quite 2 in a row.
They won the Grand Final last year but not the Premier's Plate which is the Minor Premiership as we know it in NRL. That's what they won last night.

Still, an amazing achievement for a small, smart club with little resources. Congrats!
The Mariners are incredible and so well run. I don't know how they do it.
Compared to the Wanderers just 40 minutes down the road, with a billionaire owner(s) who are equally inept as the Eels at the moment. It's f**k'n pathetic the way the two Parra football clubs are being run.

T-Boon

Coach
I did not even know the Mariners won last year (or this year) and I am just up the road in Newcastle. This is the first I've heard of it.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Anyway find it ironic Arsenal may be relying on Tottenham to draw or beat city next week to win the Premier League.

My best mate who is a spurs fan told me he would be furious if they take points off City with the dross the spurs have dished up in the past 5 weeks.

He said just kick the ball into the back of your own net would rather lose 8-0 then see Arsenal lift up the trophy.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The rivalry over there in Nth London is just crazy, why the f**k they bring it into Oz astounds me.

I've seen Gooners interviewed and they cant say the word Tottenham, even some here in Oz cant type the word Tottenham.

These are grown men acting like primary school kids.

Latest posts