What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Gronk

Staff member
Except there's nearly a dozen merkins up for election in every electorate. I suppose you could say most of those aren't career politicians.

But the point is politics is a contest and Trump won, no different to charismatic statesmen like Obama and Hilary Clinton's husband.
He did and that’s all that matters. Or does it ? You can spin it however you like, but even his contemporaries think he’s a f**kwit.

upload_2019-12-7_21-49-9.jpeg

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He did and that’s all that matters. Or does it ? You can spin it however you like, but even his contemporaries think he’s a f**kwit.

View attachment 34534
Trump doesn't have contemporaries. He deadset broke the mould.

Those others are playing the game because if they don't they'll starve. Trump doesn't need to. If he loses the presidency he can stop losing money.

Gronk

Staff member

Those others are playing the game because if they don't they'll starve. Trump doesn't need to. If he loses the presidency he can stop losing money.

You’re certainly right about that. His Mr Bean style of presidency has made irreparable damage to the Trump Brand. Pre 2014, the Trump brand was considered a prestige marque, not unlike Hilton. Not now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/05/15/trumps-businesses-are-faltering-thats-good-news/

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Leaders of other countries will starve if they get voted out? I doubt it. They'd probably make more money somewhere else in the private sector.

Granted, I accept that Trump is massively different. I'll even go as far to say that he is more authentic because he has less of a filter. But that isn't because he feels more financially secure.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Leaders of other countries will starve if they get voted out? I doubt it. They'd probably make more money somewhere else in the private sector.

Granted, I accept that Trump is massively different. I'll even go as far to say that he is more authentic because he has less of a filter. But that isn't because he feels more financially secure.
Working in the private sector they'd still have to play the game. They're not tattooists or taxi drivers or billionaires. They'd have to go to work every day and have the correct opinions and toe the line. Or they'd get the arse.

Gronk

Staff member
He knew the risks.

No, many from his inner circle has said that he never expected to actually win the GOP nomination and merely declared his nomination for president as the greatest infomercial in history.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/...aign-as-the-greatest-infomercial-in-political

So you tell me, how did it work out ?

His brand is mud and he is forced to prop up his businesses by switching from Camp David to Ma a logo in Florida or his Liberty Golf Course in New Jersey.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Working in the private sector they'd still have to play the game. They're not tattooists or taxi drivers or billionaires. They'd have to go to work every day and have the correct opinions and toe the line. Or they'd get the arse.
Of course. That goes without saying.

But the idea that they behave the way they do politically because they'd otherwise starve is patently untrue.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No, many from his inner circle has said that he never expected to actually win the GOP nomination and merely declared his nomination for president as the greatest infomercial in history.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/...aign-as-the-greatest-infomercial-in-political

So you tell me, how did it work out ?

His brand is mud and he is forced to prop up his businesses by switching from Camp David to Ma a logo in Florida or his Liberty Golf Course in New Jersey.
Sounds like the kind of narrative invented by the chattering classes when their noses get bloodied. Nobody could accuse them of not being vindictive.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Well it is. They need to protect their reputations in that world. It's the only thing they have of any value.

Yeah nah, what they have of real value is connections and therefore influence, and of course past decisions that will have benefited future prospective employers.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
At least they understand its currency. Not everyone is lucky enough to be born into wealth.
Most people aren't even born comfortable. Those are the people the modern system is run by and for. The political class is just resentful that Trump has turned it on its head. Sure he's making use of useful idiots but he wouldn't have been able to if the bureaucratic industrial complex hadn't ignored them.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah nah, what they have of real value is connections and therefore influence, and of course past decisions that will have benefited future prospective employers.
'Future prospective employers' still expect the same employee they knew when they were politicians.

Bandwagon

Staff member
'Future prospective employers' still expect the same employee they knew when they were politicians.

Yeah on that I agree entirely, they would still be expecting benefit from government policy through them.

Short of a major scandal, I don't think ( a good )reputation matters all that much. I mean obviously we're talking blanket statements here, which are not always going to hold true. Different company's will have differing needs at any given time, but if there's a board out there that thinks there's no benefit to greater access to government, they're part of an infinitesimally small minority.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Most people aren't even born comfortable. Those are the people the modern system is run by and for. The political class is just resentful that Trump has turned it on its head. Sure he's making use of useful idiots but he wouldn't have been able to if the bureaucratic industrial complex hadn't ignored them.
Agree 100% on that front. The shit state of the system plus his unique position where he can largely do or say what he wants and still be consistent with his established brand has many people worried. I'm personally less concerned but I wonder what the fallout from Trump will be in 5-10 years time. Will it be a moment in time or will what we are seeing now become the new norm for US politics?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah on that I agree entirely, they would still be expecting benefit from government policy through them.

Short of a major scandal, I don't think ( a good )reputation matters all that much. I mean obviously we're talking blanket statements here, which are not always going to hold true. Different company's will have differing needs at any given time, but if there's a board out there that thinks there's no benefit to greater access to government, they're part of an infinitesimally small minority.
You think jobs for former politicians is less of a reward for them than an incentive for current politicians?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Agree 100% on that front. The shit state of the system plus his unique position where he can largely do or say what he wants and still be consistent with his established brand has many people worried. I'm personally less concerned but I wonder what the fallout from Trump will be in 5-10 years time. Will it be a moment in time or will what we are seeing now become the new norm for US politics?
Well I have two horses in the race so I'm rather torn. On one hand 'the system' has been very good to me personally, and the Trumps of the world threaten that. But on the other hand I have a soft spot for the types of people who vote for Trump because that's the demographic I came from. It pisses me off to see them bullied and demonised. "Deplorables" indeed.

Latest posts