What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Bazal

Post Whore
So much signalling. This is what happens when democracy is applied to facts. I blame social media.

"I don't agree with this thing so I'm going to apply a dismissive, irrelevant label to it so I don't have to worry about having my opinion challenged."

Gronk

Staff member
I don't mind a flood of like minded ideas to lower emissions, however this clown wishes to tinker around the edges whilst ignoring the elephant in the room. At least he is admitting there is a problem. It's a start.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
not its not, it depends on who the comedian is, they all have different styles

its not designed to make sense, its all about getting a laugh and different styles can be subjective much like music

this guy never signaled

Love your idea of modern. The video is from 25 years ago!

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I don't mind a flood of like minded ideas to lower emissions, however this clown wishes to tinker around the edges whilst ignoring the elephant in the room. At least he is admitting there is a problem. It's a start.

14% is not insignificant and if it is easy to implement quickly and it can yield results why wouldn't we look at it?

I don't see him suggesting its the only thing we should do.

Source-of-Australian-Emissions.jpg

Gronk

Staff member
14% is not insignificant and if it is easy to implement quickly and it can yield results why wouldn't we look at it?

I don't see him suggesting its the only thing we should do.

Source-of-Australian-Emissions.jpg
As I said, a holistic approach to reducing emissions is the preferred option. I am realistic however and concede that whilst we are dragging the conservatives kicking and screaming towards zero emissions, compromises like the above may need to be implemented. To be honest however, putting a price on carbon will have a better result in lowering transport emissions than tinkering with traffic speed. I would be interested to hear from the traffic consultants on the potential congestion/acceleration problems that lowering speeds would cause. What are the emissions of a lower speed congested thoroughfare vs the current setup.

“Lower travel speeds can result in lower emissions from vehicles but only if traffic-slowing measures maintain smooth driving and do not result in more acceleration,”

^^^ Is this at all possible in a modern metropolis ? I wonder what the emissions of a gridlock 4 lane M5 are vs a 6 lane M5. IMHO traffic bottlenecks would cause excessive emissions vs a free flowing freeway.

Bandwagon

Staff member
As I said, a holistic approach to reducing emissions is the preferred option. I am realistic however and concede that whilst we are dragging the conservatives kicking and screaming towards zero emissions, compromises like the above may need to be implemented. To be honest however, putting a price on carbon will have a better result in lowering transport emissions than tinkering with traffic speed. I would be interested to hear from the traffic consultants on the potential congestion/acceleration problems that lowering speeds would cause. What are the emissions of a lower speed congested thoroughfare vs the current setup.

“Lower travel speeds can result in lower emissions from vehicles but only if traffic-slowing measures maintain smooth driving and do not result in more acceleration,”

^^^ Is this at all possible in a modern metropolis ? I wonder what the emissions of a gridlock 4 lane M5 are vs a 6 lane M5. IMHO traffic bottlenecks would cause excessive emissions vs a free flowing freeway.

If we get all the dole bludging refugees to stop blocking the freeway on their way to the job they f**kin' stole it would solve all these problems.

Gronk

Staff member
Hands up who thinks that Morrison is genuine about a change of direction in climate policy or if he just thinks that this will blow over in time ?

EOmOEjgU8AEHHxg

Bandwagon

Staff member
It's a hot button issue and the despite the efforts of the Luddites within his party, and the overwhelming support of the Murdochracy, the focus that these fires have placed on climate change has again seemingly swung public opinion towards a more meaningful set of policies to deal with it.

We've been here before though, so whilst it could be he's flexing his muscles here on the back of the unlikely election win, reading that the politics of denialism is now fraught with more danger, there's still gonna be a lot of push back within his party and the Nats.

It cost Turnbull his leadership twice, the last but a scant twelve months or so ago. So how much has really changed?

Gronk

Staff member
It's a hot button issue and the despite the efforts of the Luddites within his party, and the overwhelming support of the Murdochracy, the focus that these fires have placed on climate change has again seemingly swung public opinion towards a more meaningful set of policies to deal with it.

We've been here before though, so whilst it could be he's flexing his muscles here on the back of the unlikely election win, reading that the politics of denialism is now fraught with more danger, there's still gonna be a lot of push back within his party and the Nats.

It cost Turnbull his leadership twice, the last but a scant twelve months or so ago. So how much has really changed?

Murdoch has it's own spin on it.

hindy111

Post Whore
I reckon he will go all in on it. Why? He knows he is a cooked chook so may as well go out with a bang

strider

Post Whore
Hands up who thinks that Morrison is genuine about a change of direction in climate policy or if he just thinks that this will blow over in time ?

EOmOEjgU8AEHHxg
Let me guess, you think he is full of shit and the only thing that will make you think otherwise is scomo with a jack hammer in hand demolishing a power station

Gronk

Staff member
Let me guess, you think he is full of shit and the only thing that will make you think otherwise is scomo with a jack hammer in hand demolishing a power station
No, I honestly don't know what their next move will be.

Bandwagon

Staff member
No, I honestly don't know what their next move will be.

At the moment it's just more lip service, which when you look at his record, that's pretty much all there's been. If he was serious enough about it, he would have supported Turnbul's NEG, all the preconditions were there for that to be a lasting policy, Labor had been dragged into it, and they had agreement with the states.

Scotty from Marketing holds his support for Turnbul and the NEG, and Mr potato head is left holding his dick again wondering why counting to 49 is so f**king hard.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Maybe merkins are finally realising that politicians aren't leaders and don't provide leadership. They exist to follow and serve the electorate.

Gronk

Staff member
Maybe merkins are finally realising that politicians aren't leaders and don't provide leadership. They exist to follow and serve the electorate.

He may well be serving his electorates however like SSM is ignoring popular opinion. Sure he is playing to his base (and how Trump of him), however at the same time is becoming more unpopular. Even ignoring his last poll, he needs to find compromise to regain the faith. Last week when David Speers put him under the microscope, he danced around the NEG. He said that he was implementing everything under the NEG, which were weasel words as it is obvious that he is now in the same position as Turnbull.

Meanwhile Dutton has been conspicuous by his absence. :fire: