What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Do you think it's a coincidence that diminishing union influence in the private sector coincides with sluggish wages growth and an ever growing gap between the growth of corporate earnings and the earnings of their employees?

I don't.

Did you consider the possibility that each are driven by correlations with other factors, or reverse causality? That is, the decline in Unionisation could be driven by real or perceived declines in its effectiveness for securing higher wages or better conditions.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Bullshit.

No, it's not.

I accept things are multi faceted, and there are many reasons for the decline in unionisation of our workforce. To your point unions are also a victim of their own success, much of that which we enjoy as enshrined in legislation is due to that success, yet in turn makes them somewhat redundant to many.

I am concerned mostly with the imbalance between the power of capital and that of labour.

As I posted earlier, I feel it has swung too far in the favour of capital. Which is reflected in the ever increasing wealth gap in the west.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No, it's not.

I accept things are multi faceted, and there are many reasons for the decline in unionisation of our workforce. To your point unions are also a victim of their own success, much of that which we enjoy as enshrined in legislation is due to that success, yet in turn makes them somewhat redundant to many.

I am concerned mostly with the imbalance between the power of capital and that of labour.

As I posted earlier, I feel it has swung too far in the favour of capital. Which is reflected in the ever increasing wealth gap in the west.
Fair point.

They are definitely a victim of their own early success and as a result many people just accept the great conditions that we have without thinking where they came from. But equally, a few of them have shit in their nest in recent times which spoils it for any of the remaining good ones (which is probably the majority).

No, it's not.

'Bullshit' was simply a reply on a par with 'Yes'.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Fair point.

They are definitely a victim of their own early success and as a result many people just accept the great conditions that we have without thinking where they came from. But equally, a few of them have shit in their nest in recent times which spoils it for any of the remaining good ones (which is probably the majority).

Yeah, there's good and bad everywhere. Noting is immune.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Housing affordability is the price that you pay when you strive to be a dynamic global city.

There are no highly liveable, low unemployment, financial hub type cities that have affordable real estate. Supply v demand takes care of this.

The solution is Turnbull’s 30 minute city with multiple cbd zones linked by efficient and frequent public transport. He’s in an ideas man that guy. He should run for PM one day.
I put it to you that plenty of the people living in places like Sydney never wanted to them to be 'dynamic global cities'. That is a situation that was foisted upon them by more powerful stakeholders.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No, it's not.

Capital scales whereas labour doesn't.

Latest posts