What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Eelogical

Referee
It was a reference to one of them. Just passing on what the locals are telling me. I never had to access either, personally , so there's an element on ignorance on my part.

Gronk

Staff member
Gee as much as ScoMo's 2020 was looking good on the back on his Covid leadership, his handling of the argy bargy with China is poor. He should have flown there and smoothed shit over and not allowed each country to flap their dirty laundry out in the open. Shit is escalating and it will take a long time to unwind.

Now there is a threat that this PNG fish processing plant will give the Chinese navy access to those ports.

Get it sorted ScoMo.

hindy111

Post Whore
Gee as much as ScoMo's 2020 was looking good on the back on his Covid leadership, his handling of the argy bargy with China is poor. He should have flown there and smoothed shit over and not allowed each country to flap their dirty laundry out in the open. Shit is escalating and it will take a long time to unwind.

Now there is a threat that this PNG fish processing plant will give the Chinese navy access to those ports.

Get it sorted ScoMo.

Why though. They are pushing Aus around like a bully. What your suggesting is we just sell out and let them push us around.
We had our eggs in one basket. Now we can just move things around. There are places like India who we can become closer with.

If anything the rest of the world would be seeing how China is acting and be cautious themself of being trade partners.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Smacks of naivety. We're paying the price of a USA quid pro quo stunt.
I think it is a less naive statement than “He needs to get on a plane and sort it out”.

In the words of Rudd, ScoMo should “put the megaphone down”, but I think it is foolish to assume that a face-to-face meeting was:

1. Possible
2. Not sought
3. Going to magically sort out a complex issue.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
On the met coal ban - it’s not sustainable and won’t last. China will set a new import quota for 2021 shortly and it will include our met coal. They will be seriously hurting themselves in the long term if they don’t take our sweet, sweet, black goodness.

The PNG “fishery” is a worry though. How do you stop sovereign nations like PNG who will find it hard to ignore the $$$?

Gronk

Staff member
I think it is a less naive statement than “He needs to get on a plane and sort it out”.

In the words of Rudd, ScoMo should “put the megaphone down”, but I think it is foolish to assume that a face-to-face meeting was:

1. Possible
2. Not sought
3. Going to magically sort out a complex issue.

Well I did say that it will take a long time to unravel, so clearly ScoMo extending a hand of friendship is the first step. We have become reliant on their trade and the boost to the education sector and now is not the right time for egotistic diplomacy. Start mending bridges and end this f**kery.

Gronk

Staff member
Why though. They are pushing Aus around like a bully. What your suggesting is we just sell out and let them push us around.
We had our eggs in one basket. Now we can just move things around. There are places like India who we can become closer with.

If anything the rest of the world would be seeing how China is acting and be cautious themself of being trade partners.

I never said that we should bend over and cop it from behind. However it is abundantly apparent that we have diverted from dealing with matters of trade through normal diplomatic channels and instead are reacting in door stop interviews. Seasoned diplomats are cringing at the way this is being handled, with all the style and grace of Mr Bean.

Gronk

Staff member
On the met coal ban - it’s not sustainable and won’t last. China will set a new import quota for 2021 shortly and it will include our met coal. They will be seriously hurting themselves in the long term if they don’t take our sweet, sweet, black goodness.

The PNG “fishery” is a worry though. How do you stop sovereign nations like PNG who will find it hard to ignore the $$$?

The fishery thing mirrors China's attempts to supply cable internet and build new ports for various south pacific neighbours. We have had to step in and provide the cable gratis. The modus operandi is for these fledging countries to be in debt to China.

It just seems that we (this government) has struggled this year to keep all the balls in the air. They have lost focus and we are paying the price. Not only for the current problems, but our arrogant and disrespectful attitude to the pacific islands when it comes to our reduction in foreign aid under the liberal government and of course, the lunacy that is our energy policy.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
The fishery thing mirrors China's attempts to supply cable internet and build new ports for various south pacific neighbours. We have had to step in and provide the cable gratis. The modus operandi is for these fledging countries to be in debt to China.

It just seems that we (this government) has struggled this year to keep all the balls in the air. They have lost focus and we are paying the price. Not only for the current problems, but our arrogant and disrespectful attitude to the pacific islands when it comes to our reduction in foreign aid under the liberal government and of course, the lunacy that is our energy policy.

The three musketeers. I'm a flip flopper when it comes to voting, but those 3 make my skin crawl.

hindy111

Post Whore
I never said that we should bend over and cop it from behind. However it is abundantly apparent that we have diverted from dealing with matters of trade through normal diplomatic channels and instead are reacting in door stop interviews. Seasoned diplomats are cringing at the way this is being handled, with all the style and grace of Mr Bean.

Well if it was me I would of just told them to f**k of