What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

strider

Post Whore
Was told something interesting yesterday, apparently the most underperforming articles on the SMH/TheAge (which translates to not many people reading them) are stories about climate change. Surprising.

strider

Post Whore
Other fun fact, the streaming service Stan was going to be called .... Ned .... but some Tasmanian held the legal rights to the name Ned and wouldnt give em up.

Gronk

Staff member
Was told something interesting yesterday, apparently the most underperforming articles on the SMH/TheAge (which translates to not many people reading them) are stories about climate change. Surprising.
I think the issue of climate change is settled in most peoples minds and few are grey about it. There is the “just get it done camp” and then there are those with the opposite stance. Indeed the only thing to argue about these days is the % goals by 2030 or 2050. Occasionally you get the random heckler like Matt Canavan or Malcolm Roberts or Alan Jones.

941D75CC-056C-4DDE-99D4-A870BE6DEC3D.jpeg

Of course we also have the global view where the cookers have switched their focus to the WEF Davos faceless men controlling the world via the Great Reset whereby the climate hoax figures significantly in their evil plans of control. Mwahahahaha.

strider

Post Whore
Well actually it was explained that they believe people, get that information elsewhere where more significant investment is made in that topic with the example given as the ABC.

Gronk

Staff member
Well actually it was explained that they believe people, get that information elsewhere where more significant investment is made in that topic with the example given as the ABC.
When you say investment, I guess you are talking about the investment of time and the frequency of reporting ? Fair enough, because the new government is actually giving a f**k about it.

Chipmunk

Coach
I don't normally comment on current affairs and politics, as it is an NRL forum after all, but is there actually any data published that demonstrates exactly what the decrease in global emissions and the earths temperature will be in 2030 as a direct result of Australia committing to 43% by 2030, instead of whatever it was before (28 or something maybe?).

Also, is there data that demonstrates exactly what the decrease in global emissions and the earths temperature will be in 2050 as a direct result of Australia committing to Net Zero by 2050?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I don't normally comment on current affairs and politics, as it is an NRL forum after all, but is there actually any data published that demonstrates exactly what the decrease in global emissions and the earths temperature will be in 2030 as a direct result of Australia committing to 43% by 2030, instead of whatever it was before (28 or something maybe?).

Also, is there data that demonstrates exactly what the decrease in global emissions and the earths temperature will be in 2050 as a direct result of Australia committing to Net Zero by 2050?
A draft data set has been prepared. Its being peer reviewed by Hollywood Jesus.

Bandwagon

Staff member

No

Though Australia acting on it's own will make f**k all difference.

Fortunately that's not the case, so it doesn't really warrant much consideration.

Chipmunk

Coach
No

Though Australia acting on it's own will make f**k all difference.

Fortunately that's not the case, so it doesn't really warrant much consideration.
Ok, so is there any data that demonstrates exactly what the decrease in global emissions and the earths temperature will be in 2030 and 2050 from all of these countries taking all these measures? I assume there is??

King-Gutho94

Coach

Pretty disgusting and embarrassing for the AFL especially with these allegations coming out on there biggest week of the year being the AFL GF.

I would hope this doesn't happen in the NRL clubs but nothing would surprise me anymore.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Ok, so is there any data that demonstrates exactly what the decrease in global emissions and the earths temperature will be in 2030 and 2050 from all of these countries taking all these measures? I assume there is??

There's plenty of stuff out there that shows or more properly attempts to show the effects of various levels of measures over time.

You have to understand though that there's no "exactly", 'cause it's all modelling and models are far from perfect. Also the prevailing thought at this point in time is that no matter what we do we will not reverse rises that have already been baked in, we'll only now limit those rises to certain levels.

Chipmunk

Coach
There's plenty of stuff out there that shows or more properly attempts to show the effects of various levels of measures over time.

You have to understand though that there's no "exactly", 'cause it's all modelling and models are far from perfect. Also the prevailing thought at this point in time is that no matter what we do we will not reverse rises that have already been baked in, we'll only now limit those rises to certain levels.
Fair enough.

So what exactly does Net Zero by 2050 for Australia look like? If is "Net Zero", I assume you can do things like continue to mine and expert coal, but you can't have any planes flying around the country to offset that? (I'm using an extreme example I realise.)

Gronk

Staff member
Fair enough.

So what exactly does Net Zero by 2050 for Australia look like? If is "Net Zero", I assume you can do things like continue to mine and expert coal, but you can't have any planes flying around the country to offset that? (I'm using an extreme example I realise.)
The Poms reckon that they will achieve net zero from the following:

The plan focuses on increasing ambition in the following areas:
  • advancing offshore wind
  • driving the growth of low carbon hydrogen
  • delivering new and advanced nuclear power
  • accelerating the shift to zero emission vehicles
  • green public transport, cycling and walking
  • ‘jet zero’ and green ships
  • greener buildings
  • investing in carbon capture, usage and storage
  • protecting our natural environment
  • green finance and innovation
The ten point plan will mobilise £12 billion of government investment, and potentially 3 times as much from the private sector, to create and support up to 250,000 green jobs.

Chipmunk

Coach
The Poms reckon that they will achieve net zero from the following:

The plan focuses on increasing ambition in the following areas:
  • advancing offshore wind
  • driving the growth of low carbon hydrogen
  • delivering new and advanced nuclear power
  • accelerating the shift to zero emission vehicles
  • green public transport, cycling and walking
  • ‘jet zero’ and green ships
  • greener buildings
  • investing in carbon capture, usage and storage
  • protecting our natural environment
  • green finance and innovation
The ten point plan will mobilise £12 billion of government investment, and potentially 3 times as much from the private sector, to create and support up to 250,000 green jobs.

OK, so there is one key point there, they're planning on 'delivering new and advanced nuclear power' which will provide base load power.

What are we planning to use for base load power instead?

I've always found that we're very hypocritical here as a country, we're one of biggest exporters of uranium for nuclear power in the world, but we refuse to use it ourselves. I assume we will go the same way with coal eventually?

Bandwagon

Staff member
Fair enough.

Net is net, so emissions less absorption. So for every bit of emission created, it's offset by the same amount removed from the atmosphere.

A simple example would be if a mature tree absorbs the same amount of carbon as emitted by a car, you would need to have an extra mature tree for every car being used.

Obviously it gets a hell of lot more complicated than that, for example with the export of coal who's responsible for the emissions of burning it? The place of origin that benefited from the profit from the sale, or the place of consumption that benefited from the energy produced?

Chipmunk

Coach
Net is net, so emissions less absorption. So for every bit of emission created, it's offset by the same amount removed from the atmosphere.

A simple example would be if a mature tree absorbs the same amount of carbon as emitted by a car, you would need to have an extra mature tree for every car being used.

Obviously it gets a hell of lot more complicated than that, for example with the export of coal who's responsible for the emissions of burning it? The place of origin that benefited from the profit from the sale, or the place of consumption that benefited from the energy produced?
Does the coal we export now not count towards Australia's global emissions?