What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Dead hard rockers week

Kinda like Spector without the madness and, you know, murdering.

Well Jim Steinman wrote the whole Bat Out of Hell songs and shopped it around to various record companies, but credit should also go to producer Todd Rundgren who was responsible for the "Wall of Sound" sound on the recordings. Apparently Rundgren told the musicians that he was trying to send up Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run sound (I know Sam Shinazzi may take exception to that comment / comparison) but its interesting that several members of the E Street Band played on the album. But the sound of both Born to Run and Bat Out of Hell both go back to the Phil Spector Wall of Sound thing.

Anyway, I loved it when it first came out, got sick of it when it was flogged to death on commercial radio and got to love it again when I bought a vinyl copy of the album in the 90s at a garage sale for a buck. For mine "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" is a highlight.

Can still remember driving Tractor out west listening to radio-- 1 station-and ABC-- and Screaming louder than a bat out of hell when it came on and i tried to change to ABC or shut it offf without losing my line. but there were a few songs like that.

snout

First Grade
Well Jim Steinman wrote the whole Bat Out of Hell songs and shopped it around to various record companies, but credit should also go to producer Todd Rundgren who was responsible for the "Wall of Sound" sound on the recordings. Apparently Rundgren told the musicians that he was trying to send up Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run sound (I know Sam Shinazzi may take exception to that comment / comparison) but its interesting that several members of the E Street Band played on the album. But the sound of both Born to Run and Bat Out of Hell both go back to the Phil Spector Wall of Sound thing.

Anyway, I loved it when it first came out, got sick of it when it was flogged to death on commercial radio and got to love it again when I bought a vinyl copy of the album in the 90s at a garage sale for a buck. For mine "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" is a highlight.
I watched a doco about the 2 of them in the early days. Shopping the album around.
Every single record company laughed them out of the place.
Theatrical rubbish nobody would listen to.
Finally some back street company gave them a chance.
Was in the top 10 selling albums for over 20 years.
Stienman said to producer rundgren can they bring a motor bike into the studio to record the bat out of hell intro. Rundgren showed how he picked up a guitar and played the motorbike rev perfectly.

Nobody could write a 10 minute rock gem like steinman. He released a great album 'Bad for good' when meatloaf was too busy to record.
Its excellent.

Wrote hits for celine. Air supply. Bonnie tyler. Some of their best known and biggest hits written by him.

I bet you say that to all the boys.

Last edited:

Thanks for that Tom -never knew Todd was involved. For me Todd Rundgren never got the accolades he very much deserved - Saw him at Revesby Workers 6-7 years ago for $60 at a time when Tina Arena was asking $250!

Thanks for that Tom -never knew Todd was involved. For me Todd Rundgren never got the accolades he very much deserved - Saw him at Revesby Workers 6-7 years ago for $60 at a time when Tina Arena was asking $250!

I am still kicking myself for not seeing Todd Rundgren when he came out here recently. Have loved him since the mid 70s.

shadowboxer

First Grade
RIP Les McKeown - Bay City Rollers.
Can’t believe this hasn’t been mentioned as yet. Bit before my time but this mob were smashing it back in the day.
The tartan was a bit much and in recent times they were a pisstake for many a comedian but respect where due.
Too young at 65 Les

Quigs

Immortal
Not a rocker but a rocket man.

Michael Collins the bloke who was incharge of the orbiting capsule as Armstrong and Aldrin were descending to the lunar surface, has flown his last mission.

He is off somewhere where many have gone before him but this time he is not the navigator / commander of the pod.

He was 90 years of age

Roger Hawkins, drummer who provided rhythmic punch for Aretha Franklin and Wilson Pickett, dies at 75

Roger Hawkins, a drummer who was the often-uncredited rhythmic driving force behind dozens of R&B and rock hits of the 1960s and 1970s, including Percy Sledge’s “When a Man Loves a Woman,” Aretha Franklin’s “Respect,” the Staple Singers’ “I’ll Take You There” and Bob Seger’s “Old Time Rock & Roll,” died May 20 at his home in Sheffield, Alabama. He was 75.

Quigs

Immortal
We have just lost our Cronulla's own version of Uncle Nick or what could of been if his takeover was successful.

Controversial businessman who was once was in the running to take over the Cronulla Sharks and was a former Sydney Swans owner Geoffrey Edelsten dies aged 78

Who knows if things had of turned out alright back then all of our players might of had their own pink helicopters by now.

6cbfae0cf0b8cff6687ea640ee3ba348

I remember the Edels Record Stores, back in the day there was a great one in Bankstown Square with lots of EPs on display. I still have a few from there. I also remember his superclinic near Railway Square with the white grand piano in the waiting room.