What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Metallica are f*cking awesome

fish eel

Immortal
George Harrison didn't have the quantity of great songs, but he certainly had the quality.
Both those songs are amongst The Beatles greatest.
'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' is brilliant, and 'Here Comes the Sun' is as good as an acoustic song that can be found anywhere.

I went to a great show last year at the opera house - Tim Rogers, Phil Jamison, Josh Pyke and Chris Cheney with a nine piece band playing the white album. Chris Cheney did a terrific job on while my guitar gently weeps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyKvOaYEcD4

As for Ringo, amongst both my little Suity's favourite songs are 'Octopus's Garden' and 'Yellow Submarine' both terrific songs in their own right. Ringo did however, produce some better stuff after he left the Beatles.

BTW, the aforementioned 'little Suity's' (aged 6 and 8) love The Beatles, so no doubt, The Beatles will live on forever, just like Tchaicovsky, Beethoven, Mozart, etc.... have done for over 100 years.

Suity

First beatle to have a solo number I believe.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I'm pretty sure it was God playing on my guitar gently weeps, George writes it but doesn;t get to play lead on it.

Springs

First Grade
Clapton was lead.

I don't think Harrison's songs are the best songs by the Beatles, but he definitely has the best in Abbey Road.

jayjayselmes

Juniors
double bass, double pedal, lol

its double kick douchebag and I was playing it when you were just an itch in your dads pants

haha lets have a drum off!!! I will bring my Tama Star Classic Maple and my Iron cobra double kick and you can bring Your Dolphin kit. We will choose a song of your choice to play. Or if your good we can simply play rudiments to a metranome or is 8th notes to fast for you? :lol:

jayjayselmes

Juniors
Yeah I agree. Although "Death Magnetic" was a step in the right direction I thought. It wasn't as good as their old stuff but it was better than "St. Anger".

Although having said that, I thought that "St. Anger" is a potentially good album - it was just poorly produced. The drumming and guitars sounded poor. Shame, really.

St Anger had god lyrics and had the right idea "BUT" I would have:

1. Thrown away Lars snare drum garbage can sound
2. Put solos back in
3. Reduced the length of the songs to 3-5mins
4. Produced better.

If they had done that the album would have been pretty good.

jayjayselmes

Juniors
Kurt cobain was genius and nevermind one of the best albums ever released. Some great songs on it, cobain had a knack of writing simple hooks that very few had. His band and that album changed the face of mainstream music forever. They way it mixed what were basically pop songs with a punk ethos, whilst sounding simple, was brilliant. Lyrically, he wasn't too bad either.

People need to realise that a good drummer doesnt have to have blistering hand or foot/leg speed to be a good drummer.

Some of these bands in some songs are majorly guilty of over playing a song with double bass or blistering hand speed that totally is not need for a song.

Ringo Starr is one of those drummers. Not flashy but the Beatles and Ringo are the best selling artist in HISTORY!!!!

jayjayselmes

Juniors
While were on the subject of Drummers also what do you Guys think of Disturbed?

I am going next april to Acer arena to see Disturbed foer the first time. Finally disturbed are getting the recognition they deserve. The recent album Asylum is some of the best music I have heard in a while if you appreciate quality rock.

Mike Wengren the Drummer is one of my idols. Nothing to flashy and alot of simple 8th and 16th notes on the double bass but very well respected in the drumming community.

Here is there latest single "the Animal"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qxc2IU8PQ4

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
haha lets have a drum off!!! I will bring my Tama Star Classic Maple and my Iron cobra double kick and you can bring Your Dolphin kit. We will choose a song of your choice to play. Or if your good we can simply play rudiments to a metranome or is 8th notes to fast for you? :lol:

looking good doesn't mean you're any good pretty boy

anything by Danny Carey will be fine

Kornstar

Coach
While were on the subject of Drummers also what do you Guys think of Disturbed?

I am going next april to Acer arena to see Disturbed foer the first time. Finally disturbed are getting the recognition they deserve. The recent album Asylum is some of the best music I have heard in a while if you appreciate quality rock.

Mike Wengren the Drummer is one of my idols. Nothing to flashy and alot of simple 8th and 16th notes on the double bass but very well respected in the drumming community.

Here is there latest single "the Animal"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qxc2IU8PQ4

Very ordinary band, the first 3 albums were decent but you can only here different variations of the same riff style so many time........

I don't mind their music, they are definitely super talented but the singer is a douche and I don't think his choruses ever go anywhere! He is a good lyric writer but melody maker he kind of falls flat.....the music has potential but he don't!!

If you want to hear his best work listen to the Queen of the Damned soundtrack and the song Forsaken, Jonathan Davis wrote the song and sang it in the actual movie, for contractual reasons Jonathan Davis couldn't sing on the soundtrack so there are a bunch of singers there singing the songs, anyways that song he sounds great in!

Even in their first few albums songs like Stupify and Sickness don't get to the level they should considering how good the actual music is......

I have seen then live twice and they sound good but not mind blowing, the singer is embarrassing though, he talks like a cult leader, it sounds dumb imo!

If they are the best modern metal has though (which I know they're not, only from a mainstream point they are though, it appears) then the metal world is in trouble......

Eelementary

Post Whore
St Anger had god lyrics and had the right idea "BUT" I would have:

1. Thrown away Lars snare drum garbage can sound
2. Put solos back in
3. Reduced the length of the songs to 3-5mins
4. Produced better.

If they had done that the album would have been pretty good.

Definitely.

TBH when I first heard "St. Anger" the single I loved it - it was fast, angry, brutal...

But I kept re-listening to it over and over and the poor production and bad drumming just drowned out an otherwise good song. The clip was badass, too - the Metallica guys playing at a prison. Awesome.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Very ordinary band, the first 3 albums were decent but you can only here different variations of the same riff style so many time........

I don't mind their music, they are definitely super talented but the singer is a douche and I don't think his choruses ever go anywhere! He is a good lyric writer but melody maker he kind of falls flat.....the music has potential but he don't!!

If you want to hear his best work listen to the Queen of the Damned soundtrack and the song Forsaken, Jonathan Davis wrote the song and sang it in the actual movie, for contractual reasons Jonathan Davis couldn't sing on the soundtrack so there are a bunch of singers there singing the songs, anyways that song he sounds great in!

Even in their first few albums songs like Stupify and Sickness don't get to the level they should considering how good the actual music is......

I have seen then live twice and they sound good but not mind blowing, the singer is embarrassing though, he talks like a cult leader, it sounds dumb imo!

If they are the best modern metal has though (which I know they're not, only from a mainstream point they are though, it appears) then the metal world is in trouble......

Jonathan Davis is a pretty good song-writer. I don't like his voice but I found out the other day he wrote the music AND lyrics for a song that In Flames played (apparently). Good stuff.

As for Disturbed..I liked them when the singer did the whole barking thing that he used to do. Their first two albums were OK and after that they got boring.

Eelementary

Post Whore
People need to realise that a good drummer doesnt have to have blistering hand or foot/leg speed to be a good drummer.

Some of these bands in some songs are majorly guilty of over playing a song with double bass or blistering hand speed that totally is not need for a song.

Ringo Starr is one of those drummers. Not flashy but the Beatles and Ringo are the best selling artist in HISTORY!!!!

I don't disagree. I'm not a musician myself (just a musical fan), but IMO Martin Lopez wasn't super quick, but he had a great sense of timing and rhythm. He was a perfect fit for Opeth.

I always give the Flo Mounier example because yes - he's insanely quick. But then again he does play for a fairly brutal band!

I have to admit I respect all drummers, even Lars - it is a tough instrument to master. I just don't feel that Lars is as talented as his colleagues over at Metallica. Hetfield and Hammett? Check. Trujillo? Check. Lars? Hmm...Maybe not so much lol.

mrpwnd

Bench
I don't disagree. I'm not a musician myself (just a musical fan), but IMO Martin Lopez wasn't super quick, but he had a great sense of timing and rhythm. He was a perfect fit for Opeth.

I always give the Flo Mounier example because yes - he's insanely quick. But then again he does play for a fairly brutal band!

I have to admit I respect all drummers, even Lars - it is a tough instrument to master. I just don't feel that Lars is as talented as his colleagues over at Metallica. Hetfield and Hammett? Check. Trujillo? Check. Lars? Hmm...Maybe not so much lol.
Trujillo's pretty good, but I do wish Cliff Burton was still alive, but of a sad end for the bass guitarist that IMO moulded best with Metallica.

I still haven't ruled out Claypool joining Metallica for a few gigs :)

Kornstar

Coach
Jonathan Davis is a pretty good song-writer. I don't like his voice but I found out the other day he wrote the music AND lyrics for a song that In Flames played (apparently). Good stuff.

As for Disturbed..I liked them when the singer did the whole barking thing that he used to do. Their first two albums were OK and after that they got boring.

He is a genius, but that is from someone who is biased.....i believe you are correct about In Flames, i heard the same thing.

Agree on Disturbed, i say the first 3 albums were good and the last 2 have been boring. The only reason i say 10,000 Fists is good is because it has their best song (I'm Alive) on it......the resy is ok but because of that song, it is worth it :)

Eelementary

Post Whore
Trujillo's pretty good, but I do wish Cliff Burton was still alive, but of a sad end for the bass guitarist that IMO moulded best with Metallica.

I still haven't ruled out Claypool joining Metallica for a few gigs :)

Agreed!

He is a genius, but that is from someone who is biased.....i believe you are correct about In Flames, i heard the same thing.

Agree on Disturbed, i say the first 3 albums were good and the last 2 have been boring. The only reason i say 10,000 Fists is good is because it has their best song (I'm Alive) on it......the resy is ok but because of that song, it is worth it :)

Agreed! It's hard to believe that the same generation (give or take a little) gave us Jonathan Davis - and Fred Durst. Polar opposites!

jayjayselmes

Juniors

I thought 10,000 fist's was one tof the best albums by Disturbed!!!

songs like

1. 10,000 fists
2. Im alive
3. Son of a plunder
4. Just Stop
5. Stricken
6. Land of confusion

Then Indestructibe came out weith songs like,

1. The night
2. Inside the Fire
3. Enough
4. Haunted.

And the new Album Asylum is probably there best album yet!

Latest posts