What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Metallica are f*cking awesome

mrpwnd

Bench
Indeed, good sir. I don't deny it's a classic - but personally, I always felt "Imagine" was one of Lennon's more bland offerings. But he and McCartney were pure magic together, and Lennon himself was an absolute genius.

But I think you're right - people take musical genius for granted these days. IMO blokes who don't get enough respect (people like Michael Jackson [the greatest entertainer who ever lived IMO], Eric Clapton and Mark Knopfler [two of the greatest guitar players I have ever seen], McCartney, Lennon, Johnny Cash...) get put aside while society puts blokes who can't even compete on a pedestal. I mean, sure - Nirvana were influential and all...But why is Kurt Cobain put on such a high pedestal, whilst the guys I listed miss out? :crazy:

People generally just don't write music like those blokes did IMO. Shame, really.
To be fair, a lot of the musicians in the 70s were high off some of the most craziest mushrooms:D

Kornstar

Coach
I think Lennon, McCartney, Jackson and others mentioned get all the props they deserve, I don't think they are EVER undervalued for their gifts! Geniuses is a term they are all associated with.

Kurt Cobain was also a genius, just because he wasn't technically brilliant does not diminish is obvious genius, just because he spawned a generation of garbage does not mean he was bad! Another who was taken too young.....and I'm not even a massive Nirvana fan but I see the genius!

Most songwriters who manage to make a living out of music are talented, it is the substance behind the songs that generally set them apart! Most of today's music will be forgotten because it lacks this......

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think what blokes like Lennon, Randy, Clapton, Satriani, Page, Jackson and Mercury did was make a very clear gap between the average music nuffy and themselves in terms of professionalism and skill.
The only thing Cobain and Nirvana ever did was create a massive boom of untalented kids taking up guitar, bass and drumming lessons and making crappy, angsty and 'political' bullsh*t in their small garage. The only person I rate from Nirvana was probably Grohl, even then I don't even rate him that much.
Modern music nowadays is so dominated by hip hop, fast talking(rap loooool) and auto-tune, no one cares if you actually have skill, quite sad really.

Good points!

To be fair, a lot of the musicians in the 70s were high off some of the most craziest mushrooms:D

Haha yeah! Brought about some awesome music though!

that was my bridal waltz song

It's a nice song, but a little over-played by TV and whatnot. He wrote some other songs that were breathtaking that rarely get a mention.

I think Lennon, McCartney, Jackson and others mentioned get all the props they deserve, I don't think they are EVER undervalued for their gifts! Geniuses is a term they are all associated with.

Kurt Cobain was also a genius, just because he wasn't technically brilliant does not diminish is obvious genius, just because he spawned a generation of garbage does not mean he was bad! Another who was taken too young.....and I'm not even a massive Nirvana fan but I see the genius!

Most songwriters who manage to make a living out of music are talented, it is the substance behind the songs that generally set them apart! Most of today's music will be forgotten because it lacks this......

Good points, mate.

I never liked Nirvana at all - but I can see that Cobain had something that made him stand out (though it wasn't his voice!).

But when people discuss Cobain and Mercury/Lennon/McCartney in the same breath it puzzles me. But it's cool.

Kornstar

Coach
Good points, mate.

I never liked Nirvana at all - but I can see that Cobain had something that made him stand out (though it wasn't his voice!).

But when people discuss Cobain and Mercury/Lennon/McCartney in the same breath it puzzles me. But it's cool.

Can't argue with that about mentioning them in the same breath, the longevity is where it's at I guess and Cobain never got that chance. Remember early beatles stuff was very basic and simple BUT awesome at the same time, they added more complexity and creativeness as they went on and tried different techniques etc.

You are correct though, the others mentioned are a level above Cobain.

As the topic is about Metallica I will add that they went backwards, their music sounds like they aren't even trying! Which is a shame as they were once geniuses!

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yeah I agree. Although "Death Magnetic" was a step in the right direction I thought. It wasn't as good as their old stuff but it was better than "St. Anger".

Although having said that, I thought that "St. Anger" is a potentially good album - it was just poorly produced. The drumming and guitars sounded poor. Shame, really.

Kornstar

Coach
Yeah I agree. Although "Death Magnetic" was a step in the right direction I thought. It wasn't as good as their old stuff but it was better than "St. Anger".

Although having said that, I thought that "St. Anger" is a potentially good album - it was just poorly produced. The drumming and guitars sounded poor. Shame, really.

Yep, a step in the right direction but i'm just not sure they really care that much about writing music anymore, atleast not metal but they have to if they want to keep making money i guess.

Watching Some Kind Of Monster explained St.Anger, it was never going to be good at the stage they were at in their lives etc.

Megadeth (i use Megadeth because they are around the same age, band wise and still writing and touring) may not be as good as they once were but atleast you can tell Dave still loves music and is genuinly trying to create something.......will be intersting to see what their next album sounds like since the original bass player is back now.......

fish eel

Immortal
Kurt cobain was genius and nevermind one of the best albums ever released. Some great songs on it, cobain had a knack of writing simple hooks that very few had. His band and that album changed the face of mainstream music forever. They way it mixed what were basically pop songs with a punk ethos, whilst sounding simple, was brilliant. Lyrically, he wasn't too bad either.

84 Baby

Referee

St Anger starts really well with Frantic and St Anger. Then combination of production, Lars' tonky drum and some of the music itself really lets it down. But if you take it just on the emotion of the band, as Korny said it was never going to be a good album, just 3 dudes, Hetfield in particular, thrashing out some problems.

forward pass

Coach
. But he and McCartney were pure magic together, and Lennon himself was an absolute genius.

Just to correct you there - Lennon and McCartney hardly ever wrote any songs together! Even though all their Beatles songs were labelled as written by 'Lennon/McCartney' this was just a contractual thing and actually wrote very different songs to each other.

Springs

First Grade
Just to correct you there - Lennon and McCartney hardly ever wrote any songs together! Even though all their Beatles songs were labelled as written by 'Lennon/McCartney' this was just a contractual thing and actually wrote very different songs to each other.

I wouldn't say 'hardly ever'.
All of their early stuff was written together. As they got older they drifted apart. They wrote most songs separate, but one would add a little bit to the others when they showed each other. For example on 'She's Leaving Home' McCartney wrote the verses and Lennon wrote the chorus. While they didn't write together as much as the early years, to say that a lot of the songs were still written by Lennon-McCartney would still be accurate.

fish eel

Immortal
I wouldn't say 'hardly ever'.
All of their early stuff was written together. As they got older they drifted apart. They wrote most songs separate, but one would add a little bit to the others when they showed each other. For example on 'She's Leaving Home' McCartney wrote the verses and Lennon wrote the chorus. While they didn't write together as much as the early years, to say that a lot of the songs were still written by Lennon-McCartney would still be accurate.

Yes, thats right, they often wrote independantly, but with input form the other.

Mind you, the best beatles somg IMO was written George Harrison.

And, George Harrison never gave the world this trip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYhTye_A9H0

Suitman

Post Whore
George Harrison didn't have the quantity of great songs, but he certainly had the quality.
Both those songs are amongst The Beatles greatest.
'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' is brilliant, and 'Here Comes the Sun' is as good as an acoustic song that can be found anywhere.

As for Ringo, amongst both my little Suity's favourite songs are 'Octopus's Garden' and 'Yellow Submarine' both terrific songs in their own right. Ringo did however, produce some better stuff after he left the Beatles.

BTW, the aforementioned 'little Suity's' (aged 6 and 8) love The Beatles, so no doubt, The Beatles will live on forever, just like Tchaicovsky, Beethoven, Mozart, etc.... have done for over 100 years.

Suity

Latest posts