What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT - NSW side all but picked already

hybrideel

Bench
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...orm/story-fn31yxah-1226615317539#.UWMpfznm7s0

New South Wales coach Laurie Daley reveals the Blues selection panel have chosen several players for Origin I and a handful of players that are on the outer.

Blues wrecking ball Tony Williams is one of those players whose recent form could cost him a representative jersey.

"I couldn’t justify T-Rex’s position in the side if I had to pick it today", Daley said on Monday Night with Matty Johns.
However, Daley also knows he can't ignore T-Rex's devastating Origin Series debut.
"Before the season started I had Tony Williams in the squad so I'm not going to give up on T-Rex," he said.
"If he plays to his potential he is someone we need in our team."

Sydney Roosters halfback and Blues incumbent Mitchell Pearce will retain his position for the opening clash against the Maroons despite copping criticism for his past performances on the game's biggest stage.
"I think I've made my choice clear in terms of who will play No.7, that will be Mitchell Pearce as long as he's fit," Daley said.
"Mitch has had nine games and the last couple of years we’ve invested heavily in him, he's 23 and I think his best football is front of him, and that’s not to downplay Adam Reynold’s performance at all this season, but when I pick a player I want to make sure I know they're ready.
"It happened to me, I was selected , I wasn't ready and it knocks your confidence around, it’s a different beast and a different game and you’ve got to be ready to go."
Given Jarryd Hayne's past performances in Origin, his inconsistant club form with Parramatta will be ignored.
The speedster has played the majority of his Origin football on the wing and Daley says he will not replace Brett Stewart for the Blues' custodian role.

"I'll play Jarryd on the wing, his best football in Origin has been on the wing, he could play fullback but at this point in time he hasn't consistently proved himself at Origin level," Daley said.
"Brett Stewart showed us what he’s capable of doing on Friday night against the Bulldogs, he’s a terrific player and he’s great to have around the camp, so as long as he gets through the next few weeks you would think he’d be the number one custodian."
Yet Daley couldn't find room for South Sydney flyer Nathan Merritt, who will most likely find himself in the Origin wilderness once again, despite his blistering form over the past two-years.
"Look to be perfectly honest I would love to find a spot for Nath but ... the winger in front of him is Brett Morris," he said.
"But Nathan he shouldn’t give up hope because he’s certainly on the radar and one if I had to make a decision I could find a spot for him.

so it looks like a backline of

1. Stewart
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. J.Morris
5. B.Morris
6. Carney
7. Pearce

what does everyone think. Personally i can't believe that Gordon can't crack a spot

spiderdan

Bench
How's hayne meant to show consistency at fullback if he's never picked there. Daley's comments are overall baffling and if the blues happen to break qld's streak I doubt it will have anything to do with his coaching.

I look forward to media identities try tell us again that city/country will be a genuine selection trial.

strider

Post Whore
i don't have a major problem with hayne being picked on the wing .... but laurie really talks shit at times - i don't have much faith in him getting the job done

Craig Johnston

First Grade
the only things confirmed by laurie in that live show was

1. stewart
2. hayne
5. morris
7. pearce
9. farah
13. gallen

bench -trex

hineyrulz

Post Whore
God Daley is a deadset dribbler, listening him last night told me origin is a waste this year. NSW are no hope knocking QLD off with him at the helm.

gUt

Coach
I think it's gr8

I turned it off, is he seriously going to pick Tony Williams?!

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
. "I'll play Jarryd on the wing, his best football in Origin has been on the wing, he could play fullback but at this point in time he hasn't consistently proved himself at Origin level," Daley said.

What an idiot - Hayne has been very consistent at origin level , have no idea what Daley is going on about.

Also interesting Tim Mannah is currently the highest along with bird among forwards on the daily m leader board - http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/inglis-and-cronk-still-on-top/story-e6frexnr-1226614558001

But he aren't being talked about much in rep footy discussions. He should be picked for nsw this year

strider

Post Whore
i think he said he wouldn't pick t-rex right now but felt nsw needs a player like him and there are weeks to go so he might still be picked

he said that 12 of the team is pretty much decided - didn't name every player ... said he thinks we need a headstart on Qld and need to get players thinking about the plan early ..... fmd - over thinking shit - it's what nsw keep doing and resulting in failure .... we'll win eventually, but i'm not holding my breath for it to happen soon

Sphagnum

Coach
I just posted something on the main forum about this.

I have serious doubts that Daley is the right man for this job.

Absolute dribbler. Makes Kearney look like Bennett.

strider

Post Whore
maloney is a better defender than most other 5/8 options - eg carney ..... i'd pick carney if fit, but not for his defense