What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT - NSW side all but picked already

spiderdan

Bench
if carney is injured i won't be surprised to see bird picked at pivot. whatmoo will get the call up as well.

i would also be giving adam reynolds a chance. if daley is worried about him being too green for origin then give hima run from the bench. he could provide that spark when players are getting tired.

daley says pearce has been there for however many games but in those games he hasn't been able to prove himself worth being in origin. i would play mullen before pearce as well.

hybrideel

Bench
Pearce, Carney and B.Morris have yet to prove anything at Origin level.
Adam Reynolds is an organising half with a good kicking game, he would offer no impact or value coming off the bench. Josh Reynolds would be a better fir for that role

The crazier "selection" comment (paper comment so probably made up) over the weekend was that Gidley looks to have regained his "bench utility" role for Australia. The selectors are dead set kidding if they pick "glass man Gildley" for the Blues, let alone the Kangaroos.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I've said it for the last 3 years:

If NSW actually wants to win the Origin series, then we need to pick Hayne at fullback.
As good as B Stewart is, he is not Hayne, he cannot win a match on his own. Hayne not only can do it, he actually has done this 15-20 times in the last 3 years with an impotent Eels lineup. Imagine how lethal he would be with quality team mates?

Ratchy

Juniors
the only things confirmed by laurie in that live show was

1. stewart
2. hayne
5. morris
7. pearce
9. farah
13. gallen

bench -trex

Incorrect....he said if the side was picked tomorrow T-Rex wouldn't be in the team but has 6 games to turn it around.

Gronk

Staff member
I've said it for the last 3 years:

If NSW actually wants to win the Origin series, then we need to pick Hayne at fullback.
As good as B Stewart is, he is not Hayne, he cannot win a match on his own. Hayne not only can do it, he actually has done this 15-20 times in the last 3 years with an impotent Eels lineup. Imagine how lethal he would be with quality team mates?

He needs to blitz it week in week out like Slater and Snake to get that gig. He's failed to display that kind of form over the years, so he has to be content with the wing gig.

Gronk

Staff member
Desi reckons he's going OK. Says we don't see what T-Rex does off the ball.

#yeahright

Ratchy

Juniors
He needs to blitz it week in week out like Slater and Snake to get that gig. He's failed to display that kind of form over the years, so he has to be content with the wing gig.

And i'm sure Hayne would love to the quality of team around him that the other 2 do.

Noise

Coach
All his missed tackles end up being off the ball. Maybe that is what des is referring too?

oldmancraigy

Coach

Not sure that's an accurate representation of reality?

a) Every looks like a beaten mug in a team that wins 12 games over 2 seasons. Hayne happens to be the only reason we won 10 of those games, and a massive factor in many close losses for us.

b) Slater plays for Qld, so Hayne doesn't have to do anything like him to win the NSW fullback gig.

c) Snake cannot win a game off his own bat - he needs someone to set him up. Considering the options in the halves for NSW are awful (as they have been for the last 3 years), what we need is an intuitive coach who can construct a gameplan around NSW's most dangerous player (Hayne).

d) every time Hayne plays with 'quality' team mates (ie, for NSW) he's in the picture for the man of the match award. 2 + 2 does equal 4, and so anyone with even a smidgen of sense might determine that since we don't have halves who can create points, the best bet is to structure the team around Hayne.

Snake is a really good player, and if we had dynamic halves of course we fit both he and Hayne in the team (and since Hayne can play wing where Snake can't, then that's the logical option). Since we have plodders in the halves, we need the better player at fullback.
If you can't see this, then you probably can't fathom why we lose every year, and foolishly think we're a chance at winning this years Origin without Hayne at FB. It can't happen.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
It annoys me a bit that Daley has already said this bloke and that bloke will play Origin. Id rather him keep it a secret and then pick the team leading up to Origin.

Why the hell is Mitchell Pearce still considered NSW's best halfback option?

I mean I can understand blokes who are out of form at club level but have proven in the past, they can go well in Origin, like he said with Hayne, also Lewis, Gallen, Bird (although he's in good form for the Titans atm).

But Pearce has not proven to be a good half at Origin level. We've persisted with him so many times and it failed. Time to move on.

The difference between him and A Reynolds last week was when the Roosters were just on top of Canberra but the Raiders had the edge with momentum, Pearce needed to step up and control the game, put a kick down field, maybe a 40/20, but instead went missing and the Roosters lost.

Reynolds on the other hand when the Warriors had their momentum against Souths, was patient, played his natural, good kicking game and also put a nice grubber play when it was needed and saved the game for Souths.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Sad thing is that there's not a 'really good' halfback option for NSW - I'd definitely go for Reynolds since he comes without the baggage of Pierce, and basically does the important things better than him.

Sad thing is that NSW has a history of picking a genius team in game 1 based on bold statements from the coach, we lose, and then finish the series picking stronger looking teams. I just can't see why forfeiting game 1 is a good strategy...

Parraren

Bench
Daley was one of the NSW selectors during our worst ever period in Origin history.

Some of the players selected during that time in certain positions was diabolical.

Ennis at hooker, Lyon at 5/8 come to mind.

Now he's the coach. Go figure.