What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT - NSW side all but picked already

The Colonel

Immortal
If I was a selector I would pick Maloney ahead if either of Pearce or Adam Reynolds. I would have Josh Reynolds on the bench.

Adam Reynolds reminds me of Tim Smith except he has a bigger forward pack doing the work for him. The other side of the coin is he won't have Inglis playing behind him to get him out of trouble. He was ordinary against the Warriors and the Bunnies had to rely in two intercepts to stay ahead in the game.

Tony Bongo

Bench
Daley was one of the NSW selectors during our worst ever period in Origin history.

Some of the players selected during that time in certain positions was diabolical.

Ennis at hooker, Lyon at 5/8 come to mind.

Now he's the coach. Go figure.

Not selecting Hindmarsh was another IMO along with waiting until the last game in the series to select Noddy at halfback in 2009.
He is saying that he has a back up plan if Gallen is struck off by ASADA - it would have to be a white flag wouldn't it?
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...ayers-are-banned/story-e6frfkp9-1226615624135

gUt

Coach
To NSW fans, would a Kimmorley in his prime be your choice for halfback?

spiderdan

Bench
depends who else is in your mix. if it's just kimmorley at his best vying for the spot with the current crop then for me it's a yes.

if you're throwing every other retired player in there at their best then then it's a no brainer to pick johns and fittler.

Bigfella

Coach
Williams doesn't look comfortable or even properly match fit yet.

You can see what he has got though in touches. He and Canterbury will come good I reckon. I think they have looked good without results I reckon.

Springs

First Grade
I've said it for the last 3 years:

If NSW actually wants to win the Origin series, then we need to pick Hayne at fullback.
As good as B Stewart is, he is not Hayne, he cannot win a match on his own. Hayne not only can do it, he actually has done this 15-20 times in the last 3 years with an impotent Eels lineup. Imagine how lethal he would be with quality team mates?

Well of course you would say that as you're a huge Hayne fan.

The dumbest thing Daley said is that Pearce should be picked because he has played the last 8 games. And he has won 2. And has barely done anything in any of them. It's clear even at the Roosters at the moment Maloney is the better half.

Daley's selection policies were awful. I remember 2010 was going to be the 'pick and stick' year, 2009 was the 'look to the future' year. God, it was terrible.
Plus Hindy should have been NSW captain after Buderus left.

Every looks like a beaten mug in a team that wins 12 games over 2 seasons. Hayne happens to be the only reason we won 10 of those games, and a massive factor in many close losses for us.

lol no.
Just because he played doesn't make him the sole reason we won.

Tony Bongo

Bench

When it was between him and that clown Wallace from the Donkeys who did SFA and lost us the first two games - yes.

Last edited:

gUt

Coach
depends who else is in your mix. if it's just kimmorley at his best vying for the spot with the current crop then for me it's a yes.

if you're throwing every other retired player in there at their best then then it's a no brainer to pick johns and fittler.

Yeah sorry I meant compared to the current crop.

Daneel

Bench
I've said it for the last 3 years:

If NSW actually wants to win the Origin series, then we need to pick Hayne at fullback.
As good as B Stewart is, he is not Hayne, he cannot win a match on his own. Hayne not only can do it, he actually has done this 15-20 times in the last 3 years with an impotent Eels lineup. Imagine how lethal he would be with quality team mates?

And qld fans have been letting out huge sighs of relief everytime he isn't picked at fullback. He scare us enough on the wing without giving him anymore ball. Someone quoted you and said he is to inconsistent and that until jarryd plays as consistently as stewart and slater he will just have to cop it on the chin playing on the wing, and that is a very fair statement. However im fairly sure, considering how close some of the last 7 series have been, that if Jarryd had of been playing fullback qld wouldnt still be on this long run of winning series.

oldmancraigy

Coach
And qld fans have been letting out huge sighs of relief everytime he isn't picked at fullback. He scare us enough on the wing without giving him anymore ball. Someone quoted you and said he is to inconsistent and that until jarryd plays as consistently as stewart and slater he will just have to cop it on the chin playing on the wing, and that is a very fair statement. However im fairly sure, considering how close some of the last 7 series have been, that if Jarryd had of been playing fullback qld wouldnt still be on this long run of winning series.

Funny thing is that Laurie Daley said that Hayne's club form is irrelevant when considering his Origin selection based on how well he has played in Origin in the past.
He then turns around and says "we can't pick Hayne at fullback for Origin, because he hasn't dominated a series from that position". Genius - as if he's even been given a shot at playing fullback for an Origin series.

You'd think the logic behind statement 1 would cancel statement 2, but clearly the moronic Blues selectors can't see it. If we continue to forfeit game 1, then why do we think we'll ever win a series??

oldmancraigy

Coach
Well of course you would say that as you're a huge Hayne fan.

Eagles supporters (who are educated league fans) also think Hayne should be NSW fullback if we want to win the series. They've also been saying it for years...

Surely you can see that Hayne is as talented as anyone in the world AND always delivers on that stage?? It's not a complicated process of determining the team from there is it...

It annoys me a bit that Daley has already said this bloke and that bloke will play Origin. Id rather him keep it a secret and then pick the team leading up to Origin.

i can understand saying they are in the mix to let them know they are under consideration but now pearce has been virtually guaranteed an origin spot where's the incentive for him to play well for the roosters?

and if he has a shocker and the roosters lose their next 5 games in a row will he still be picked?

T.S Quint

Coach
i can understand saying they are in the mix to let them know they are under consideration but now pearce has been virtually guaranteed an origin spot where's the incentive for him to play well for the roosters?

and if he has a shocker and the roosters lose their next 5 games in a row will he still be picked?

You serious?
Maybe he would want to play well for the Roosters so that his team may actually win.

You serious?
Maybe he would want to play well for the Roosters so that his team may actually win.

you know what i mean though if a player is told they are under consideration for origin they will bust their arse in the weeks leading up to selection trying to work their way into the team my worry is if pearce is told he's picked already will it have the opposite effect?

oldmancraigy

Coach
you know what i mean though if a player is told they are under consideration for origin they will bust their arse in the weeks leading up to selection trying to work their way into the team my worry is if pearce is told he's picked already will it have the opposite effect?

I missed the part where we care if Pearce plays like crap and the Roosters lose for the next 5 weeks???

Latest posts