What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT - Overrated Bands

Frank Facer

First Grade
Where do I start?

In no particular order:

1. INXS
2. Jimmy Barnes
3. Powderfinger
4. any self proclaimed ‘judge’ on egregious music themed shows such as The Voice - examples include Delta Goodrem and Guy Sebastian,
5. Guns N’ Roses who blatantly ripped of Australian Crawl,
6, Red Hot Chili Peppers,
I agree with you about Jimmy Barnes. I am a bit of a Cold Chisel fan, but I am not a Jimmy Barnes fan.

JDHD

Juniors
Assuming we'd agree that Metallica, while they are good are also overrated as f**k.

Metallica haven’t released a good album in 3 decades, and by good I mean ‘more than three listenable songs’.

Smack

Coach
ACDC, guns n roses, Bon Jovi, u2, inxs, coldplay, ed sheeran, offspring, nickleback, linkin park, oasis

since77

Juniors
U2 just came on the radio. I cringed and changed the station before I realised what I was doing.

Bono was interviewed talking about what a great guitarist The Edge is, and how he revolutionised guitar.

What a load of bollocks. As far as I'm concerned U2 is just another overhyped pop band. But for some reason people fawn over them. I just don't get it, and I don't imagine I ever will.

Any other suggestions for overrated bands?

I can understand why people don't like U2. For every great thing they do, there's 2 or 3 more clunkers or errors in artistic or public relations judgement. However, it's just plain wrong to suggest that the Edge hasn't revolutionized the way guitar is played. His use of echo and delay created a whole new pallette for the modern guitarist. Those huge guitar sounds on early U2 records were played on 1 or 2 strings on many songs. There's practically no modern guitarist who isn't now using effects and techniques that the Edge pioneered in the 80's and early 90's. You may not like his style or music, but you can hear his influence on pretty much every mainstream guitarist today.

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
INXS

Also agree with the comment that U2 (who I do like) have at times put out total crap.

The best Bruce, Bob and Eric

to_ddeath

Coach
Bono is also part of a private firm which owns a percentage of Facebook. More a businessman than actual talent. Even he admitted he sounded like a girl alongside BB King.

st penguin

Juniors
INXS

Also agree with the comment that U2 (who I do like) have at times put out total crap.

The best Bruce, Bob and Eric

Not a big fan of INXS - but the concert at Wembley looked amazing. Saw a documentary about it and it’s funny to see them shitting themselves backstage before they get on.

Old Timer

Coach
Only Dennis Wilson could surf.
I’ve been a B.B. tragic for 40 odd years.
I prefer more of their less commercial music. I’ve closely followed their life story from day 1 till now, predominantly Brian Wilson and his life events.
Their non official biography leaves Days of Our Lives etc for dead. The record companies, the deals, the spendings would blow people’s minds. It’s a marvellous read.
Have you seen the doco on The Everly Brothers, that is indeed one sad story how they got completely f**ked over by the so called American Legal System?
Their harmonies and those of the Beach Boys were part of every day life for so long.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Have you seen the doco on The Everly Brothers, that is indeed one sad story how they got completely f**ked over by the so called American Legal System?
Their harmonies and those of the Beach Boys were part of every day life for so long.

No O/T,

I know little of the Everly Brothers with the exception that they had a major falling out after a concert together.
The Beach Boys and the members, on the other hand ............ I can quote you on a year by year basis.