What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Parra Stadium sharing

They should design a stadium such that, during the week, all you see is a flat green park, and then on game day the grandstands emerge from the ground like those pop-up bollards that they use to block off streets at certain times of day. Couldn't add more than, say, $8.50 to the build cost (Suity will back me up here), and would increase the public amenity provided by the stadium. Can't believe nobody has thought of it. Bloody backward country.

Suitman

Post Whore
Much better. I think the designs Suity's Wanderers fan is putting up
are very bland to me - completely lacking in any character - although I am certain that is what we will end up with.

That photo Bart showed was a fudged current Parra Stadium that was done on the Wanderers site also. If anything is bland, it was that.

Updates have come through today from the designer from the other site.

They look good to me, yet the state Govt will no doubt give us something really bland.

12374963_10153929093837518_8494899375133775340_o.jpg

12357009_10153929093852518_6859971952239119203_o.jpg

12362847_10153929093847518_7548684980391983110_o.jpg

12356938_10153929093842518_2643083681186549889_o.jpg

Last edited:

forward pass

Coach
The tendency with stadiums now is to have corporate areas closer to the field - not at the back of stands as we currently have. The gaps between the terrace and stands in the designs above would be perfect corporate/dining areas. There is so much money to be made in the corporate sector if they get this right.

Suitman

Post Whore
The tendency with stadiums now is to have corporate areas closer to the field - not at the back of stands as we currently have. The gaps between the terrace and stands in the designs above would be perfect corporate/dining areas. There is so much money to be made in the corporate sector if they get this right.

Yeh, absolutely.
I think the design on the previous page with the red seats had the corporates there.

Edit. Sorry, the one on Page 88.

Suity

Last edited:

phantom eel

First Grade
That photo Bart showed was a fudged current Parra Stadium that was done on the Wanderers site also. If anything is bland, it was that.
It was a screenshot from an old rugby league computer game, taken from the SMH and posted here for a joke joyce ;-). And the second one (if you didn't recognise it) was the original early 80s design for Parra Stadium, posted for irony... :cool:

Updates have come through today from the designer from the other site.

They look good to me, yet the state Govt will no doubt give us something really bland.

12374963_10153929093837518_8494899375133775340_o.jpg
He's f**ked it up with that cake tin roof and sides, imo. They'll never build something looking like that, on the footprint that they are working in.

It was looking promising when in its blander stages, though you can't really go wrong just designing rows of rising seats around a rectangular ground....

Suitman

Post Whore
Here's a snippet.

Appears the Wanderers are going harder for a better upgrade.
Come on Eels!!!!! Get ya shit together...

I like the bit about the Wanderers showing concept drawings showing fairly sheer stands.
Could Australia finally get a decent proper mid-sized football stadium?

Lederer also revealed he had been assured by the government that the rebuilding of Pirtek Stadium will be underway at the end of the year, with a two-to-three year timeframe planned.

The Wanderers have submitted concept drawings showing a 35,000-seat rectangular stadium with fairly sheer stands, as their preferred option.

“Hopefully John and I will have a big say in this, as part of the committee the government will appoint to choose the design,” Lederer said.

“End of the year it will commence, I’m told, and the minister has told us we will be an important voice in the design of it.”

Where are you Sharpey?

http://m.foxsports.com.au/football/...world-class-club/story-e6frf4gl-1227707636460

Suity

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
The rest of the article, and the main gist of it, was about the Wanderers starting work on their $30 million training centre at Blacktown. It will be built over stages, and is being funded by Paul Lederer and the club itself.

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
WANDERERS chairman Paul Lederer has unveiled plans for the A-League club to be based at a new $30m state-of-the-art complex from next season.

As Western Sydney prepares to host a derby for the last time before Pirtek Stadium is razed and rebuilt, Lederer detailed for the first time the plans to build “a world-class football club” based at a new complex in Rooty Hill.

The complex will be built in seven stages on land leased at Blacktown International Sportspark, with the club headquarters and player facilities due to be built within the next six months, along with the first of 9.5 pitches and spectator facilities.

The precinct, covering some eight hectares, will be home to all of the club’s teams, from Tony Popovic’s first-team squad to the W-League, youth teams and down the academy teams, with each of the pitches costing around $1m. Lederer called it “the largest investment by any Australian sporting club”, based on a tour of 13 European clubs he and CEO John Tsatsimas undertook last year.

The project will be funded by the owners, and though it may eventually include revenue-generating office blocks and a club, for now it is just “an investment” in the future of the game, Lederer said.

“It’s massive – I’m sure it’s the largest investment by any Australian sporting club in facilities of this kind,” he said.

“The total project will be well in excess of $30m.

“It’s a gamechanger for Western Sydney – it’s more exciting than anything I’ve been involved in.

“It’s investment (in the club), there’s no return. It’s not a business. Ultimately there will be commercial opportunities – offices, a clubhouse, a high-performance centre. But we’re looking at a long-term future of the game. We don’t want glory, just to make a difference.”

Planning permission has been granted and the levelling of some land for pitches has already been undertaken, after a three-year process of planning and negotiations with councils, the state government and various government bodies.

Offering a tacit comparison with Sydney FC, Tsatsimas emphasised that work is underway, with strict deadlines.
It’s a seven-stage project but the primary focus is to get those pitches as quickly as is practical ready for us to use – and that’s also been hastened by the fact our academy is operational, as well as giving the first, women’s and youth team access to top-line pitches,” said Tsatsimas.

“We anticipate that within 12 months we’re in full flow, relocated and fully functional within the new precinct

“We’re working on the final throes of the administration stuff, but even if we’re not entirely finished inside 12 months, the back end of those last pitches should certainly be done within 18 months.

“The owners are so committed it’s not funny. It’s ok to say, we’re going to do this and we’re going to do that, and 10 years later you’re in the same spot. These are not plans for what we’d like to do, this is happening.”

Lederer also revealed he had been assured by the government that the rebuilding of Pirtek Stadium will be underway at the end of the year, with a two-to-three year timeframe planned.

The Wanderers have submitted concept drawings showing a 35,000-seat rectangular stadium with fairly sheer stands, as their preferred option.

“Hopefully John and I will have a big say in this, as part of the committee the government will appoint to choose the design,” Lederer said.

“End of the year it will commence, I’m told, and the minister has told us we will be an important voice in the design of it.”

Link is above.

Suitman

Post Whore
Eat Street to become Wanderland for A-League Sydney Derby

Parramatta’s famous Eat Street will be transformed into ‘Wanderland’ to welcome fans prior to the much-anticipated Sydney Derby between local favourites the Western Sydney Wanderers and Sydney FC on Saturday 16 January.

The family-friendly pre-game street activation will include live music, games, foosball machines and freestyle soccer demonstrations in Church St from 5pm -7.30pm.

“We are delighted to be hosting one of the biggest games of the A-League season in Parramatta and we’re ready to welcome fans with a fun street activation while they enjoy a meal in Eat Street before the match,” Lord Mayor of Parramatta Cr Paul Garrard said.

“We’re proud of the Wanderers’ success and we hope to cheer them on to another victory this weekend. The team and the fans really bring the city to life with their enthusiasm for the game and I encourage the community to come along to Eat Street and soak up the vibrant atmosphere in the lead up to the game.”

In the past three A-League seasons the Wanderers have attracted approximately 610,000 people to the City, providing an economic boost to local restaurants, shops and hotels.

“The Sydney Derby is a wonderful occasion for Western Sydney and we’re delighted that our fans and Members will be able to build on the experience as Parramatta City Council takes Wanderland to Eat Street,” Wanderers CEO John Tsatsimas said.

“Seeing Church Street full of red and black on match day is always a proud moment and this will help build the connection between Wanderers and Parramatta on match day.”

People attending the street activation are encouraged to take public transport as it also coincides with Sydney Festival events taking part at Riverside Theatres and Prince Alfred Square.

Church Street will be closed to traffic between Market St and Phillip Streets from 4pm – 8pm.

http://www.artshub.c...ey-derby-193471

phantom eel

First Grade
Is this the final "derby"? Hope the brain dead RBB don't try and burn down Parra Stadium to celebrate (or more likely, commiserate).

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
The article probably talks about the Wanderers more because they wanted to release it to the press. If we wanted to release an EPK to the press with quotes we would do so, we'd be just as involved as the Wanderers are but we have more important things to talk about with our season coming up. If it was during the season I'm sure you would have heard something more from us.

TheRam

Coach
The article probably talks about the Wanderers more because they wanted to release it to the press. If we wanted to release an EPK to the press with quotes we would do so, we'd be just as involved as the Wanderers are but we have more important things to talk about with our season coming up. If it was during the season I'm sure you would have heard something more from us.

Yeah sure mate. Who are you kidding? Not long time Parra supporters that's for sure.