What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT- Roberts to Bunnies

TruSaint

Referee
via sporting news.com

Brisbane have granted outcasted centre James Roberts an immediate release from the final three years of his contract on compassionate grounds, paving the way for a move to South Sydney.

Roberts reportedly was willing to see out the deal on Monday, however he approached the club with a release request on Wednesday to return home with his young family.

"While we are disappointed to lose James, we understand his position - it wasn't in the best interests of the club to stand in the way of a player who has expressed a honest and strong desire to return home," Broncos chief executive Paul White said.

"We've always supported James since he arrived at our club, and we have continued to work really hard over recent months to keep him at the Broncos.

"He has gone through tough times and great times with us. He has had two children and represented his state while being a Bronco.

"But he strongly feels that he needs to act in the best interests of his family, and that means returning to his family support network in New South Wales.

"All parties have worked together to facilitate a result that is best for all involved.

"This is the right decision for James, his family and our club, and we thank James for all he has given to the Broncos and wish him all the best in the future."

The former NSW speedster has been closely linked with the Rabbitohs since a drunken photo of him went viral which was the first crack in his relationship with coach Anthony Seibold.

That incident, combined with poor form and an ongoing Achilles issue, saw Seibold wield the axe on Roberts, who made his reserve grade debut for Wynnum Manly Seagulls last weekend.

South Sydney, who sacked the 26-year-old in 2012 for breaches of his playing contract, have locked him in for the next two-and-a-half seasons on their premiership glory quest.

"Make no bones about it, James is an immense talent, a player capable of representing his state and country under the right guidance, and we feel that James can return to his best football under Wayne and the senior players we have here at this club,'' Rabbitohs general manager of football Shane Richardson said.

"He will add great strike to our backline and through our discussions with him, we know he wants to return to South Sydney for the right reasons, and he wants to help deliver this club its 22nd premiership.''

MORE TO COME...

4 ways to do a romantic winter getaway in TasmaniaDiscover Tasmania|

BLM01

First Grade
The Compassionate Grounds Card. Got to love sports media. Wayne's world and way at Souths.
Geez their cap position is looking tight if they re-sign (if not already) Cody Walker with their star studded proven backs and forwards.

jeffdragon

Bench
The Compassionate Grounds Card. Got to love sports media. Wayne's world and way at Souths.
Geez their cap position is looking tight if they re-sign (if not already) Cody Walker with their star studded proven backs and forwards.

One rule for one and bugger the rest.
We struggled to get blood out of a stone from the NRL.

TruSaint

Referee
Wayne Bennett reveals why he lied about James Roberts rumours and his plans to 'fix' him

WRITTEN BYSPORTING NEWS
LEAGUE
LEAGUE
BRISBANE BRONCOS

Earlier this month, Wayne Bennett categorically denied any links to James Roberts as his Broncos tenure appeared to be hanging by a thread.

"We haven't approached him and James won't be coming to South Sydney, this year and next year," Bennett said.

"...It starts with you guys (the media) sitting in coffee rooms and thinking 'what am I going to make up today'."

On Wednesday, South Sydney officially announced the signing of Roberts on a two-and-a-half year deal, reuniting with his former coach at Redfern.

Bennett has been called out for blatantly lying and accusing the media of fabricating stories, but he defended his actions, claiming it was necessary for the negotiations to go forward.

"What we had to do was get everyone off the scent so we could conduct ourselves and the negotiations in a manner in which there wasn't a lot of fanfare," Bennett told The Courier Mail.

"The speculation at the time was out of control, it was only getting worse. As an organisation and a business, we are allowed to conduct ourselves without being a back page every day of the week. We put our club first and that's what we did.

"We had a plan on how to get him, we executed it and here we are ... James Roberts is back at South Sydney."

The rumour mill was in full swing as discussions went on in the background, but none could confirm or deny whether Roberts would be in cardinal and myrtle before the June 30 deadline.

The troubled speedster has spent the past three weeks in reserve grade while his team enjoyed a three-game winning streak, making it an even tougher climb to the top flight.

He finally pulled the pin on Monday, requesting an immediate release on compassionate grounds to return home to his family in hope of getting his career back on track.

But there may be no greater influence on his football and life than Bennett who believes their tight-knit relationship will turn his season around.

"I will fix James," Bennett said.

"I don't hope, I know he will get back to his best. There's no doubt in my mind.

"The one thing James needs is trust. He trusts me. And I trust him.

"The way to get the best football out of James is by trusting him. Simple as that. You trust him. He will perform.''

Roberts will be cleared to play in their round 13 clash against Newcastle.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-29_17-35-38.gif
    upload_2019-5-29_17-35-38.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 1

Gareth67

First Grade
Wayne Bennett reveals why he lied about James Roberts rumours and his plans to 'fix' him

WRITTEN BYSPORTING NEWS
LEAGUE
LEAGUE
BRISBANE BRONCOS

Earlier this month, Wayne Bennett categorically denied any links to James Roberts as his Broncos tenure appeared to be hanging by a thread.

"We haven't approached him and James won't be coming to South Sydney, this year and next year," Bennett said.

"...It starts with you guys (the media) sitting in coffee rooms and thinking 'what am I going to make up today'."

On Wednesday, South Sydney officially announced the signing of Roberts on a two-and-a-half year deal, reuniting with his former coach at Redfern.

Bennett has been called out for blatantly lying and accusing the media of fabricating stories, but he defended his actions, claiming it was necessary for the negotiations to go forward.

"What we had to do was get everyone off the scent so we could conduct ourselves and the negotiations in a manner in which there wasn't a lot of fanfare," Bennett told The Courier Mail.

"The speculation at the time was out of control, it was only getting worse. As an organisation and a business, we are allowed to conduct ourselves without being a back page every day of the week. We put our club first and that's what we did.

"We had a plan on how to get him, we executed it and here we are ... James Roberts is back at South Sydney."

The rumour mill was in full swing as discussions went on in the background, but none could confirm or deny whether Roberts would be in cardinal and myrtle before the June 30 deadline.

The troubled speedster has spent the past three weeks in reserve grade while his team enjoyed a three-game winning streak, making it an even tougher climb to the top flight.

He finally pulled the pin on Monday, requesting an immediate release on compassionate grounds to return home to his family in hope of getting his career back on track.

But there may be no greater influence on his football and life than Bennett who believes their tight-knit relationship will turn his season around.

"I will fix James," Bennett said.

"I don't hope, I know he will get back to his best. There's no doubt in my mind.

"The one thing James needs is trust. He trusts me. And I trust him.

"The way to get the best football out of James is by trusting him. Simple as that. You trust him. He will perform.''

Roberts will be cleared to play in their round 13 clash against Newcastle.

Yeah Wayne , we have heard it all before , in fact there was a rumor doing the rounds that he was coming to the Dragons with you until Douste’s put his foot down and said “ hell he is - he won’t be getting his hands on the keys to my liquor cabinet , they are my Crown Lagers ! “

Last edited:

redVinme

Bench
I hate everything about this. Wahhh my new boss is being strict on me so I'm going to throw my toys out of the cot until you let me suck on Benny's teet again. Players have too much power. Rot in reserve grade if you don't like it. All these players "mental health" concerns magically vanish once they get what they want

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I hate everything about this. Wahhh my new boss is being strict on me so I'm going to throw my toys out of the cot until you let me suck on Benny's teet again. Players have too much power. Rot in reserve grade if you don't like it. All these players "mental health" concerns magically vanish once they get what they want

The new chesnut, 'mental health' issues is working overtime lately.
It has really become the flavour of the month, year, etc.
If anyone says boo, they are expected to be shot down in flames.
There going soft l tell you!

redVinme

Bench
The new chesnut, 'mental health' issues is working overtime lately.
It has really become the flavour of the month, year, etc.
If anyone says boo, they are expected to be shot down in flames.
There going soft l tell you!

It's exactly that. My misses is a therapist and it drives her crazy. It's so taboo to question it now. Though it makes a mockery of those really suffering. Maybe stop taking depressants daily and you might feel better

Roberts has well documented mental health issues that stem from his being abandoned as a child.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw2NbDvbL5AVsfUz2DwfCZTi&ust=1559215710260965

He's not playing a card here, so shut your trap. No reason he should be happy to play reserve grade with his quality

Latest posts