What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Other games

It seems that we got the end of the best from Gus, since he left he gives the the feeling of being spiteful towards the club. But at Warriors I feel he did them wrong , at the Bulldogs letting all the players go chasing other players is like a 10 year old boy finding a new toy. I mean the 2 centres they have are not crap and letting JMK go for Mahoney is a very sideways movement. It really is about the system at the club. Their NSW cup side doing well should be the model and no need to spend crazy money on other players.

I expected better from them this year, but now I ask can the Bulldogs survive another season like this? And what will that mean for Ciraldo?

Goonji

Juniors
Looking at the performance of the so-called premiership favourites at the start of the year, the Roosters, when does the media's love affair with Trent Robinson end? You can cite injuries etc but they have been woeful the past 2 years. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see them lose, but Robinson is covered in teflon it seems. Nothing sticks, no questions asked.

Looking at the performance of the so-called premiership favourites at the start of the year, the Roosters, when does the media's love affair with Trent Robinson end? You can cite injuries etc but they have been woeful the past 2 years. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see them lose, but Robinson is covered in teflon it seems. Nothing sticks, no questions asked.
The way I see it is that we get smashed by everyone, so the boys go harder and get the job done. Roosters like you said are loved by media therefore they think they are better than they are. So many clubs have real issues from the top. Take a look at Manly they would be better off without the Trbojevic's

Iamback

Coach

NRL media is a mates club, If the media likes you then you get no pressure no matter how bad you play

Iamback

Coach
It seems that we got the end of the best from Gus, since he left he gives the the feeling of being spiteful towards the club. But at Warriors I feel he did them wrong , at the Bulldogs letting all the players go chasing other players is like a 10 year old boy finding a new toy. I mean the 2 centres they have are not crap and letting JMK go for Mahoney is a very sideways movement. It really is about the system at the club. Their NSW cup side doing well should be the model and no need to spend crazy money on other players.

I expected better from them this year, but now I ask can the Bulldogs survive another season like this? And what will that mean for Ciraldo?

I think we had this discussion in the off season and it is playing out as we predicted.

Kilkenny

Coach

Fan forums are great when your winning, but things aren’t going so great they can be rather despicable places.

Had nothing to do this morning down here in rainy Melbourne so spent an hour or so just scrolling thru the Kennel.

I certainly wasn’t surprised by any means, but to read some of the drivel, hate, rubbish directed in part to Gould and CC was just astonishing.

Gould’s been at the club almost two years, CC just over half a season yet the opinions of some supposed supporters was just breathtaking.

Iamback

Coach
Fan forums are great when your winning, but things aren’t going so great they can be rather despicable places.

Had nothing to do this morning down here in rainy Melbourne so spent an hour or so just scrolling thru the Kennel.

I certainly wasn’t surprised by any means, but to read some of the drivel, hate, rubbish directed in part to Gould and CC was just astonishing.

Gould’s been at the club almost two years, CC just over half a season yet the opinions of some supposed supporters was just breathtaking.

There is no plan. That is frustrating for fans.

They signed Sexton today. 6 months ago they paid Broncos $500k to get a half out of his contract.

It is a easier to accept if you can see light coming out

Kilkenny

Coach

They signed Sexton today. 6 months ago they paid Broncos $500k to get a half out of his contract.

I tend to agree with you 90%.

It certainly appears it is ad hoc.

Regardless of what you think about Gould, and we do know what you think of him, he’s not a total moron.

The rebuild at the Dogs is arguably an even tougher rebuild than the mess he inherited at the Panthers.

Kilkenny

Coach

That’s you. You suggest Gould and CC don’t have a plan?

Really, you think they sit around in there COE and make it up day to day as they go along.

Mate, seriously sometimes your arrogance and know it all attitude is just astounding.

I’m sure there is a plan, it may be a five year plan, maybe even longer who knows but suggesting there in none, no plan, is just silly. Gould is many things, not everyone’s favourite, but again he is not a total idiot.

Supposed fans on the Kennel calling for CC to be sacked or questioning his ability after half a season in charge what does that really say.

They have a plan, maybe you will be proven right in three or fours seasons time, the plan May not have been a good one but maybe keep the powder keg dry and pass judgement in due course.

Iamback

Coach
That’s you. You suggest Gould and CC don’t have a plan?

Really, you think they sit around in there COE and make it up day to day as they go along.

Mate, seriously sometimes your arrogance and know it all attitude is just astounding.

I’m sure there is a plan, it may be a five year plan, maybe even longer who knows but suggesting there in none, no plan, is just silly. Gould is many things, not everyone’s favourite, but again he is not a total idiot.

Supposed fans on the Kennel calling for CC to be sacked or questioning his ability after half a season in charge what does that really say.

They have a plan, maybe you will be proven right in three or fours seasons time, the plan May not have been a good one but maybe keep the powder keg dry and pass judgement in due course.

f**k you are a grumpy old man.

Gus didn't sign Flanno or some of their other duds, Their biggest issue is the board being able to be voted out after 2 years.

So they are looking for the easy out.

Ciraldo has made plenty of mistakes but is a rookie coach so to be expected

Iamback

Coach
I tend to agree with you 90%.

It certainly appears it is ad hoc.

Regardless of what you think about Gould, and we do know what you think of him, he’s not a total moron.

The rebuild at the Dogs is arguably an even tougher rebuild than the mess he inherited at the Panthers.

We were broke and juniors were horrible.

The year Crichton, Burton etc won SG Ball. We played the Dogs in the GF.

Our board allowed a long term vision, Something you don't see at the 3 basketcase clubs

Pomoz

Bench
Sadly, in a world of social media and instant access to information, people want results immediately. But an NRL team is a collection of people working together to win a Premiership. It's not like a business where you can change products, invest in new machinery, or change the financing and see things improve immediately. It's just people.

Sure, you can change processes, build training academies and maybe implement some new sports technology, but that doesnt make a team tackle better or never give up when things are tough. You can have better game plans. But the only thing you can change that makes a real difference are the people and their values and attitudes.

That takes time. Some wont trust the new coach, some will hide their resistance in a passive aggresive manner and some will just openly decide they dont like the new direction. You can't change people's attitudes and values significantly in a year. In a complex organisation like an NRL team, you need a year just to fully understand the problem you are dealing with. In year two the changes you make can start to take hold and you can hope to see improvement. The coach will have to get rid of those not on the bus. Ivan had RCG as a good example of this. Luke Lewis was another.

The way I see it, the Panthers board led by Don Feltis had no hubris about the need to change. There was no "We are the Panthers we should be the best". There was no historical greatness to call to arms and give a sense of entitlement. Two Premierships in 40 years just pointed to mediocrity and the board embraced that and said "let's change that".

The Dogs and the Dragons are two great examples where they are held back by their history. "We should be back where we belong as Premiership winners". They talk about the 11 premierships (it was a NSW competition with no Melbourne, QLD or NZ teams and the salary cap didn't exist. Get over yourselves), they talk about "the Entertainers". But no team is owed anything. Historical greatness means nothing if you don't evolve to deal with the changes around you. You either evolve or new teams like the Dolphins are going to come and beat you.

If the Dogs two year cycle holds true and they change boards again, next year may see them blow it all up and start again. And on it goes....

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade
Any organisation worth its salt should have both long and short term goals. Long term goals are important, but behind any long term progression is a plethora of small but meaningful short term improvements. Longer term goals might be about top 4 finishes, deep finals runs and even premierships. Short term progression towards these long term goals might be on-field resilience, attitude and effort, fighting for the blokes next to you, organisation in defense. These aren't attributes you need a high-quality squad for. The Dogs are completely shot in all those areas at the moment, and again, it's something other coaches have gotten out of them during this down period they're having. Blaming the fans after a 66 point loss sort of typifies the rot. Fans of any club, with any history have a right to be fuming after a performance like that, telling them to hop off the bus if they're not up for watching embarrassing performances is hilariously tone deaf.

While it's true that pulling the trigger too early can be destructive, what people often won't admit is the perfect time to get rid of a dud coach was yesterday. The Dragons with Mary were the perfect example of this, as were we in the early 00s with Elliott. Ciraldo obviously deserves more than a single season, but you need to see at least something out of the guy to show that he's up to it.

Or not. Four more years of the Dogs getting pumped like that doesn't sound too bad from where I'm sitting either tbf.

Pomoz

Bench
Mahoney is in his first year at the Dogs. He has come from a good team. His statements are foolish but he can't hide behind the Dog's poor recent history to explain it away. At the moment, the Dogs lack character.

I don't know where to start with changing it. Go through the roster and assess everybody on skills and wills. Do they have the skill and the right attitude? I would put emphasis on attitude above all else. Its all about character, the willingness to fight and scrap for every blade of grass.

For example, people talk about Burton being a better player and more skilful than Luai. Maybe he is more skilful, but Luai is a warrior. He won't give up and he won't back down from tough players like JWH. He would gave belted Gagai back and then some in that SOO tussle last year. Burton wasn't seen after his tussle.

I agree with Iambacks thoughts on this.The Dogs need more Kenny's and Luai's and fewer fancy Dan's like Burton, JAC and even Kikau. They are all great players, but only if they are surrounded by players rolling their sleeves up and getting stuck in. Those are the players that tell the likes of JWH and NAS "you shall not pass".

Ironically, Ciraldo needs a few more journeyman willing to do a shift down the mines. He virtually wrote the job description when he played for us.

With the coaching changes that Gus made here (and I am talking about Ivan the first time and then Hook) they occurred before the ‘drums started beating’. So he identified he wanted change and was able to execute without the outside noise; and importantly both decisions took us forward.

not sure the point I am trying to make other that Gus doesn’t seem to have an issue with firing coaches, but has done so most successfully when he has been able to choose the timing.

Mahoney is in his first year at the Dogs. He has come from a good team. His statements are foolish but he can't hide behind the Dog's poor recent history to explain it away. At the moment, the Dogs lack character.

I don't know where to start with changing it. Go through the roster and assess everybody on skills and wills. Do they have the skill and the right attitude? I would put emphasis on attitude above all else. Its all about character, the willingness to fight and scrap for every blade of grass.

For example, people talk about Burton being a better player and more skilful than Luai. Maybe he is more skilful, but Luai is a warrior. He won't give up and he won't back down from tough players like JWH. He would gave belted Gagai back and then some in that SOO tussle last year. Burton wasn't seen after his tussle.

I agree with Iambacks thoughts on this.The Dogs need more Kenny's and Luai's and fewer fancy Dan's like Burton, JAC and even Kikau. They are all great players, but only if they are surrounded by players rolling their sleeves up and getting stuck in. Those are the players that tell the likes of JWH and NAS "you shall not pass".

Ironically, Ciraldo needs a few more journeyman willing to do a shift down the mines. He virtually wrote the job description when he played for us.
It fun, whenever Penrith has had to choose between ‘plodders’ versus fancy Dans over the last four years, they have almost exclusively chosen the former.

The closest situation I can think on was signing Staines on big money thinking he would be fullback, but they pivoted from the decision quite quickly and when Crichton came to be re-signed they demonstrated that had moved away from that thinking altogether.

Iamback

Coach
It fun, whenever Penrith has had to choose between ‘plodders’ versus fancy Dans over the last four years, they have almost exclusively chosen the former.

The closest situation I can think on was signing Staines on big money thinking he would be fullback, but they pivoted from the decision quite quickly and when Crichton came to be re-signed they demonstrated that had moved away from that thinking altogether.

Every team needs a plodder or 2. They have Kikau and co to get them points

Jake Turbo style is what their pack needs. Get a few of them and stick with a 7 and the side has a chance to improve.

Latest posts