What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our 5/8 Problem

roopy

Referee
Mullen running off Walsh is a beautifull thing.
Walsh has the vision and a brilliant short passing game, and Mullen just has to run at the hint of a gap and Walshy puts him through it.

Having said that, Walsh will be killed in firstgrade.

CJKnight

Juniors
The reason Mullen succeeds at Halfback is because of his brilliant kicking game. Otherwise he fits the 5/8 role down to a tee. He is very much like Fittler in the way he runs and steps off that left foot. I think to put the whole playmaking responsibility on him would hinder his natural game. Obviously this has to be the case though because Abes is no kicker and Walsh would "get murdered" in FG.

knights9

Juniors
Big Tim said:
Mullo is the long term answer.... Abes or Brown are what we have at the moment.

Brown's short kicking game is A1, but Abes defense and ball running is superior. Depends what we are looking for really.

Mullo is a genuine 5/8, I feel that Walsh would have got the nod in Round 2 had he not have been injured in Round 1. Some times careers are made on timing, I hope, for the clubs sake, that Walsh still gets a good opportunity.

IMO Brown has a superior ball running game to Abes.

Yosh

Coach
Yeah Brown runs quiet the well, he is faster then Abes as well. Has an awesome step. Hmm... for me my first choice opinon would be Brown. Havent really seen Walsh play so yeah. Like someone said that Alfie was small and stuff and he made it, but players like Preston Cambell and stuff do struggle heaps. Size is a natural advantage in any sport. Could be really hard for him...

Holla

Juniors
K-Man said:
Because although he's a very good halfback, he could be an even better 5-8th. The player he is most similar to in terms of overall strengths is Fittler.

From halfback he isn't getting as much chance to use his big step and acceleration with a bit of room to move. Also if you think back to a lot of our tries and line breaks so far this season, a significant proportion come from the few times Mullen gets a bit wider and is making the "last play" if you will i.e. dummy half passes to someone who passes to Mullen to either hit one of his outside runners or put the kick in etc.

I think his talents are being wasted playing a traditional halfback role of either shifting it wide, playing it short to the forwards, or kicking. I would much rather see a genuine halfback feeding him good, quick ball so that he gets it in space with options like Simpson, Doogs, Kidley running off him.

Well said K-Man
I can't put the case for keeping Mullen at 6 better than you have already done. So I wont attempt it.
In regard to Walsh's size to play at 7 to Mullen at 6. He's been playing League for a long time at 7.
I'm sure, no I know, he has played against big boys in the lower grades & I have no reason to believe he can't do it in FG.
Give the guy a chance to prove himself. I'm sure Brian Smith will.

Latest posts