What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Anthem

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Still_Call_Australia_Home

Though public performances of "I Still Call Australia Home" have increased in number over the years, Australians remain divided over the song. Many see it as a beautiful and moving song about love for their country; others are embarrassed by what they regard as an excessive sentimentality not traditionally part of Australian culture, but usually associated with the United States, where Allen lived for most of his career.

I know it has been discussed plenty of times before but I'm not sure if it has ever made its way onto these forums.

Anyways, would you be in favour of changing our national anthem, and if so, what song would you prefer? I would prefer to use "I Still Call Australia Home" as it is more up to date than "Advance Australia Fair." I also wouldn't mind seeing the Champions League anthem music behind some lyrics that are more reflective of today's society. I even prefer the NZ national anthem to ours.

I see our current NA as a chore in a way. It would be better if it was a thing of "we get to listen to the NA" rather than "we have to listen to the NA."

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Raider Ultra said:
Yes, up the Seekers.. Who the feck are the Seekers?
The seekers are a pretty successful Aussie band and I'm amazed you have no idea who they are. They are best known I would think for their songs "Georgie Girl" and "I will never find another you." They are three blokes and Judith Durham. Oh, and they also sang "I am Australian."

Loz

Juniors
I believe they were also Australians of the year once upon a time in the 60's.

jed

First Grade
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seekers

The Seekers are a group of Australian folk-influenced popular musicians which was formed in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia in 1963. They were the first Australian popular music group to achieve significant chart and sales success in the United Kingdom and the United States.

The Seekers were formed by Athol Guy, double bass, and guitarists Keith Potger and Bruce Woodley, who met at high school in Melbourne. Later, they met Judith Durham who had begun her career as a jazz singer in the trad jazz idiom. Just prior to joining The Seekers, she was lead vocalist in the Melbourne group Frank Traynor's Jazz Preachers (she was replaced by Margret RoadKnight).

The Seekers soon gathered a strong following in Melbourne and were signed to the W&G Records by the label's A&R manager Ron Tudor, who later founded the influential Australian label Fable Records. After a brief career in Australia, the group were offered the chance to travel around the world on a cruise liner in exchange for providing on-board entertainment. They had intended to return to Australia, but they remained in the UK when the ship arrived there in early 1964. There they were discovered by songwriter-producer Tom Springfield, the brother of pop star Dusty Springfield. He produced all of their most successful records and wrote or co-wrote many of their hits.

The distinctive soprano voice of lead singer Judith Durham, their sweet harmonies, memorable songs, and non-threatening image (encouraging the BBC to give them exposure) made them appealing to a broad cross-section of the pop audience, and they enjoyed a remarkable string of Top Ten albums and singles in Britain, America and Australia between 1964 and 1968.

After signing with Lew Grade's Grade Agency and EMI's Columbia Records imprint, they released their version of Springfield’s I'll Never Find Another You in November 1964. It shot to #1 in Australia and the UK, and #4 in the USA and went on to sell 1.75 million copies worldwide, making them the first Australian pop group to have a Top 5 hit in all three countries simultaneously, and the first to sell over a million copies of a single. Their most successful single, The Carnival Is Over, topped the UK charts in November 1965.

In 1966 they recorded a cover of Paul Simon’s Some day, One day, which reached #4 in Australia and #11 in the UK. This was Simon's first UK success as a writer, and his first hit as a composer outside of his work with Simon & Garfunkel. Bruce Woodley also co-wrote the song Red Rubber Ball with Simon. Their chart success peaked with the movie theme song Georgy Girl, written by Jim Dale, which reached #1 on the US and Australian charts and #3 on the UK charts in 1967, and sold 3.5 million copies worldwide.

In recognition of their achievements, the group was named Australians of the Year for 1967 and in March that year they returned to Australia for a triumphant homecoming tour, which included a record-breaking concert at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl in Melbourne which was attended by over 200,000 people. This is believed to be the largest audience ever assembled for an Australian concert event. The scale of their popularity in Australia can be judged from fact that the legendary Woodstock Festival in the United States in 1969 drew about 500,000 people, and that at the time of the Seekers' Melbourne concert, Australia's population was only around 12 million people.

Subsequent singles, When Will The Good Apples Fall, and Emerald City, were less successful, and they disbanded in 1968. Potger was later involved in putting together The New Seekers.

World Expo '88

The founding members of the Seekers, Athol Guy, Keith Potger and Bruce Woodley, made an appearance at the closing ceremony of World Expo '88, in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, with Australian soprano Julie Anthony (as their lead singer in place of Judith Durham), to sing 'The Carnival is Over

The Seekers in the 1990s

The Seekers reformed, with the original lineup of Athol Guy, Keith Potger, Bruce Woodley and Judith Durham, during the 1990s and continue to tour as a nostalgia act in Australia and overseas. On 8 October, 2002 the Seekers were the topic of a special issue of Australian stamps which were released in their honour.

Paralympics

After much speculation (and a delightful send-up of the coming event by ABC TV’s Olympics satire The Games) The Seekers reunited again for the closing ceremony of the Sydney 2000 Paralympic Games on 29 October 2000, with a performance of "The Carnival Is Over". They were apparently approached to perform at the closing ceremony of the main games, but unfortunately an injury to Judith Durham (a broken hip) made this impossible, so the band performed at the Paralympics instead, with Judith singing from a wheelchair.

paulquinn49

Bench
The Aussie one sounded good on Sunday arvo, just stop getting people with carrots up their arse singing it at sporting events.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
paulquinn49 said:
The Aussie one sounded good on Sunday arvo, just stop getting people with carrots up their arse singing it at sporting events.
Sunday? What exactly was that? And I agree with you that the singer makes a difference.

hrundi99

First Grade
I've always thought that our anthem should be "Jump In My Car" by none other than the Ted Mulry Gang, but there you go.

I like our current anthem. It doesn't stir the blood like the Kiwi anthem or Oh! Canada based on the actual song, but it still stirs the blood based on the fact that it's OUR anthem.

"We Are Australians" is a throwaway pop song. It's not an anthem.

jed

First Grade
hrundi99 said:
I like our current anthem. It doesn't stir the blood like the Kiwi anthem or Oh! Canada based on the actual song, but it still stirs the blood based on the fact that it's OUR anthem.
The thing I love most about the Kiwi anthem is that it fits "Baa Baa Black Sheep" :lol:

woodgers

Bench
That is what you get for living in Palmerston Leethal.

My opinion has always been the same on our anthem. It sucks plain and simple. I believe a national anthem should stir the emotions of those that sing it, instill a sense of pride and actually make you want to sing it. Ours does none of those things. I often think that a lot of people are probably on the same page as myself and would like a different one but they can't change it now, it's too late really.

thickos

First Grade
woodgers said:

My opinion has always been the same on our anthem. It sucks plain and simple. I believe a national anthem should stir the emotions of those that sing it, instill a sense of pride and actually make you want to sing it. Ours does none of those things. I often think that a lot of people are probably on the same page as myself and would like a different one but they can't change it now, it's too late really.

Mate I'm sure you had goosebumps at the Uruguay match when the crowd belted out the anthem. It sounded fantastic.

Agree though on the Kiwi national anthem, it is just incredible when heard at sporting events etc - really fires up the crowd.

Leethal

Juniors
f**k you're a nasty piece of work :x :lol: :lol:, Palmo is God's country :thumb

But you're right woodgers, the anthem it sounds like a funeral march.

Thickos, 82000 people singing anything sounds good.............

P.S. Jed - I confess I wasn't having a shot at you in my previous post - I just needed an excuse to use the word "girt" in a sentence..........

Loz

Juniors
'Jump in My car'... isn't that the song that David Hasselhoff is doing a cover of?