What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Back Row

The Colonel

Immortal
:lol: @ Souths

You had a very good forward pack last year - result missed out on Top 8.

Year before, made the eight and went out first round.

Your team will win games this year off the back of a very good forward pack. They won't challenge for the premiership for one big reason - the lack of decent halves. Sure, Sutton lead the team in try assists but then when you don't have anyone else doing it it isn't particularly hard. Shut him down and they have to rely on individual plays to create tries.

Apparently Eddie Paea may be heading home as a back up for Chris Sandow too.....

It is a bit like Ferrari or McLaren building a great F1 car and getting stagger eel in the pit crew and me to drive the bloody thing..... :lol:

fanool

Juniors
Your a class act sam.

I did read your post and you stated that the Souths Pack is going to be much more formiddable than ANYTHING the Eels can throw up.

Well buddy the Eels are favourites to win the comp and the Rabbits are gonna gonna smash em to pieces (according to you) with a much more formiddable outfit.

So if you aren't saying they are gonna win the comp then what are you on about?

Souths to dominate all year and choke in the Semis AKA STG?
Souths to dominate all year and get pumped in the Major Prelim AKA DOGS?
Souths to PUMP Parra and then not make the 8?

Do tell.

Mickyd39

Juniors
i love it, every year Souths fans jiz in their pants about how they are going to win the comp, make the top 8 etc...

When they fail to do so they always look for an excuse as to why they failed, Eg blame the coach, Jason Taylor, Paul Langmack, refs hate us(so we spit on them, classy) and so on.

it comes down to this, Souths do not have a winning culture, granted they have won the most premierships but lets live in the now.

They last won the comp in 1971, that was 39 years ago, nothing since then apart from a few semi apperances, nothing too great.

i know Parra last won the comp in 1986 but at least we have made some grand finals since then.

Look at some of the talent that has gone to this club and still they don't deliver. when these players are purchased they are world beaters, they go to souths and the losing culture of the club takes over them and they perform like wise.

Wake up Souths supporters, you will not win a comp for some time to come. I don't care who you have bought, it won't make an ounce of difference, as in the past you have purchased big name players and they go on to do nothing, they just collect their massive pay cheque and do the what they have to so they can get through their contract with souths and leave a worse player.

Thats just my rant.

GO PARRA.

The Colonel

Immortal
I think Souths scored more tries than any other team though didn't they Colonel?

Sutton lead the team in try assists and they did score a number of tries but at times they were deadset rudderless. Until they get a genuine half, Sandow is a brilliant ad lib player but isn't an organiser, they won't have a serious tilt at the top four.....

They've spent all the money on the engine room..... no one to drive it.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Sutton lead the team in try assists and they did score a number of tries but at times they were deadset rudderless. Until they get a genuine half, Sandow is a brilliant ad lib player but isn't an organiser, they won't have a serious tilt at the top four.....

This is true of many teams and definately of Souths. You need a player that will guide the team around the park and Souths have plenty of muscle and flashy players but do they have the direction?

fanool

Juniors
The same could be said about the Cowboys and the Bulldogs. They always seem to focus their recruitment on the forwards and come up with impressive packs.

Doesn't always convert in to success though.

sooperdooper

First Grade
Souths have a good looking back row: in my eyes...
11. Burgess
12. Taylor
13. Crocker

however backrow is one area that nearly every team in the NRL are blessed in. Alot of talented back rows

Biggest thing that will help Souths this year is the coaching change.

Taylor is a crap coach. Never rated him.

Souths are def a top 6 team this year. With the players they have bought and because of Johnny Lang.

slammingsam

Juniors

Where you talk about Sandow is exactly where we went wrong last year..
JT tried to get him to organise and go away from his natural game and it ovibously didnt work..

He is at his best when he plays on the spur of the moment - that was very evident when he was playing 20s in 2008 and when he played firstgrade towards the end of 08.

slammingsam

Juniors
:lol: @ Souths

You had a very good forward pack last year - result missed out on Top 8.

Year before, made the eight and went out first round.

Your team will win games this year off the back of a very good forward pack. They won't challenge for the premiership for one big reason - the lack of decent halves. Sure, Sutton lead the team in try assists but then when you don't have anyone else doing it it isn't particularly hard. Shut him down and they have to rely on individual plays to create tries.

Apparently Eddie Paea may be heading home as a back up for Chris Sandow too.....

It is a bit like Ferrari or McLaren building a great F1 car and getting stagger eel in the pit crew and me to drive the bloody thing..... :lol:

I dont think we had a very good pack last year - if we did i dont think we would of spent most of our salary cap on 3 forwards.

slammingsam

Juniors
Your a class act sam.

I did read your post and you stated that the Souths Pack is going to be much more formiddable than ANYTHING the Eels can throw up.

Well buddy the Eels are favourites to win the comp and the Rabbits are gonna gonna smash em to pieces (according to you) with a much more formiddable outfit.

So if you aren't saying they are gonna win the comp then what are you on about?

Souths to dominate all year and choke in the Semis AKA STG?
Souths to dominate all year and get pumped in the Major Prelim AKA DOGS?
Souths to PUMP Parra and then not make the 8?

Do tell.

LOL favouristm counts for absolutely nothing.
Who knows what Parra and Souths and other teams are going to churn out next year..

All im saying was if i had to wager a bet as too who is going to beat eachother in the forwards i would comfortably take Souths.

The Colonel

Immortal
Where you talk about Sandow is exactly where we went wrong last year..
JT tried to get him to organise and go away from his natural game and it ovibously didnt work..

He is at his best when he plays on the spur of the moment - that was very evident when he was playing 20s in 2008 and when he played firstgrade towards the end of 08.

Your forward pack last year still was able to compete with most forward packs in the competition and did so regularly. Your lack of composure and organisation inside the attacking twenty metres was the difference between a good year and where you finished.

You still lack ANY organisation in positions 1,6,7 or 9 - Sandow and Luke aren't organisers, Sutton is a ball playing lock being used at 6 and your best fullback didn't play more than a handful of games and is a year older this year. Your best bet at any organisation is now playing rugby in Japan so you could spend more money on forwards.

As I've said you will win a good deal of games off the back of the forward pack you have this year. Making a difference in the finals will come down to your halves.

slammingsam

Juniors
You were watching a different team if you think we competed regularly..
We were dominated nearly every game - As Souths fans thats what was most annoying was that we were continually steamrolled.

I think Sutton is a very good 5/8th - he is no longer a lock or anything.. he does not have the workrate to be a lock.

I agree there is no standout organiser like an Orford or Smith - but i think Sutton and Luke will do a solid enough job in that regard.

The Colonel

Immortal
You were watching a different team if you think we competed regularly..
We were dominated nearly every game - As Souths fans thats what was most annoying was that we were continually steamrolled.

I think Sutton is a very good 5/8th - he is no longer a lock or anything.. he does not have the workrate to be a lock.

I agree there is no standout organiser like an Orford or Smith - but i think Sutton and Luke will do a solid enough job in that regard.

:lol:

Not a different team at all..... I'm just not as one eyed about the performances of your team as you are. You scored more tries than all bar one club. A lot of those came from broken field play and off the cuff football. The finals prove again and again that off the cuff doesn't help against structure. Burgess and Taylor are still learning the game and it will be interesting how they are used. Not sure either are starting players yet when you have blokes like Asotasi, Crocker and Stuart in your team and will rely on them again this year while the younger two find their way.

As for Sutton, at any other club the bloke would be playing lock. Given the forward pack Souths possess they don't need him there, however he'd be more dangerous playing on the fringes looking for runners either before or through the line than he would running the show......

Last edited:

natheel

Coach
well when it comes down to it....i wouldnt swap any other teams pack for our pack any day of the week.....they clearly did a bloody good job last season and no doubt will improve this season....my doubts lay in the backs particularly Hayne picking up where he left off

Eels Dude

Coach
Souths will have the best forward pack in the NRL next season. Taylor plays more like a backrower as does Burgess, they've got Crocker and Pettybourne and even Luke Stuart started in the backrow a fair bit this year. Problem is their halves, Sutton is great on his day but can be inconsistent. Sandow is the worst defensive player in the game, calling him a speed bump would be an insult to speed bumps. I'd say he's more of a chicane.

Our backrow is pretty good but we lack depth. Hindy, Smith, Mateo and Shacks is a good mix but any injuries we're kinda screwed. Props are fine. Still worry bout the halves a bit though, they're all rookies but a lot of clubs are in the same position so it's no big deal.

fanool

Juniors
Gee Sam,

For the Souths Pack to "comfortably beat the Parra pack next year" there is gonna need to be a huge amount of improvement from your boys.

You have a short memory. Friends of yours all said the same the same kind of thing last year and Parra had no probs with Souths.

I can't believe that you honestly believe 2 players are gonna turn everything around.

Anyway. We'll see in round 6.

Eelementary

Post Whore
This is an open forum as are the other teams forums on League Unlimited.
If I or anyone else for that matter feels the need to post then that is okay..

Im not baiting anyone here or saying anything out of the ordinary..
Im argueing my team has a fairly red hot backrow...

I would call Mateo a very good lock and Hindmarsh a player every team needs...
Not too sure about Smith though.

bullsh*t - a statement of, "My team's dicks are soooooo much bigger than your team's dicks!" is not an argument, but a bait. And fair enough, you got me.

f**k off now.