What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Back Row

Stagger eel

Staff member
Burgess has proven himself at the International Level.
He showed that with his strong performances.

Im not saying he is going to dominate from Round 1..
I think his first year will be abit patchy - but from then on i think yes he will.

will Asotasi be the same player as he was prior to his injury? will Ross even last the season? will 1 halfback with first grade experiance be enough? can you see your outside backs being a major issue given that you're carrying 2 ageing players while the rest with the exception of Merrit be relatively inexperianced?

I think there's more questions regarding your side at the moment which you'll need to address...although, having said that if this souths side does not make the 8 this year than it will no doubt be the biggest dissapointment since your club was kicked out of the comp.

you've spent more on players in the last few years than any other club in the comp, you must make the 8 this time, no excuses. ;-)

strider

Post Whore
This is an open forum as are the other teams forums on League Unlimited.
If I or anyone else for that matter feels the need to post then that is okay..

Im not baiting anyone here or saying anything out of the ordinary..
Im argueing my team has a fairly red hot backrow...

I would call Mateo a very good lock and Hindmarsh a player every team needs...
Not too sure about Smith though.

sorry - i wasn't questioning whether you should or shouldn't post here - i'm just amazed at the regularity that supporters of other teams find such posts in the parra forum so quickly .... do ppl read ALL the forums on a regular basis?

strider

Post Whore
btw - for what its worth, I think souths should murder any other team in the forwards with what they have bought .... and I actually have a nagging worry that parra might not be able to carry on this season - I have a bad 2002 deja vu feeling :(

slammingsam

Juniors
will Asotasi be the same player as he was prior to his injury? will Ross even last the season? will 1 halfback with first grade experiance be enough? can you see your outside backs being a major issue given that you're carrying 2 ageing players while the rest with the exception of Merrit be relatively inexperianced?

I think there's more questions regarding your side at the moment which you'll need to address...although, having said that if this souths side does not make the 8 this year than it will no doubt be the biggest dissapointment since your club was kicked out of the comp.

you've spent more on players in the last few years than any other club in the comp, you must make the 8 this time, no excuses. ;-)

Ross is on an incentive based contract and very little money - dont really count him in yet.

Asotasi will be fine - he wont take the NRL by storm at first but he will get back to his old ways.. Remembering he is still very young and a physical specimen.

Manly won the comp in 2008 with no real backup half..
I agree its a risk to take...

Our backs scored the most tries in 2009..
The only ageing player i can think of is Best ? Wesser wont make the field.. Our backs showed they can get over the line from anywhere.

slammingsam

Juniors
Its make or break for Souths in 2010.
I agree no more excuses - they have a great pack of forwards and a very capable backline..

Im not saying we have to win the comp but aiming for the Top 4 shouldnt be something we arent looking towards..

strider

Post Whore
Its make or break for Souths in 2010.
I agree no more excuses - they have a great pack of forwards and a very capable backline..

Im not saying we have to win the comp but aiming for the Top 4 shouldnt be something we arent looking towards..
don't forget john lang is a very good coach who can take a team all the way ..... you guys will sh*t it in :D

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
you're exactly right you have an amazing backrow, but one which I believe we have the ability to compete with but when a team like ours carries outside backs with the size, strength and about twice the speed of any forwards in the comp than I'm sure you'll realise that you'll need to do a little more than just carry a formidible forward pack.

Stagger, as mentioned in posts before Christmas.... this has been the basis of the tactics I would be applying if I was coaching the Eels. I would be using Robson and Mortimer to direct the attack in such a way to pull big defensive forwards apart (as Souths now have) and stretch them out across the park into staggered defensive lines. We do this by the fast play the balls and the 2nd phase plays we would employ.....

Forwards like Fui and Poore denting the defensive lines (with Cayless, Hindy, Mannah etc, assisting) providing fast play the balls, speed men running at lines at the forwards to keep the defending forwards unable to meet at the play the ball and then with staggered defensive lines in place (after 1, 2, 3 or 4 tackles), setting off forwards running and turning at the line, at speed, setting off 2nd phase plays (balls back to Robson, Mortimer, Mateo, Keating/s, Burt, etc) and having our big fast backs at speed then getting these balls while running at lines (often at angles), (either side of the ruck and even up the middle if Robson or Mortimer dictate) and then either after bursting through the staggered defensive lines and scoring or offloading to speed men (or those with great fends) following them through and then offloading to our mobile backrowers or fast backs or halves and scoring. Kicks through or over the line will be employed too instead of offlods or crashing through defenders.

In a game against teams like Souths, who controls the ball the best for 80 minutes will most definitely tire out the opposition forward pack and go on to win the game. DA & trainers will have the Eels forwards fitness even better than last year.

Souths may play well 2010 but if the Eels play well too, they will run right over the top of the Souths pack in the last 10 minutes (even the last 15 to 20 minutes). It's the Eels big fast backs, wide expansive game (even in wet weather) and huge array of attacking arsenal that brings undone all other defensive units in the NRL 2010.... all compliments of tremendous fitness, never say die attitude and a calm cool organised disposition that defeats whatever is thrown at the Eels.

And then there is this awesome ability for Eels backrowers (and occasionally 8/10 props) to interchange with the backs anywhere on the park at anytime during a game causing absolute nightmares for all other teams to defend against. The Eels "natural unpredictability" and with a bit of titillation provided by DA & Co to help this skill be brought to fruition, players like Mateo, Fui, Cayless, Mannah, Smith, Hindmarsh, etc, will devastate back-lines. We all got a glimpse of what is coming 2010 during the 2nd half of the 2009 GF against the Storm.

There is no other team in the 2010 NRL competition that can match the Eels attacking prowess across the park unless News Limited instructs its referees to cripple the Eels attacking game and we ALL saw the net result of this despicable tactic at play in the 2009 GF.

Last edited:

slammingsam

Juniors
Slammy

the head coach is a question great forwards but who is the kicking coach?

Kurt Wrigley is our assistant coach.
He handles the kicking side of things.

This is his first year - last year i think Ellison and Taylor had a fair bit to do with that.

natheel

Coach
souths will have a good pack on paper but the season hasnt bloody started....burgess still has to prove himself in NRL, dave taylor isnt in a team like the broncos with a player like lockyer feeding the ball to him....big questions asked of those 2 right there.....sure sutton is a good bloody player no doubt but sandow has a habit of going missing after a couple of good games.

and with ross souths will get their money worth of him regardless of getting on the field or not....didnt pay much and if injured will provide great exposure for younger players coming through

slammingsam

Juniors
I accept the fact there are questions marks over Burgess/Ross/Taylor etc..
I cant accept Mannah and Cayless being called world class props.
I really rate Mannah highly - i think he shows alot of potential for a guy whos 21/22

Fui!!!

Juniors
I accept the fact there are questions marks over Burgess/Ross/Taylor etc..
I cant accept Mannah and Cayless being called world class props.
I really rate Mannah highly - i think he shows alot of potential for a guy whos 21/22

In the last 10-15 games of 09, Cayless was in the same form as he was when he was the World Cup winning captain.

Mannah will play for NSW and Aus within 2 seasons if he keeps improving at this rate.

Bigfella

Coach
I completely disagree re cayless. IMO he was very disappointing in the gf and in the games before it. Once again the outside backs, and grothe in particular, had to provide the go forward. And fui hayne and Mateo delivered the leadership he failed to provide..
Our team this year would be far stronger and have more depth if his salary went to a couple of hardheads - maybe one prop and one backrower.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Cayless was pretty badly injured in the GF. First tackle re-injured him.

What Souths are lacking is balance (so are we if we consider the halves and hookers). IMO, Melbourne is still the team to beat.

strider

Post Whore
watch that highlight package on youtube - caylo figures in a fair few tries - he's often one of the people getting an offload ... our entire success last year was to be mobile and offload - caylo is one of the keys to that

The Engineers Room

First Grade
watch that highlight package on youtube - caylo figures in a fair few tries - he's often one of the people getting an offload ... our entire success last year was to be mobile and offload - caylo is one of the keys to that

And lets all hope they build on those offlaods and mobility with more interchange of passing before and through the line. They can't try and muscle and grind other teams, our game is not suited to that, we can't play boring. We proved that if we can move the opposition defence around with offloads and passing, the gaps will open.

franklin2323

Immortal
Cayless was pretty badly injured in the GF. First tackle re-injured him.

What Souths are lacking is balance (so are we if we consider the halves and hookers). IMO, Melbourne is still the team to beat.

Spot on with souths backs are questionable no Backup 1/2's or hooker.

Anyway on to your backrow. Starting wise looks decent if Smith holds the ball. I think Shackleton was signed as a prop but it was before the late season run. Guys like Mannah stood up so I think he will now be a backrower especially with Hauraki, Galuvao and Lowrie gone

fanool

Juniors
9am and I am back at work. Only to find my post rail roaded by a souths fan.

Gee. A souths fan who is convinced they will win the comp with their amazing buys in the off season before they have played a game together. Is this déjà vois??

When are they gonna learn to wait to see how there team plays before they start boasting?

Anyway. Apparently Souths get to have 4 backrowers to start this year. So yes I would pick 4 back rowers over Hindy, Mateo and Smith.

However, if Souths just field 3 backrowers (which I think they will after being deducted of 2 competion points for fielding 14 players) they would appear to be:

Tell you what Slamming Sam. When you guys work out who your back row is, then we will compare them. And by the way, you get to pick 3.

slammingsam

Juniors
If you bothered to read i never said we are going to win the comp..
My backrow..

I would have..

Taylor
Pettybourne
Burgess