What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our backline 2022 and beyond

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Taking a look at our backs for this year, it's an interesting exercise to see what our backline could look like next year.

Candidates: current squad
Ramsey, Ravalawa, Max Feagai, Mat Feagai, Lomax, Bird, Periera.
Candidates: juniors
Sloan, SSE, Schiller, Lobb, Morkos

(Letting go: Williame, Beale, Dufty)

Halves: Hunt, Sullivan, Clune, Amone.

(Letting go Norman)

Now put your backline 1-7.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Taking a look at our backs for this year, it's an interesting exercise to see what our backline could look like next year.

(Letting go Norman)

I’d be pretty surprised if JP is around next year he’s off contract this year

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I’d expect JP to stay around.

Q: the guys you state are being let go, is this a guess?, certainty? Or...

Educated guess.
I also think they'll re-sign JP. He's not on big coin, and adds experience if needed ans won't complain if he's playing reggies. As I said on another thread, reminds me of Matt Ikavalu, and he's doing a great job for Robinson at the Roosters right now.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Given your candidates I’d assume the following

1RAMSEY
2max
3Bird
4Lomazx
5rav4
6hunt
7sullivan

however, ide like to see Bird transition to pack at some stage, have Max move to centre and see mat Fegai given a wing spot. Also, if Ramsey doesn’t perform at FB, would have him back at wing. I’m not yet convinced either Ramsey or the young guys behind him are ready for NRL FB starter positions.

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors

(Letting go Norman)

I was told SSE has left the club.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
As I see it we have 3 'certainties' for the starting back 5 ie: Lomax, Ravalawa & Ramsey. I think Bird will go to edge forward next year.

For example:
Fullback - Ramsey
Right wing - Rava
Right centre - Lomax

That leaves 2 spots on the left. Do we go with the 2 Feagai boys? Or just 1 and include Sloan? Or is it Sloan to fullback and Ramsey on left wing?

Spazer

Juniors
For 2022

1. Sloan
2. Ramsey
3. Bird/max
4. Lomax
5. Rav
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt

Fb could be ramsey's depending how he goes this year. Amone could be at 6 he looks good.

Smurf

Juniors
1. Sloan
2. Ramsey
3. Bird
4. Lomax
5. Rava
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt

Plus we have Amone , Matt F , Max F

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Educated guess.
I also think they'll re-sign JP. He's not on big coin, and adds experience if needed ans won't complain if he's playing reggies. As I said on another thread, reminds me of Matt Ikavalu, and he's doing a great job for Robinson at the Roosters right now.

I've always been a fan of JP's fearless ball-running- just a bit concerned that someone's been in his ear about being more aggressive with his defence which contributed to that poor tackle.

Unsainty79

Juniors
There's reports of our interest in Hynes, although I would be very surprised if this was true. We've been grooming Ramsey for the fullback role for a long time & I think he will get first crack.

Sloan is a gun young player, but is still putting weight on, I think he is a little while off yet and will probably get a start on the wing before being thrown into fullback, if ever.

Amone will play on an edge, or lock, I think. Again, he is some time off being a fully fledged first-grader.

Bird was earmarked for a role in the back-row, but with the signing of Burns, Kerr moving to the edge, return of De Belin & his strong form in the centers, he may well stay there. He provides a lot of experience to a young back-line.

Sullivan will 100% be in the team, the Dragons threw the house at him to retain him, he had offers elsewhere, including a big one from the Dogs. I think he will come from the bench this year, and then will start at 6 next year.

I think Norman may be retained, perhaps as a 14. I think he could be versatile, particularly off the bench. No team will pick him up now as a five-eight.

1. Ramsey
2. Max
3. Bird
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6.Sullivan
7. Hunt

Above is a very, very young back-line. I have heard Dragons may look for an experienced out-side back for 1-2 years to act as cover. Not sure how true that is, though.

be55

Juniors
Just listening to Hook and his coach's preview on the club website...he made it clear that Dufty was good around the club and that letting him go had nothing to do with anything off the field, and that it was all football related...I found it strange that when he was asked about going to the market place for a replacement, he made it clear that we would be looking internally for our next fullback, mentioning Ramsey and Sloan...

That didn't surprise me because i had a feeling that the club would be leaning that way, but what did make me a little concerned was when he made the comment that "we don't have a heap of money in next year's cap"...

" WHAT THE F**K...WE HAVE NO ROOM IN NEXT YEAR'S SALARY CAP "

So many ways that this statement makes my mind boggle...but the fact that we have let go so fairly significant cattle lately and really haven't made any big purchases...it makes you wonder what sort of coin the likes of McCullough, Bird and McGuire are on...

But what really sends a shiver up my spine is that maybe the reason we don't have any room to move in the cap for next year is because the club are going to re-sign Corey Norman...Even typing it makes me want to throw the laptop out the window :mad:

If Norman is on the reported $800,000, there's a big chunk of change that could be used to make an astute purchase or two...

I am really starting to get this terrible feeling that the club are going to re-sign Norman, and this nightmare we've had to endure for the last three years, of putting up with this useless, lazy, aimless, good-for-nothing, spiritless, imposter is going to continue...

And if that is the case, then God give us all strength, because we'll need it...

SnowDragon

Juniors
I could see Amone in the #14 moving in to next year. I too heard that they consider him a back rower long term, but I think he is too young/small atm to be a starter in such a role. However, with tiring players he could come in and make an impact there, and can easily fill in as a back.

much better than considering Norman for that role ;)

possm

Coach
1. Sloan
2. Ramsey
3. Bird
4. Lomax
5. Rava
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt

Plus we have Amone , Matt F , Max F
Ramsey
Matt Feagai
Max Feagai
Lomax
Ravalawa
Sullivan
Hunt

Bird to edge froward alsonside Sims
Sloan to fullback in reserve grade
The Feagai brothers to be our next Morris brothers

Last edited:

mickeylane

Bench
1. Kennedy or Hyne
2. Rava
3. Bird
4. Lomax
5. Ramsay

6. Milford!!!
7. Hunt

this is based on what I believe Hook will do..there is a thought they have already secured their FB before Dufty being released...so either backing Ramsay all the way or they have secured Kennedy or Hyne or Milford

Plus i have a hunch Hook would think he can kickstart Milfords career again and match him w Hunt...I think Hunt would have a big say on who the 5/8 is next year...and he loved playing w Milford

blacksafake

First Grade
Just listening to Hook and his coach's preview on the club website...he made it clear that Dufty was good around the club and that letting him go had nothing to do with anything off the field, and that it was all football related...I found it strange that when he was asked about going to the market place for a replacement, he made it clear that we would be looking internally for our next fullback, mentioning Ramsey and Sloan...

That didn't surprise me because i had a feeling that the club would be leaning that way, but what did make me a little concerned was when he made the comment that "we don't have a heap of money in next year's cap"...

" WHAT THE F**K...WE HAVE NO ROOM IN NEXT YEAR'S SALARY CAP "

So many ways that this statement makes my mind boggle...but the fact that we have let go so fairly significant cattle lately and really haven't made any big purchases...it makes you wonder what sort of coin the likes of McCullough, Bird and McGuire are on...

But what really sends a shiver up my spine is that maybe the reason we don't have any room to move in the cap for next year is because the club are going to re-sign Corey Norman...Even typing it makes me want to throw the laptop out the window :mad:

If Norman is on the reported $800,000, there's a big chunk of change that could be used to make an astute purchase or two...

I am really starting to get this terrible feeling that the club are going to re-sign Norman, and this nightmare we've had to endure for the last three years, of putting up with this useless, lazy, aimless, good-for-nothing, spiritless, imposter is going to continue...

And if that is the case, then God give us all strength, because we'll need it...
Every year for the last 10 years the club is always saying there’s not much room in their salary cap. Why I don’t know.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Schiller is coming along nicely and will surprise many. He has made a very successful early jump to NSW Cup and is already looking classy at that level. Wouldn't be surprised to see him at centre next year with Bird in the forwards to plug our backrow shortage.

1. Ramsey
2. Sloan/Matt/Max
3. Schiller
4. Lomax
5. Rava
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt

Latest posts