What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our best backline?

fanool

Juniors
I think our best backs at the moment are:

Hayne, Tahu, Smith, Inu & Grothe. Reddy shouldn't be in front of any of these players.

The only Option is either Inu or Hayne at fullback. The other three can't be swapped around (except for Tahu to wing)

So the question really is who is the better FULLBACK? This dictates our best backline ATM.

I dunno - you tell me. I reckon Inu.

Yeah you can put Tahu on the wing sure. But only if Inu is NOT Fullback.

So Inu to fullback =

1.Inu
2.Hayne
3.Smith
4.Tahu
5.Grothe

With Hayne at Fullback then you have to choose between Tahu and Inu. I'll take Tahu and put Inu on the wing.

But that is a waste. Either Tahu OR Inu on the Wing is a Waste of talent in my most humble opinion.

So that's what I reckon. I must admit I have been thinking about this and it was only yesterday when the answer dawned on me = Inu to FB. Then everyone is happy.

For the people who don't rate B.Smith - Fair Cop however his defense is MAGNIFICENT. And that's what got us the 2 points yesterday. Not the attacking genius but the defence of our backline.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
interesting to see Inu at FB, he played pretty well and with Hayne at centre he gets his hands on the ball alot more often

Hayne can set up a play and he's a fair kicker, not just a finisher

Hurriflatch

Referee
I did say it kinda jokingly but Inu has played a test match at fullback and did very well

also when Manekafoa was held up late in the game it was Inu who was playing fullback who actually got under the ball and stopped him scoring, in the test match Inu stopped Mason from scoring.

Inu's defensive deficancies which are obvious in the centres just seem less obvious at fullback in part because he has to do less defence as he is the last line.

sooperdooper

First Grade
inu and tahu in centres is our best combo.... tahu and grothe looked good down that side! as did reddy and inu!
keep it the same for the broncos

eels_fan_01

Bench
What does anyone see in Reddy anyways?? I missed the game yesterday but i seen hes try and it wasnt anything special. I watch most of the premier league games at parra stadium aswell and i always have thought hes an average player, i mean he can get over the line i guess but as a complete package i dont rate him really.

Id have.

1.Hayne
2.Inu
3.B.Smith
4.Tahu
5.Grothe

I still dont think its our best backline without Burt though.

Bigfella

Coach
TBH if Reddy is going to be there because of injuries ie last match I would go:

Reddy
Hayne
Inu
Tahu
Grothe

this week I would go:

Inu
Hayne
Tahu
Smith
Grothe

only because Inu's defensive deficiencies which Flatch mentioned actually seemed far worse when he was on the wing in the Knights match.

I also think Hayne at this stage is a long long way from being as effective at fullback as he is on the wing.

1-eyed commented he would like to see Inu on the wing but with him playing in the centres in attack and swapping with Ben as much as possible?

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Wow - Flatch's backline is actually what most of us would agree with! Shock! Horror!
I think it's by far our best option at the moment - however i also loved Bazal's 'Tahu will play wherever the hell he gets selected!' :lol:

I thought that Reddy played one of his best games yesterday - I never felt uneasy when he had the ball, and his try was a corker!!!

fish eel

Immortal
Tahu would be the first centre I pick.

I dont buy this whole 'he can play on the wing and Inu can play in the centres' just because Tahu is going to Union next year.

We're in with a shout of a home final and then who knows wbhat else. Pick our best 17, and worry about next year the minute we're out of contention this year.

And I agree Jess, I thought Joel had his best game since his match against the bulldogs in 05.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
if hayne does not play fullback i see him leaving parra then.
he will be a good fullback, inu is there to replace tahu next year, so leave inu in the centres and play him fullback only if required, there were not many opportunities for hayne yesterday but i think at suncorp where he killed it in origin he will be due for a big game.

jk13

First Grade
i don't think it really matters with the way inu and hayne swap. The number on their back doesnt determine where they r going to play for 80 min. i'd give Hayne 2 weeks to own the no.1 on his back or its all Inus. Hayne deserves 1st choice.

Good on ya Reddy, you're not setting the world on fire, but no one should be criticising your effort or committment.

As much as Burt has impressed me, i can't see him breaking back into the side. If someone can fill in his back up role, there is really nothing he can add to this team (goal kicking aside). The eels have constantly proved they are a team of momentum, i dont think Burt will have the time to cement his place and bring his confidence level back up to pre-injury.

Bigfella

Coach
One of the reasons Reddy looked good was that he was playing outside a centre who not only creates chances but looks to link with his outside man where possible.

Not an opportunity our wingers have had too often lately!

And that is just a comment on styles, nothing more. Smith and tahu are guns in their own right. I just reckon that as a winger I 'd rather play outside of Inu...

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
the thing is, if parra are going along well and winning games. how do you drop someone to give burt a go? yeah he was in fine form, but if it aint broke dont fix it

fish eel

Immortal
On Hayne at fullback....I couldnt help but notice how often they kicked away from him, especially in the first half Or maybe his positional play wasnt the best

Bigfella

Coach
-the thing is, if parra are going along well and winning games. how do you drop someone to give burt a go? yeah he was in fine form, but if it aint broke dont fix it

You would only say that if Hayne, and the team were playing better than with Burt at fullback. I don;t think anyone would suggest that is the case.

Hayne needs to improve:

Positional play (hasn't taken a ball on the full other than one bomb in the 1.5 games he's played there); kick chase on short kicks; targeting gaps on kick returns; probably even support play off the forwards.

I have no doubt these things will come, but if Burt is available he must play. And if he plays he must play FB, not wing. Even if Hayne proves as good as Burt at FB, the fact is he is 10 times the winger Burty is!

Latest posts