What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Forum

antonius

Coach
I have decided to put this spiel (for want of a better word) up in the hope that between all of us we can do something to re-vitalise our forum (footy, Social, and Crusade). There seems to be a dwindling amount of activity around here lately, We have lost a lot of the old posters who like them or not added to the mix of personalities we had on here, IMO we are the poorer for that, and it appears to be gaining momentum (especially in the footy section). There is no discussion without topics, and the best way to correct that is to put up threads, if everyone who visits starts just one thread we would see a marked increase in the forums use. We used to be one of the most active on LU, I would love to see us get back to that, to do it we all need to be involved. If we continue the present trend, pretty soon people will stop even visiting because of the lack of interaction.
The other point I want to raise is our treatment of each other. It has been noticeable that a lot of new people seem to come in here, and for some reason don’t return after a few visits. Some of that could be due to a perception of the existence of clique’s., and the way some posters react with each other could be off putting to new people. There appears to be some angst between people on our forum (and I’m prob guilty of it as well, even though I try not to be) that is also off-putting. If we can all remember that we will never all agree on everything, but that is no reason to become abusive with one another, so I’m asking that we all try and appreciate each others opinions, and if we do disagree, then do it in the form of debate rather than aggression. I haven’t started this thread to have it turned into a bitch fest, rather to try and get us back on track, so constructive suggestions would be good.

northey

First Grade
good stuff

The other point I want to raise is our treatment of each other. It has been noticeable that a lot of new people seem to come in here, and for some reason don’t return after a few visits. Some of that could be due to a perception of the existence of clique’s., and the way some posters react with each other could be off putting to new people.

it aint just the new people who get 'attacked' by posters here. it is also the people who have been here since we moved from the old newcaslte forum.

astrogirl

First Grade
I agree Tony.

I think it is in the forum's best interests to have posters who are diverse. This means that we won't always agree with each other, but what it does mean is that we get broad perspectives about our team, and any footy and social thread topics.

I have stated in the past that I would like us to be kind, welcoming and respectful to newbies to give them a chance to find their feet. And to each other as well. We also want to retain existing members - i.e us!! - so if anyone has any suggestions or concerns then you should feel free to contact me or one of the other mods/admin. Or post constructive comments here.

Can I also please highlight Tony's request that this be a constructive thread rather than a bitch fest.

astrogirl

First Grade
northey said:
it aint just the new people who get 'attacked' by posters here. it is also the people who have been here since we moved from the old newcaslte forum.
I suppose that at the end of the day, it doesn't matter if we are
newbies or regulars,
LU only or came from the forums on the Knights site,
crusade or non crusade,
have extensive footy knowledge or still learning about the game,
etc etc

we should all be respectful of each other, and reflect that in the way we post.

An idea might be an idea if mods actually start removing posts that are outright abusive, people would soon get the picture.

And yes I've been guilty of it in the past on occassion.

astrogirl

First Grade
Sir Knight82 said:
An idea might be an idea if mods actually start removing posts that are outright abusive, people would soon get the picture.
We do try however it's just not possible to get to everything quickly. For example, I work in a office environment and can't spend much an excessive amount of time during the days.

I would also like to think that each of us knows when comments overstep the mark. Unfortunately this is not always the case...

northey

First Grade
we are all here to have a laugh (social forum) and to talk about footy, with our own views that should not be questioned to the extent that they are sometimes by other people on the forum. if you think a player is good, you should be able to say that.

:)

PrideKnight

Bench
See, until very recently, i was rarely involved in any sort of online stouche, ask anyone who knows me, im one of the easiest guys to get along with.

Yeah everyone has thier little tiff's, but the blowups ive had with only one poster are not even a result of things i've said, but of said posters perceptions about my thoughts on myself, and my relationship with the knights.

In regards to opinions, of course everyone has one and they arent all going to agree, but where do you draw the line before it gets personal, when idiots like TLP(among others) come in and start talking up industrial action and boycotts of the team off one abysmal performance.

Totally agree though tony, there has been a massive downtourn in forum activity, especially in the past few weeks, you would think seeing as we are third there would be heaps of new posters.

Our jerseys are helping generate a few new posters through the site, but only 3 this week.

*sigh* what do we do though?

astrogirl said:
We do try however it's just not possible to get to everything quickly. For example, I work in a office environment and can't spend much an excessive amount of time during the days.

I would also like to think that each of us knows when comments overstep the mark. Unfortunately this is not always the case...

Same, and thats totally appreciated but even if its done at a later date at a mods leisure and a brief note to the person..... Just a suggestion.

I know I've copped a few in my time and they've made me pull my head in.

antonius

Coach
Sir Knight82 said:

And yes I've been guilty of it in the past on occassion.
I think rather than Mods/Admin do that, the poster concerned be requested by Mods/Admin to modify their post, that way it re-enforces the point with the originator, coming onto the forum to find your post gone only inflames things. I think we all want a healthy forum to bounce things off each in, but it's really up to us to make that work, self moderation is definately the way to go, so if someone steps over the line, then rather than jump on the bandwagon,(as sometimes happens) we should be trying to point each other in the right direction. It doesn't have to be left to a Mod.

B-dos

Referee
Fully agree with all your comments Tony.

I have also noticed a significant downturn in forum activity lately and id love to see a few more people here posting more often. Im always keen to welcome new members so that we can create a more diverse group and get a few new characters here to liven things up a little.

les norton

First Grade
I would like UT to come back...i actually found him amusing.

I think there has been a slight us v them mentality creeping along but i do believe that no one really wants it.

(i really want to post some more but am sooooooo busy, i'll check this thread tonight and actually take my time to respond....Great thread btw tony!!!)

astrogirl

First Grade
UT is definitely a character.

I don't think he generally posts things that are so shocking. On the whole his posts tend to be quirky and UT-oriented, rather than freaky. He just liked to show his character I think.

antonius

Coach
I have actually been in contact with UT, and asked him to re-consider and come back on the forums, time will tell if that's successful or not.

Parki

Bench
I think there has been a slight us v them mentality creeping along but i do believe that no one really wants it.

I think that as well.... which is why i mainly post in the crusade forum. I get the feeling that there are many people on this board that have a common misconception that "we" (the crusade) think that we somehow superseed everybody else, and i really hate that logic. I too have been guilty of picking fights (particularly with iang) for which i am sorry about. I dont know how we split the us vs them mentality, but I would like to try.

The reality is this. There are a lot of people on this board (call them alpha males, call them jackasses, call them what you want) that have a massive ego trip and wont see any other point of view. You cant change people, I guess you can only take a look at yourself and see how you can contribute better to the board. If we all did that (me included) we might find that the problem will fix itself

Parki

Bench
oh and one last point

if everyone took 30 seconds to think about what they were writing when an argument flaired up, and asked themselves "what am I contributing by doing this" maybe we wouldnt have these problems in the first place

just a thought

Latest posts