What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Forum

antonius

Coach
Parki said:
I think that as well.... which is why i mainly post in the crusade forum. I get the feeling that there are many people on this board that have a common misconception that "we" (the crusade) think that we somehow superseed everybody else, and i really hate that logic. I too have been guilty of picking fights (particularly with iang) for which i am sorry about. I dont know how we split the us vs them mentality, but I would like to try.

The reality is this. There are a lot of people on this board (call them alpha males, call them jackasses, call them what you want) that have a massive ego trip and wont see any other point of view. You cant change people, I guess you can only take a look at yourself and see how you can contribute better to the board. If we all did that (me included) we might find that the problem will fix itself
This post really hits on one of the big problems facing us, and we need to get over that idea. The Crusade is a great idea, and from what I've seen has made it's mark in the club, and therefore is a part of our club. I won't pretend that I like the idea of it being on a page that appears as "Private" to a lot of posters, and I think that contributes to the us v them mentality. There are plenty of reasons why some people are not in the stands with those guys, I don't think that should be why they are excluded from that forum, to be honest I am still un aware of what is required to be a member of the crusade, I know I had access to that forum, but now don't. Look all that aside, the best way to get activity is to post threads, everyone has an opinion, and that's the way to promote discussion.

Parki

Bench
the reality of why its private is quite simple

there is a lot of personal information (addresses, meeting places, etc etc) in the forum, and we dont want people who shouldnt have access to it getting hold of this information.

It isnt personal, we are just covering our own backs, and the reality of the situation is all you have to do to get access to it is ask. A lot of people who used to have access to it were taken off, as they didnt post or contribute, and we felt for our own security it was better that they didnt have access to it anymore. Its really as simple as that.

The only way we are going to get past any of this, is if you guys who are sceptical of us come see for yourselves what we are like at games. We dont bite, and we wont force you to come be part of the crusade, but at least have a chat to us and find out what we we are about before you cast us off into the "stuck up snobs" category

TooheysNew

Coach
It isnt personal, we are just covering our own backs, and the reality of the situation is all you have to do to get access to it is ask. A lot of people who used to have access to it were taken off, as they didnt post or contribute, and we felt for our own security it was better that they didnt have access to it anymore. Its really as simple as that.
Actually there's slightly more to it than asking, or at least there will be come next monday. Access will be restricted to those who have completed membership only. I started to remove people who were not members, but it's not really possible until we can get all the forms back. I've turned your access back on in the meantime tony.

astrogirl

First Grade
antonius said:
This post really hits on one of the big problems facing us, and we need to get over that idea. The Crusade is a great idea, and from what I've seen has made it's mark in the club, and therefore is a part of our club. I won't pretend that I like the idea of it being on a page that appears as "Private" to a lot of posters, and I think that contributes to the us v them mentality. There are plenty of reasons why some people are not in the stands with those guys, I don't think that should be why they are excluded from that forum, to be honest I am still un aware of what is required to be a member of the crusade, I know I had access to that forum, but now don't. Look all that aside, the best way to get activity is to post threads, everyone has an opinion, and that's the way to promote discussion.
My understanding is that work is being done at the moment to establish the member list.

On the flipside - I think it could be argued that having the crusade forum in public view could actually exacerbate feelings of exclusivity. Especially because a lot of it's content is merely banter and in-jokes established by those sitting with the crusade during games. Just something to think about.

Anything not crusade specific should be posted in the social forum. I believe this is what is happening now.

We do need some kind of balance. Perhaps we could have a Sticky in the Knights main forum page that discusses Crusade organisation issues - like who is going to games etc etc? Cos there might be members of the wider forum community who may wish to try sitting with the Crusade to see if it is their cup of tea, and decide if they would like to join...

B-dos

Referee
antonius said:

I couldnt agree more. I think the Crusade is a great idea and great for the club but ill be brutally honest and say that i think the crusade is the sole reason behind the us vs them mentality and this is hugely due to the 'private' forum which many are exluded from including myself. As tony said, many people here, for their own reasons, cant or choose not to be part of the crusade, this shouldnt label them in any way.

To be honests parki, i think your first post is a shocker and is a prime example of what tony is taking about. eg: not contributing to the 'public' knights forum for whatever reason, and then your critical comment of 'alpha males' and 'jackasses', that type of thing doesnt exactly promote friendship.

Parki

Bench
an example of this happened quite recently

we had an argument with another group of supporters, which threatened to blow up in our faces, and the truth is we didnt exactly handle it very well either. It was only after speaking to them and ironing out the issues that we had, that we could move forward. They dont sit with us, which is fair enough, because everybody has their own space, their own piece of turf and thats fine. We get that. Not everybody wants to be a part of it, and we get it, we really do. I personally draw the line at people criticising us, when all we are trying to do is be another part of the reason why footy is fun.

Its no secret that the eastern grandstand lacks atmosphere, and all we are trying to do is add an element of fun and excitement to it. Theres nothing like being at EAS when 28,000 people are yelling "newcastle", and if we can bring that back then so be it.

Were all on the same team. So lets start acting like it

TooheysNew

Coach
I agree with Astro about the Crusade forum. It's crusade related organisational threads - stuff which is relevant only to the Crusade.

The idea about a Crusade thread in the Knights forum is a good one.

Parki

Bench
To be honests parki, i think your first post is a shocker and is a prime example of what tony is taking about. eg: not contributing to the 'public' knights forum for whatever reason, and then your critical comment of 'alpha males' and 'jackasses', that type of thing doesnt exactly promote friendship.

I also included myself in that list. I have been guilty of only posting in the crusade forum, and ive said that. My point is I confine myself to the crusade forum because I myself feel isolated. I feel that ive been labelled "one of those crusade blokes" and therefore to protect myself id rather not post in the social area. I hate being labelled as anything, and i especially dont want to be victimised because ive joined a group that now consists of my closest friends.

You dont agree that there are people on the board that wont see any other point of view? thats what i meant by alpha males and jackasses

I think you missed my point entirely b-dos. The point is there is segregation on both sides, so i ask you. How do we fix it? How can I as a poster make things better for yourself or others who feel this type of negativity towards yourselves?

astrogirl

First Grade
Any comments not Crusade specific should really go in the Main footy forum and Social forums, in my opinion.

We need contributions from everyone to the Main footy forum! Yep, even you Parki ;-)

Samwise

Bench
GROOUUP HUGGG!!!!

I think the crusade is fine, I get no sense of animosity from their side. I hope the group grows alot more. I love seeing those jerseys on the ch nine coverage. You guys get quite a lot of the audience shots.

All the forum needs is a) don't be a tosser to new members. be welcoming and encourage their input, b) everyone chill out a bit. There are a few members on here that can't take a joke (and if you have no sense of humour people really aren't going to want to interact with you too often), and c) as tony said, start more threads and contribute more. Post whore it up people.

Parki

Bench
well

example:

I write a column every week about how the crusade went on the weekend..... now i dont put it up in the social area because of 2 reasons

1) i will be victimised by the people that "dislike" what we are doing
2) i will be criticised by the people who dont understand it, and dont want to

now should i turn around and take a punt that one week i might put it up or what? I really dont know TBH

PrideKnight

Bench
Example 2:

After the melbourne game, people were ripping in saying how crap the players were and how they no longer had pride in the jersey etc.

Going in for the players defence the point of illness was bought up. I assumed everyone would have known seeing as we found out about it from a forummer who called us on our way down.

Turns out not everyone did know, but immediately my throat was jumped down because i had "insider information" from the club.

yes i was very vehement in my protest of what people were saying, but not because im a crusader, because im a passionate and loyal man who took all into consideration.

antonius

Coach
I completely understand the points you make Mark. ie:- personal info etc, and that's fine. I'm just looking at it from the outside, when people come on here and see the section marked "Private" it imediately puts up wary mechanisms. I think some sort of permanant stickie with some explanation is a great idea, and will go a long way to helping quell that perception. I do think though Mark that you have plenty to contribute to all the forums, in fact I know you have, the mere fact that you are reluctant too says a lot about what I'm attempting to address here. I make no excuses about feeling hard done by when I became aware that my access had been removed from the Crusade forum without explanation beforehand. It just added to a missconception that I already had. I think a lot of us had made some incorrect assumptions along the way, information from both sides would put an end to that.

northey

First Grade
Actually there's slightly more to it than asking, or at least there will be come next monday. Access will be restricted to those who have completed membership only. I started to remove people who were not members, but it's not really possible until we can get all the forms back. I've turned your access back on in the meantime tony

what is a membership? will you let us know who has completed one and who hasn't?

i agree that the crusade forum remains private.
i think Parki is right if he was to post his weekly column in the general section he would be vitimised and crticised.. i totally agree what he has said, speaking from experience.
i have found that i hardly even post in the footy section, let alone the whole forum any more

antonius

Coach
Parki said:
well

example:

I write a column every week about how the crusade went on the weekend..... now i dont put it up in the social area because of 2 reasons

1) i will be victimised by the people that "dislike" what we are doing
2) i will be criticised by the people who dont understand it, and dont want to

now should i turn around and take a punt that one week i might put it up or what? I really dont know TBH
In that case Mark, then that is where it's up to us, and the mods, to tell people to pull thier heads in, the same goes for your example PK however I think we both know you did go off a bit half cocked LOL.

TooheysNew

Coach
northey said:
what is a membership? will you let us know who has completed one and who hasn't?

i agree that the crusade forum remains private.
i think Parki is right if he was to post his weekly column in the general section he would be vitimised and crticised.. i totally agree what he has said, speaking from experience.
i have found that i hardly even post in the footy section, let alone the whole forum any more
You'll all be made aware of it when we get our paperwork back. There's a bit of legwork to do before I can really inform anyone of anything solid.

PrideKnight said:
Turns out not everyone did know, but immediately my throat was jumped down because i had "insider information" from the club.

No personal feelings about myself involved or directed towards others, that wasnt the gripe the gripe was that you where very rude and were very harsh and aggressive for peoples oppinions about the game, yes some where very negative.

Too someone on this forum? Not all of us use it on the w/end.

Parki

Bench
and im more than happy to share that

as I said before, we arent vultures

if anyone wants any information regarding the crusade, im more than happy to provide it, or chat to people at the ground, in fact we always get people coming up to us saying "you guys kick arse, you make so much noise"

all you have to do is ask, and im sure well answer anything

northey

First Grade
You'll all be made aware of it when we get our paperwork back. There's a bit of legwork to do before I can really inform anyone of anything solid.

ahh you make it sound so serious lol

astrogirl

First Grade
Samwise said:
All the forum needs is a) don't be a tosser to new members. be welcoming and encourage their input, b) everyone chill out a bit. There are a few members on here that can't take a joke (and if you have no sense of humour people really aren't going to want to interact with you too often), and c) as tony said, start more threads and contribute more. Post whore it up people.
And I agree with northey - everyone is allowed to have their faves - who cares if others think they aren't good players.

Everyone has different ways of deciding who their faves are.

Latest posts