What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our New Fullback

Johns Magic

Referee
Oh and I'm sure Benji will appreciate having some genuine pace out wide to work with. Grant may be the fastest player in the NRL.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Wrong, it's because he's 22. One or two more years in union and he would've been very unlucky not to grab a Super starting wing position.

I think he will surprise you guys next year...he could be your first-choice winger if he can learn the game. Outstanding finisher, and 195cm tall. I wouldn't be surprised to see him grab the fullback spot either, given your(apparent? Tedesco is too young and I'm not sure who else you have coming through) lack of options.
So they don't sign fellas that are under 23?

Bench
Wrong, it's because he's 22. One or two more years in union and he would've been very unlucky not to grab a Super starting wing position.

I think he will surprise you guys next year...he could be your first-choice winger if he can learn the game. Outstanding finisher, and 195cm tall. I wouldn't be surprised to see him grab the fullback spot either, given your(apparent? Tedesco is too young and I'm not sure who else you have coming through) lack of options.
I think you are right,and also right about Benji having some genuine speed on the wing to hit with the cut out pass,I am quite excited about this signing,a real diamond in the rough I reckon.

Johns Magic

Referee
So they don't sign fellas that are under 23?

He played for the Junior Waratahs at the start of this year, he was well in their sights.

Grant missed out on breaking into the Super sides as a teenager because he was a bit of a beanpole, who needed a couple of years to grow into his body. He has now.

He was also told to work on his defensive reads(which have been a problem for him).

He topped the tryscorers for club rugby again this year, his reputation soared, scored a great try in a nail-biting grand-final victory, and I would be very surprised if Super clubs weren't interested after his form this season.

His ability to read the defence will be the major issue for him in league, and Sheens' challenge. He has everything else that can't be coached.

Honestly, I don't care whether or not you guys want to write him off as a dud or not...I'm just trying to give you a bit of background on him. I think he may surprise you.

Tiger Crazy

Juniors
I think the two logical conclusions to our fullback dilemna are Beau Ryan or Mitch Brown Grant will be at least 12 rounds away

He played for the Junior Waratahs at the start of this year, he was well in their sights.

Grant missed out on breaking into the Super sides as a teenager because he was a bit of a beanpole, who needed a couple of years to grow into his body. He has now.

He was also told to work on his defensive reads(which have been a problem for him).

He topped the tryscorers for club rugby again this year, his reputation soared, scored a great try in a nail-biting grand-final victory, and I would be very surprised if Super clubs weren't interested after his form this season.

His ability to read the defence will be the major issue for him in league, and Sheens' challenge. He has everything else that can't be coached.

Honestly, I don't care whether or not you guys want to write him off as a dud or not...I'm just trying to give you a bit of background on him. I think he may surprise you.
Appreciate the input actually. Will sit back and hopefully be surprised.....but won't put my house on it.

broncos2010

Juniors
and you got the money after all the players you have released.

No real full back next year for you guys and you can bring in a star in dugan and he could do magic with benji.

You got the cap so throw it at him.

Unless the roosters beat you too the punch :crazy::crazy:

DanOz

Juniors
and you got the money after all the players you have released.

No real full back next year for you guys and you can bring in a star in dugan and he could do magic with benji.

You got the cap so throw it at him.

Unless the roosters beat you too the punch :crazy::crazy:

I doubt the money is there. Tuqiri and Blair on overs, Marshall, Lawrence, Farah, Ellis, Heighno and co - I would say we are spent.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
we don't have the cash to buy any big name players.

broncos2010, you want a brain and you need a brain.

Tiger05

First Grade

I reckon you could be right here. And the talent in union is extremely high. It is a boring game but the players now are at a really high level. If anything there is more league players going to union than the other way around. To add to that there are a lot less clubs within Australia that the available talent can get a decent paying gig with.

Time will tell but he sounds like a likely prospect.

Fordy20

Juniors
I think the two logical conclusions to our fullback dilemna are Beau Ryan or Mitch Brown Grant will be at least 12 rounds away

I expect to see Mitch Brown at fullback, with Tom Humble being our utility back. Grant to come onto the wing if two of Tuqiri, Utai and Ryan are unavailable.

macnaz

Staff member
Im not concerned that Grant may be prone to defencive mis reads.... Couldnt be any worse than Lote and Utard. Unlike utard he has speed ,height and can catch a football.

super_coach

First Grade
Cant believe the hype surrounding Grant, its not like he has played 20 test matches and is changing codes. He might turn out a gem, but really he is on a massive learning curve and his chances of seeing much top grade game time is slim at best in 2012.

Would love to be proven wrong but really cant see it happening

macnaz

Staff member
I dont believe people have a love affair for Grant, I believe people do see his talent and potential to be a future star. He pocesses many attributes that could turn him into a great player.. Speed ,size and only being young he has plenty of time to learn the game, and if he is only going to play winger theres not an aweful lot to learn. We have lacked speed out wide and Grant may be able to fill that gap. I dont know if he will be good but I really hope he is.

Johns Magic

Referee
Another Tim McGan.... haha....
Union players are generally shite

Pffft, McGann was never gonna be any good in league.

And I know for a fact that he was set to play a first-grade match before injuring himself in training during the week.

macnaz

Staff member
I expect to see Mitch Brown at fullback, with Tom Humble being our utility back. Grant to come onto the wing if two of Tuqiri, Utai and Ryan are unavailable.

Utard and WT 1st grade should never be a future scenario IMO, he was ordinary this year and I hope he isnt there again stealing oppourtunities from people like Koribete , Brown OR even Grant.

lingard

Coach
Tom Humble could be a very good option for you guys at fullback. I see him more as a five-eight, but he played very well at fullback for Wenty late this year. He`s very composed, very fast, can tackle and pass, and his kicking game is pretty good and improving. He`s also a very good goal-kicker.

Latest posts