What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our predicted lineup R1

MaryMcGregor

Juniors
As two Saints semi-final Coaches, there’s always a great respect between Wayne and I, just quietly.

#Battlewithinthebattle

getsmarty

Immortal
Kerr is definitely an option but Latimore has more experience...I don't understand why Mary didn't give Kerr a run last night ? Latimore is only signed for this year so I'd start with him and Kerr will eventually get his opportunity.

Latimore was slow and did not bend the line. Kerr is young and enthusiastic and attack and defence.[/QUOTE]

And wasn't used last night.....which probably means he is not in the running. Latimore is experienced...Kerr will get his chance...Was good in the first trial..cannot understand why Mary didn't use him last night.

As two Saints semi-final Coaches, there’s always a great respect between Wayne and I, just quietly.

#Battlewithinthebattle

I tell you what Mary, you may be correct there.
I know for a fact that Bennet has nothing but respect for blokes that should be janitors that somehow squirm thier way into a first grade coaching position and keep it for long periods of time with out the slightest success.

Dragon66

Juniors
Now that all the trials are behind us, and it's business time these are my picks for RD 1.

NRL ISP

1. Dufty 1. Marsters
2. McDonald 2. Pereira
3. Mann 3. Lomax
4. Lafai 4. Herbert
5. Nightingale 5. Garrick
6. Widdop 6. Field
7. Hunt 7. Nicholls
8. Graham 8. Allgood
9. McInnes 9. Robson
10. Vaughan 10. Latimore
11. Frizell 11. Lawrie
12. Host 12.Leilua
13. DeBelin 13. Ford

14. AhMau 14. Sironen
15. Simms 15. Kerr
16. Sele 16. Nisbit
17. Aitken 17. Clune

I still think we have a problem our outside backs, and that Mann should start. I thought Nighty played really well last night. With an once of luck he could have had three tries to his name and we would be all saying he should be the player picked first. One finger on the chalk, over the line and the ball slips loose, and a jumper grab that cost him two metres means to me he did everything right BUT score.
McDonald is still soft, but can can finish when he gets close to the line.
Lafai may be a great offloader, but he sure does not worry the defence when he runs with the ball. Plus he has to many brain explosions when a pass is not on.
Simms is better as a middle players ATM.
AhMau was the best I have ever seen him play, a barnstorming try and two classy offloads. Inconceivable!
Sele is improving.

Problems: still no discernible structure. A defensive line that is glued to the grass, and then backing back as the opposition moves the ball wide. A major flaw last season. Still there.
And, of course our biggest problem - The Coach.

I hope after six rounds we are either on fire, or McGregor bits the bullet and looks to add some youth and pace to the backline.

And if we lose four out of the first six, then McGregor has to be shown the exit door.

Now that all the trials are behind us, and it's business time these are my picks for RD 1.

NRL ISP

1. Dufty 1. Marsters
2. McDonald 2. Pereira
3. Mann 3. Lomax
4. Lafai 4. Herbert
6. Widdop 6. Field
7. Hunt 7. Nicholls
8. Graham 8. Allgood
9. McInnes 9. Robson
10. Vaughan 10. Latimore
11. Frizell 11. Lawrie
12. Host 12.Leilua
13. DeBelin 13. Ford

14. AhMau 14. Sironen
15. Simms 15. Kerr
16. Sele 16. Nisbit
17. Aitken 17. Clune

I still think we have a problem our outside backs, and that Mann should start. I thought Nighty played really well last night. With an once of luck he could have had three tries to his name and we would be all saying he should be the player picked first. One finger on the chalk, over the line and the ball slips loose, and a jumper grab that cost him two metres means to me he did everything right BUT score.
Lafai may be a great offloader, but he sure does not worry the defence when he runs with the ball. Plus he has to many brain explosions when a pass is not on.
AhMau was the best I have ever seen him play, a barnstorming try and two classy offloads. Inconceivable!
Sele is improving.

Problems: still no discernible structure. A defensive line that is glued to the grass, and then backing back as the opposition moves the ball wide. A major flaw last season. Still there.

I hope after six rounds we are either on fire, or McGregor bits the bullet and looks to add some youth and pace to the backline.

And if we lose four out of the first six, then McGregor has to be shown the exit door.

This post almost makes too much sense, especially the last sentence :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Frank Facer

First Grade
If I was selecting the team, I would pick

1 Dufty
2 McDonald
3 Lomax
4 Lafai
5 Mann
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
8 Graham
9 McInnes
10 Vaughn
11 Frizell
12 Host
13 DeBelin

14 Ahmau
15 Kerr
16 Simms
17 Leilua

Lafai would be under pressure to hold his spot. If Lafai doesn't perform, I would be looking at moving Mann to Lafai's centre position. I would also be looking at Herbert to take Lafai's spot. Matherson Johns would be considered for the wing if I moved Mann to centre. My number 17 was out of Lucky and Aitken.

slippery5

Juniors
1 DUFTY
2 McDonald /Ford
3 Mann
4 Lomax
5 Aitken/ Herbert / Periera
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
8 Big Red
9 McInnes
10 Vaughan
11 Frizell
12 Sims
13 De Belin
14 Au Mau
15 luch
16 Latimore / Robson
17 Kerr
That's my side unfortunately nowhere near MARYS LINEUP..........DONT FORGET the BRONCOS BACKLINE ,JIMMY THE JET, KAHU, MILFORD,NICKORIMA,and Others including BOYD not exactly SLOW .........WE have them in the forwards probably but the backs that's a different story ......
The Broncos backline is exactly why Mary will go with safety first. No guts No Glory.

giboz71

First Grade

NRL ISP

1. Dufty 1. Marsters
2. McDonald 2. Pereira
3. Mann 3. Lomax
4. Lafai 4. Herbert
6. Widdop 6. Field
7. Hunt 7. Nicholls
8. Graham 8. Allgood
9. McInnes 9. Robson
10. Vaughan 10. Latimore
11. Frizell 11. Lawrie
12. Host 12.Leilua
13. DeBelin 13. Ford

14. AhMau 14. Sironen
15. Simms 15. Kerr
16. Sele 16. Nisbit
17. Aitken 17. Clune

Sele is improving.

I like both those sides to start the year.

With the assumption that Lomax will come into the FG side at some stage during the year (for either Lafai or Nighy).

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

NRL ISP

1. Dufty 1. Marsters
2. McDonald 2. Pereira
3. Mann 3. Lomax
4. Lafai 4. Herbert
6. Widdop 6. Field
7. Hunt 7. Nicholls
8. Graham 8. Allgood
9. McInnes 9. Robson
10. Vaughan 10. Latimore
11. Frizell 11. Lawrie
12. Host 12.Leilua
13. DeBelin 13. Ford

14. AhMau 14. Sironen
15. Simms 15. Kerr
16. Sele 16. Nisbit
17. Aitken 17. Clune

Sele is improving.

Exactly - Nightingale's critics are deadset kidding themselves.

MacDonald and Lafai are far greater liabilities.

Despite his defensive frailties (coached into him by McGregor), Aitken remains the backline's best head down/bum up runner of the ball - and he's bloody strong too.

In a side bereft of straight runners, SGI needs him as the positives outweigh the bad.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors

NRL ISP

1. Dufty 1. Marsters
2. McDonald 2. Pereira
3. Mann 3. Lomax
4. Lafai 4. Herbert
6. Widdop 6. Field
7. Hunt 7. Nicholls
8. Graham 8. Allgood
9. McInnes 9. Robson
10. Vaughan 10. Latimore
11. Frizell 11. Lawrie
12. Host 12.Leilua
13. DeBelin 13. Ford

14. AhMau 14. Sironen
15. Simms 15. Kerr
16. Sele 16. Nisbit
17. Aitken 17. Clune

Sele is improving.

Dragons66 - You busy between March and October? I think a coaching job may be open for a famous NRL side.

possm

Coach
The Broncos backline is exactly why Mary will go with safety first. No guts No Glory.
I don't believe Mary's preferred backline is 'safety first'. There is nothing safe in selecting out of form players. Nightingale and Aitken should be replaced with Mann and Lomax in the backline. Leilua and Latimore should be replaced with Host and Kerr in the forwards.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee

NRL ISP

1. Dufty 1. Marsters
2. McDonald 2. Pereira
3. Mann 3. Lomax
4. Lafai 4. Herbert
6. Widdop 6. Field
7. Hunt 7. Nicholls
8. Graham 8. Allgood
9. McInnes 9. Robson
10. Vaughan 10. Latimore
11. Frizell 11. Lawrie
12. Host 12.Leilua
13. DeBelin 13. Ford

14. AhMau 14. Sironen
15. Simms 15. Kerr
16. Sele 16. Nisbit
17. Aitken 17. Clune

Sele is improving.

Lawrie is not an edge player and Ford is. Fix up your ISP forward pack and you may be on to something. Although I really dont see any value that Aitken could provide from the bench.

BennyV

Referee
If I was selecting the team, I would pick

1 Dufty
2 McDonald
3 Lomax
4 Lafai
5 Mann
6 Widdop
7 Hunt
8 Graham
9 McInnes
10 Vaughn
11 Frizell
12 Host
13 DeBelin

14 Ahmau
15 Kerr
16 Simms
17 Leilua

Lafai would be under pressure to hold his spot. If Lafai doesn't perform, I would be looking at moving Mann to Lafai's centre position. I would also be looking at Herbert to take Lafai's spot. Matherson Johns would be considered for the wing if I moved Mann to centre. My number 17 was out of Lucky and Aitken.
Is Johns even contracted to us?

Dragon66

Juniors
Lawrie is not an edge player and Ford is. Fix up your ISP forward pack and you may be on to something. Although I really dont see any value that Aitken could provide from the bench.

Benny, I wasn’t concerned what number Lawrie and Ford had on their back, just that I think Lawrie is going to develop into a gun middle player, and would be wasted on the bench. Ford will also be a beauty and as you said he is will be playing on the edge.

And on Aitken, what he gives is another useful interchange player, as well as been ready cover a backline injury if necessary.
That’s four players on the bench that can rotate and all add some impact.

As a centre he is competent, not much more, but his strengths are his fitness, strong defensive technique and powerful leg drive when carrying the ball forward.

And he won’t be wasted as just a possible sub for an injured backline player the way Mann was.

And until Robson develops to a level to challenge McInnesd, I’m happy for McInnes to be an 80minute player until that happens.

BennyV

Referee
Benny, I wasn’t concerned what number Lawrie and Ford had on their back, just that I think Lawrie is going to develop into a gun middle player, and would be wasted on the bench. Ford will also be a beauty and as you said he is will be playing on the edge.

And on Aitken, what he gives is another useful interchange player, as well as been ready cover a backline injury if necessary.
That’s four players on the bench that can rotate and all add some impact.

As a centre he is competent, not much more, but his strengths are his fitness, strong defensive technique and powerful leg drive when carrying the ball forward.

And he won’t be wasted as just a possible sub for an injured backline player the way Mann was.

And until Robson develops to a level to challenge McInnesd, I’m happy for McInnes to be an 80minute player until that happens.
Dude, you've named them in the positions so there'd have to be some thought behind the role they are developing in. Personally I'd go with 8. Lawrie, 11. Ford and 13. Allgood for ISP.

WE'll have to agree to disagree on Robson and Aitken. While I'd love to give Robson a full year in ISP to get his body ready for a huge workload in NRL, we dont have any other backup hookers so we actually need to fast track him. Giving McInnes a rest throughout the game is just an advantage.

And I just dont see what role Aitken will play off the bench. At best he might give Host a breather while the kid gets used to playing 80 minutes but if that's the case, there are better back row options. I'm against keeping a player on the bench purely for contingency, its detrimental to the player and to the team (need to be doing whatever we can to avoid player burnout over the year). It would be better for Aitken and the team if he dropped back and was allowed to develop more to his game from ISP.

Latest posts