What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our songs and chants are getting shorter each year

OurRedV

Juniors
IMO our song and chants have become significantly shorter this year, more so than last year and the year before.

The good ol' days of belting out a "Saaaaaiiiiinnnnnnt Geeeooooooooorrrrgggge" or a "Commmmmme Onnnnnnn Youuuuuu Saaaaaiiiiiinnnts" are somewhat behind us.

Not sure why this is, perhaps th fact that the army has ushered in a new generation...

The chants used to go so long that we couldn't breathe!

I just think that by the time we get the whole army singing, it's too late and it's all over and we've resorted back to the standard "St.George clap-clap-clap" gig.

It's a shame. Something to work on perhaps?

Thoughts?

STG-MACCA

Bench
I agree 100%, and made the same comment on the way home from the dogs game to SaintTPP.

I think sometimes I am a critic, and coming onto here and making an issue of it generally tends to cause more divide and doesn't achieve what the motivation for making the point of it is. Without making things too difficult, it is actually important that there is some structure behind the way chants are approached. Why do you think 'organised' groups seem to perform better generally with less numbers?

Often there is too many generals, and there is always the cool kids who think it's better to start their own chant (and then brag about it to their mates at school the next day) then join in with the current song.

And don't get me started on the Can you hear the ......... fans..........lol, this is one chant that needs some nasel spray so it doesn't get trotted out too early.

For me the general issue is with the starting of the next song, before the current song is finished. 80 mins is a long time, and ample for all songs to get a good hearing. If someone starts, you join in. You don't stop (lol) and you don't sit it out, because it's not your immediate friends that started it (not anyone in particular on this board).

/end rant

Have a great day :)

Doug2234

First Grade
You don't stop (lol) and you don't sit it out, because it's not your immediate friends that started it (not anyone in particular on this board).

You probably dont care about my input.. . Ok i have only been standing with the Army for a few times over the past few years but this year i have upped my involvement..

But from my point of view there seems to be factions within the Army..

If what has been discussed lately is going to work then there needs to be 100% commitment from all parties moving forward. Some sections will chant and the other half wont... WTF??? It doesnt look like an Army as one.

You can all blow up at me all you like but that just my opinion. I am not having a go at anyone in particular but thats just what i have noticed the past few games.

saints81

Juniors
How about we wave our scarves everytime we score a try?

And yes sssssaaaiinnnnttttt ggggeeeeoooorrrggggeee needs to come out more!

Cooper-Man

Bench
You probably dont care about my input.. . Ok i have only been standing with the Army for a few times over the past few years but this year i have upped my involvement..

If what has been discussed lately is going to work then there needs to be 100% commitment from all parties moving forward. Some sections will chant and the other half wont... WTF??? It doesnt look like an Army as one.

You can all blow up at me all you like but that just my opinion. I am not having a go at anyone in particular but thats just what i have noticed the past few games.

Mate, I dont know what your going on about with regards to factions. That ended years ago. There is NO ONE in the army that has a problem with anyone else. And thats the truth. What your seeing in new groups who are not used to singing and chanting just yet. They will get there though. also sometimes someone at the bottom of the hill starts a chant at the same time that someone at the top of the hill does. Its not cause we are fighting, just a miscommunication. :)

Fire up Doug and keep sitting with us. Especially at Kogarah. Come stand in the middle of the whole group and you will see how close as a group we are.

boxa777

Coach
Doug, I saw the factions first hand some years ago and there is nothing of the sort at the moment..

Just some inexperienced youngsters doing their best. Still streets ahead from the doldrums the army was in a few years ago but good chanting comes with experience.

In times like this, it's probably better to simplify things. Perfect a few killer chants and stick with that. SSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTT GGGGGGGGGEEEEEEOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEE
is the loudest and best.

An Everywhere we go at the end. Jimmy James getting his Gimme a S whenever the mood shall strike. These are the staples to compliment the general SaintGeorge clap clap.

There's too many different ones at the moment and hence every one wants to pull out their signature chant.

Keep it simple and the noise and consistency will come. But it's great seeing all the young teens with their signs and enthusiasm. Reminds me of myself a decade ago doin my best.

The army as it is now is still young. Just needs experience. Nothing to panic over. It's getting better as long as no Egos develop.

One thing I've noticed most is the long periods of time when we are totally quiet

Pete, I think it was on Sunday you scream out - "why isnt anyone chanting" or something like that

We need to be making noise ALL the time

I'd love to be able to start a chant but I'm not loud enough...maybe if i get a few beers into me :p haha

jpaciocco91

Juniors
I've been there for most of this years games and its been ok. other than that there's been heaps of chants, especially at the two season games against the dogs. i could lead a chant but no-one would listen :( also i am quiet in reality compared to here

Steel Dragon

Bench
In times like this, it's probably better to simplify things. Perfect a few killer chants and stick with that. SSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTT GGGGGGGGGEEEEEEOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEE
is the loudest and best.

If we really wanna drag it out we can try "SSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTT GGGGGGGGGEEEEEEOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEE IIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAWWAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAA DDDDDDDRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNSSS!!!"

:D

And as long as ive had a few beers, I can get rather vocal.
Shame of it is, is that I need to have a few BEFORE i get into the ground cos the VB mids are nothing to sing about!

Cooper-Man

Bench
If we really wanna drag it out we can try "SSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNTTTTTTTTT GGGGGGGGGEEEEEEOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEE IIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAWWAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAA DDDDDDDRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNSSS!!!"

:D

And as long as ive had a few beers, I can get rather vocal.
Shame of it is, is that I need to have a few BEFORE i get into the ground cos the VB mids are nothing to sing about!

Sorry steel, that would sound crap. LOL, no offence.

Doug2234

First Grade
Yeah thanks for the info Pete and Boxa... as i said im fairly new to the whole army experience and was just throwing it out there so it could be cleared up.. Thanks for that.

I must agree the Army does look a lot younger then i have seen in recent years but its good to see... I do remember the different factions some years ago (which was my basis for asking above) and I am glad you could set me straight that they are long gone...

I have noticed different sections of the army missing chants etc but as you said its miss communication - so i guess the introduction of the Supporter Group that has been discussed lately will assist in eliminating this and getting everyone on the same wave length...

And Jimmy James scared the f**k out of me on Sunday arvo with his "Give me an S".. I jumped 10 foot.

Good times ahead..FIRE UP...

P.S. And yeah ill be there Friday night... it was also good to meet you Sunday as well Pete..

Last edited:

big pat

Coach

just wait until friday night, kogarah will be rockin and a rollin, all night night long, will be time to stand proud and cheer the dragons to victory, and derail that androtop jarryd the tank engine hayne.

Yeah thanks for the info Pete and Boxa... as i said im fairly new to the whole army experience and was just throwing it out there so it could be cleared up.. Thanks for that.

I must agree the Army does look a lot younger then i have seen in recent years but its good to see... I do remember the different factions some years ago (which was my basis for asking above) and I am glad you could set me straight that they are long gone...

I have noticed different sections of the army missing chants etc but as you said its miss communication - so i guess the introduction of the Supporter Group that has been discussed lately will assist in eliminating this and getting everyone on the same wave length...

And Jimmy James scared the f**k out of me on Sunday arvo with his "Give me an S".. I jumped 10 foot.

Good times ahead..FIRE UP...

P.S. And yeah ill be there Friday night... it was also good to meet you Sunday as well Pete..

he's loud for a little fella, isnt he

My brother lifted him up for the chant at the start of the game on Sunday - imagine how loud it must have been for hi,m haha

The Major

Bench
Trust me guys, during the off season, get to a Sydney FC game, right in amongst the Cove and see how well they pull off their chants. Its only 3 or so guys who get the songs going and everyone, i mean EVERYONE sings. And they have a sh*tload more people in their vicinity then what we do. I pointed out a few months ago some observations i made whilst there. I purely went to suss out how these guys operate and it so happens a game of soccer broke out. As Boxa so well stated, its all about choreography. The right songs at the right time. Once everyone becomes accustomed to the relevant time in the game a particular chant goes up, the sooner all the pieces will begin to fall into place and get it to where we want it to be.

DaSuperHero2

"Moderator"
It was only a matter of time till this was brought up ive felt this since early last year, our chants need to go on and on and on and on , i encourage everyone to start chants but keep carrying through no need to stop after 1 rendition.

The classic example is SAIINTTT GEORRRRRGEEEEE the old days of this being belted out in bay 37 for a solid amuont of time till out throats could do no more , lets keep it going guys !!

There are a lot of new guys to the army and i will back you guys with every chant but take the time to time your chants not thrash every chant and when you start one keep it going , also just remember to back your brothers up if they start one.

Cooper-Man

Bench
f**k THE COVE.

That is what everyone on here doesnt want to become. They have rules and a frickin General and Captain who tell them what they can and cant say.

WE DONT. Give all the new faces some time and I recon we will be back to our best soon.

Stand Tall, Sing Loud and FIRE UP.