What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Packer Signs

TruSaint

Referee
I didn't think it was possible to hate Peter Dutton more.
If he and the federal immigration department were really serious about him being deported back to NZ then they should have done it as soon as he was released from gaol. Not give him the false hope of getting his life back together then f**k him off when he's happy, rehabilitated and been given the opportunity of a new contract.
This is absolutely absurd. Maybe he should focus a little more on the situation he's responsible for in Nauru rather than focus his energy on deporting rugby league players.

Another quality post.. We r on a hatrik .

Forster Dragon

Juniors
Look if he is deported well so be it.The rules are in place and someone has to make a stand.The bigger picture is that Australia and our control of our borders is far more important than a game of football.

Old Timer

Coach
It is certainly within the realm of possibility to hate Peter Dutton more
Isn't little Johnny the No 1 ticket holder.
Tell him to fix it right now or give the ticket and life membership to Malcolm.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Just thought we could help this government solve a the problem with criminals in this country of ours . If you commit a criminal act that is more serious than stealing a loaf of bread (no include that) send them back to England but only if their white.
This country has gone to shit how about we concentrate on getting the economy in shape create some jobs and give the trouble makers some jobs. That might fix the delinquent attitude of the of the lazy asses that that cause problems.
On Russell Packer he has served his time now has an opportunity to make a better life for himself and family. Other option send him back to Auckland so be can reunite with former friends to restart the cycle that got him in jail. Good thinking our dropkick leaders.
This is not a political site sorry people just venting.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Why would the government want to deport him? He has just signed a 2 year deal where he will pick up somewhere in the vicinity of 200k a year with a fair portion of that most likely going to the government's coffers as taxes. Give him the chance to break the cycle.

Juniors
Why would the government want to deport him? He has just signed a 2 year deal where he will pick up somewhere in the vicinity of 200k a year with a fair portion of that most likely going to the government's coffers as taxes. Give him the chance to break the cycle.

if ol mate from wherever did this and was not an AC would you not be asking for deportation? i would and i am devastated as a dragons supporter that this has arisen. however, i agree with this policy and whatever happens....

BrissyRedV

Bench
if ol mate from wherever did this and was not an AC would you not be asking for deportation? i would and i am devastated as a dragons supporter that this has arisen. however, i agree with this policy and whatever happens....

Can't say I would really care or be asking for it.

BrissyRedV

Bench
but enough to put your thoughts to script. maybe start the st george party keep packer policy

Mate, all I am suggesting is that he will be actually contributing positively to society unlike some who leave prison and sponge off it. If he gets deported I won't be slitting my wrists.

As for him being able to play first grade again, they let worse grubs than him return to the game so why can't we for once benefit from it? At least he has shown signs of improvement and the potential to break cycle with his family up bringing.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
I hazard a guess we signed packer fairly cheaply. So we need to get the best immigration solicitors and try to drag the matter out for as long as possible in court. That way we may at least get a season out of him.
BTW, I agree with the policy.

The Nick

Bench
I hazard a guess we signed packer fairly cheaply. So we need to get the best immigration solicitors and try to drag the matter out for as long as possible in court. That way we may at least get a season out of him.
BTW, I agree with the policy.

Unfortunately if they move to deport him, as per our appalling human rights standards he will be detained indefinitely while his appeal goes ahead. There are already some New Zealanders in this boat.

Also any money the club pays towards his legal bills will automatically come under the cap. This precedent was set when Melbourne paid $100k for Greg Inglis' legal defence.

Last edited:

The Nick

Bench
A low point. I lost the love some time ago, but now I think I actually dislike this club.

I feel the same way about a Government that gives one man the power to pick and choose who comes and who goes based purely on his own assessment of their "character".

Godz Illa

Coach
I feel the same way about a Government that gives one man the power to pick and choose who comes and who goes based purely on his own assessment of their "character".

Agree with that completely. Arguing over a football team is quite silly, by comparison

Cagey Mac

Bench
Legal isn't the right way at this point
Writing to local members in large numbers given the marginal seats involved may be better option

possm

Coach
A clever CEO would be seeking an immediate indication from the Minister’s Office with the aim to gain first-hand knowledge of the Government’s action with regards to the deportation of Packer. In my opinion Packer has made all the right moves since his conviction and now deserves his chance to make his way in life without further punishment. However, if the Government is set on not cutting Packer any slack and using this case as a high profile example, it is time to do a deal with the Warriors - Packer for Hurrell.

If a Packer for Hurrell deal goes ahead, it would leave the Dragons squad down one good prop again and so we will need to be on the hunt for a quality prop to replace Packer.

Mr Dutton is my local member and so I will take the time next week to visit his office and make known my feelings on this matter. I will be letting them know that I support the policy of deportation of any foreign national who commits a serious crime in Australia however, I will also let them know that in such a case deportation should be immediately after conviction.

In the case of Paker, the NSW Government has jailed him for his crime, and paroled him based on good behavior / participation in a rehabilitation program. This situation was made very public and there for the Department of Immigration to see. In my opinion, the time for deportation action should have been at the time Packer was released from jail. Since that time the NSW Government and the Dragons have spent time and money preparing and implementing a rehabilitation program for Packer. This program has been managed well and as of today, it seems Packer is now on the right track to rehabilitation.

I’d say, if deportation is decided, then the Dragons should be given Federal Government compensation for costs associated with Packer's rehabilitation activities.

Before a deportation order is made, consideration should be given to the folliwing:
Packer has shown remorse.
Packer has accepted his punishment.
Packer was released early from jail through his good behavior.
Packer has willingly been involved in a rehabilitation program.
Packer has demonstrated excellent behavior since being released from jail.
Packer has long term employment and continuing involvement in a rehabilitation program.

Just for the record I support our new border controls and the determination of our Government to be selective as to who comes to the country. I support the Government’s determination to rid us of foreign criminals. The result of less vigilance is there for all to see – un-vetted, uninvited people who bring to this land ancient customs which breach our laws, steet crime, gang activity and generally, un-acceptable behavior.

Last edited:

grouch

First Grade
Legal isn't the right way at this point
Writing to local members in large numbers given the marginal seats involved may be better option
What about the seats that ANZ and Allianz sit in?

Please. There are much more important issues to write to your federal member about than whether a thug gets to take the field in your area 4 times a year. You're wasting democracy.

shiznit

Coach
A clever CEO would be seeking an immediate indication from the Minister’s Office with the aim to gain first-hand knowledge of the Government’s action with regards to the deportation of Packer. In my opinion Packer has made all the right moves since his conviction and now deserves his chance to make his way in life without further punishment. However, if the Government is set on not cutting Packer any slack and using this case as a high profile example, it is time to do a deal with the Warriors - Packer for Hurrell.

If a Packer for Hurrell deal goes ahead, it would leave the Dragons squad down one good prop again and so we will need to be on the hunt for a quality prop to replace Packer.

Mr Dutton is my local member and so I will take the time next week to visit his office and make known my feelings on this matter. I will be letting them know that I support the policy of deportation of any foreign national who commits a serious crime in Australia however, I will also let them know that in such a case deportation should be immediately after conviction.

In the case of Paker, the NSW Government has jailed him for his crime, and paroled him based on good behavior / participation in a rehabilitation program. This situation was made very public and there for the Department of Immigration to see. In my opinion, the time for deportation action should have been at the time Packer was released from jail. Since that time the NSW Government and the Dragons have spent time and money preparing and implementing a rehabilitation program for Packer. This program has been managed well and as of today, it seems Packer is now on the right track to rehabilitation.

I’d say, if deportation is decided, then the Dragons should be given Federal Government compensation for costs associated with Packer's rehabilitation activities.

Before a deportation order is made, consideration should be given to the folliwing:
Packer has shown remorse.
Packer has accepted his punishment.
Packer was released early from jail through his good behavior.
Packer has willingly been involved in a rehabilitation program.
Packer has demonstrated excellent behavior since being released from jail.
Packer has long term employment and continuing involvement in a rehabilitation program.

Just for the record I support our new border controls and the determination of our Government to be selective as to who comes to the country. I support the Government’s determination to rid us of foreign criminals. The result of less vigilance is there for all to see – un-vetted, uninvited people who bring to this land ancient customs which breach our laws, steet crime, gang activity and generally, un-acceptable behavior.

The Warriors were happy to be rid of Packer... He was a divisive influence in the locker room.

If the Warriors truly wanted Packer they would just wait for him to be deported.

Latest posts