What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Packer to be deported

BigH

Juniors
Some sites are saying packer is going to be deported, any news on this from our insiders here

thestevo888

Juniors
From SMH - sorry guys, still can't post links.

St George Illawarra prop Russell Packer is expected to attend training on Friday amid reports that he faces deportation over the assault charge for which he was released from jail earlier this year.
Packer, who this week graduated from Wollongong Tafe with a Certificate IV in Community Services, is still awaiting a decision on his future after Federal Immigration Minister Peter Dutton recently said the New Zealand prop could have his Australian visa cancelled.

It was reported on Thursday night by 2UE sports broadcaster John Gibbs that Packer was set to be deported under new immigration laws after being sentenced to jail in 2014 for assaulting a man outside a Sydney hotel and would not be able to fulfil his two year contract with the Dragons.

However, Packer's legal advisors have told St George Illawarra officials that no decision has yet been made and he would be at training on Friday with team-mates, who have now returned from their off-season break.
Packer was unable to play for the Dragons this year after the NRL refused to register his contract and spent the season playing with Illawarra Cutters in the NSW Cup while studying for his Community Services certificate.
The Kiwi International also worked as a mentor for the 'Score Dragons' program, which was named NRL Community Program of the Year and was named the Cutters player of the year.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...on-ruling-20151113-gkxxrq.html?skin=text-only

Last edited by a moderator:

hardbaby

Coach
I really hope not. Finally sign a beast and he gets deported. I guess it's karma. I have been pushing the mongrel agenda for years.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Excuse my ignorance, but does this effectively mean that he can no longer live in Australia and/or visit Australia for work? Maybe we can set him up in NZ and fly him over for game day! LOL.

Seriously, if this is the case, then his career is effectively over. What's he going to do? Play for the Warriors only when they have home games?

The Nick

Bench
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...586724945?sv=d2d7c9dd34a2f5af1a9b3c581d3a901c

Have a read and judge for yourself. The question needs to be asked why did the minister single out Russell Packer? I'm of the opinion Packer may be a scapegoat due to his NRL status and someone likes to be the centre of attention.

I'm assuming because he was responding to a question about Packer?

There is an elephant in the room that everyone seems willing to ignore - the vast majority, if not all of the people being detained and deported on "character grounds" have been of Polynesian descent. Including the war hero.

There was never any talk of George Burgess being deported when he ripped out a street sign in Cairns and put it through some innocent person's windscreen.

Funny that.

Straight Shooter

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...586724945?sv=d2d7c9dd34a2f5af1a9b3c581d3a901c

Have a read and judge for yourself. The question needs to be asked why did the minister single out Russell Packer? I'm of the opinion Packer may be a scapegoat due to his NRL status and someone likes to be the centre of attention.

Packer is no different to Abbot's "stop the boats" campaign. Instead of spending time and money tackling the real issue just take the cheapest and most visible option to appear as if you're doing something without it costing a bucketload.

The Nick

Bench
Packer is no different to Abbot's "stop the boats" campaign. Instead of spending time and money tackling the real issue just take the cheapest and most visible option to appear as if you're doing something without it costing a bucketload.

Politics in a nutshell.

bottle

Coach
I'm assuming because he was responding to a question about Packer?

There is an elephant in the room that everyone seems willing to ignore - the vast majority, if not all of the people being detained and deported on "character grounds" have been of Polynesian descent. Including the war hero.

There was never any talk of George Burgess being deported when he ripped out a street sign in Cairns and put it through some innocent person's windscreen.

Funny that.

Straight Shooter

He didn't spend a year in gaol Nick, that's the rider.
Don't misunderstand, I'm a huge proponent of Packer joining us. However if the rules apply, they need to be applied.
However I thought this issue had been averted by the fact that Packer's detention turned out to be just under the 12 month limit that saw this thing come into play. So now I'm unsure as to what the outcome may be.

The Nick

Bench
He didn't spend a year in gaol Nick, that's the rider.
Don't misunderstand, I'm a huge proponent of Packer joining us. However if the rules apply, they need to be applied.
However I thought this issue had been averted by the fact that Packer's detention turned out to be just under the 12 month limit that saw this thing come into play. So now I'm unsure as to what the outcome may be.

Well if that's the "rider" then why has Former Lance Corporal Ngati Kanohi Te Eke Haapu been detained and waiting to be deported, considering he's been charged with no crime and has served zero time (apart from his current unlawful detention)?

If you choose to buy the lines this Government is selling you then that makes me feel sad for you. It's clear that the minister has very flexible criteria when applying his "character test".

Last edited:

Latest posts