What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Packer to be deported

bottle

Coach
Well if that's the "rider" then why has Former Lance Corporal Ngati Kanohi Te Eke Haapu been detained and waiting to be detained, considering he's been charged with no crime and has served zero time?

If you choose to buy the lines this Government is selling you then that makes me feel sad for you. It's clear that the minister has very flexible criteria when applying his "character test".

What lines? Why the condescension? I don't need your sympathy f**kstick.
I know f**k all about Lance Corporal whoever. You asked about Burgess, all I'm doing is answering that in reference to the legislative changes that pertain to Packer's situation. Packer may be at risk because of legislative changes that call for mandatory deportation of those who have served more than 12 months in gaol (which is why I questioned if he had). Burgess isn't. Simple
Get off your high horse and maybe make an attempt at having a civil conversation for a change.

Juniors
I know f**k all about Lance Corporal whoever. You asked about Burgess, all I'm doing is answering that in reference to the legislative changes that pertain to Packer's situation. Packer may be at risk because of legislative changes that call for mandatory deportation of those who have served more than 12 months in gaol (which is why I questioned if he had). Burgess isn't. Simple
Get off your high horse and maybe make an attempt at having a civil conversation for a change.

probably for the same reason alex vella is in malta

getsmarty

Immortal
Joel Thompson throws support behind Russell Packer ahead of possible deportation

origin:video_integrator.VkYjFyeDowMDbqvk37yWXSOlsk4zZmJA

NSW Origin prospect Joel Thompson has openly thrown his support behind St George Illawarra teammate Russell Packer amid rumours the former New Zealand international is facing deportation.
Thompson has formed a close friendship with Packer and is confident the 112kg prop isn’t going anywhere.
“As a friend and as a player, I know what he does off the field and know what type of person that he is and it’d be a massive shame to see him go,” Thompson said.
“I haven’t really thought about it because I only heard about it today and I wasn’t really on the social media, but it would be a massive loss.
“He’s just a genuine good guy. I’m looking forward to ripping into the season with him and running out into battle with him.” Signed by the Dragons in October, Packer received a two-year prison term in 2013 after pleading guilty to assault charges. The 26-year-old was released from jail in January, linking with the Illawarra Cutters and earning a spot in the NSW Cup Team of the Year.
He was cleared by the NRL to join the Dragons and hoped his troubles were over.
But 2UE radio’s John Gibbs tweeted he had reliable information Packer would be deported.
Packer didn’t appear concerned as he sweated through the first day of pre-season training with his St George Illawarra teammates on Friday morning at WIN Stadium.
“I did a few training sessions with him in the off-season and he’s a great mentor for the young guys and was dragging a lot of them through.
“Just talking to him, he’s a great guy to have around the club. I honestly haven’t had a conversation with him about [deportation] it and it hasn’t been brought up here.” Packer’s legal advisers are believed to be investigating the matter, while the NRL is said to be leaving the possibility of deportation in the hands of the Australian government.

A spokeswoman for Immigration Minister Peter Dutton said a decision on Packer’s visa had not yet been made on Friday.
In October, Dutton said, generally, if a non-Australian citizen had broken the law — be it assault, theft or rape — they can “expect to have their visa cancelled and sent back to their country of origin”.
“We take into account considerations around Australian-born children, how long people have been here — all of that is available to weigh up against the severity of the crimes being committed.” Packer, a former Kiwi-international, played 110 matches for the Warriors before the assault conviction.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ible-deportation/story-fni3g9a3-1227607834723

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Most countries won't let you immigrate there if you have a criminal conviction. This is nothing new, and certainly not unique to a violent offence. Hell, most countries won't let you immigrate there if you have a DUI in the last 5-10 years irrespective of its severity.

Obviously the situation is slightly different between Australia and NZ as no 'visa' is required to work so deportation or rejection at the border is the only option.

If it was anyone other than a footy player, most people would support it. The guy is a convicted felon and not an Australian citizen, he has virtually no rights here and immigration can do whatever the hell they want. Same sort of stuff goes on in the english super league all the time with NZers or even Todd Carney getting rejected for visas because of their past indiscretions.

The Nick

Bench

LMAO. That escalated quickly.

The Nick

Bench
Most countries won't let you immigrate there if you have a criminal conviction. This is nothing new, and certainly not unique to a violent offence. Hell, most countries won't let you immigrate there if you have a DUI in the last 5-10 years irrespective of its severity.

Obviously the situation is slightly different between Australia and NZ as no 'visa' is required to work so deportation or rejection at the border is the only option.

If it was anyone other than a footy player, most people would support it. The guy is a convicted felon and not an Australian citizen, he has virtually no rights here and immigration can do whatever the hell they want. Same sort of stuff goes on in the english super league all the time with NZers or even Todd Carney getting rejected for visas because of their past indiscretions.

Yes I understand the political spin on "why" they are doing what they're doing, but essentially it's a quick popularity grab that will eventuate into nothing in the long run. My issue is with the fact a certain demographic seems to fail the "character test" more than others. And it would be the first time this country has trotted out such a "policy".

I'm assuming because he was responding to a question about Packer?

There is an elephant in the room that everyone seems willing to ignore - the vast majority, if not all of the people being detained and deported on "character grounds" have been of Polynesian descent. Including the war hero.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Yes I understand the political spin on "why" they are doing what they're doing, but essentially it's a quick popularity grab that will eventuate into nothing in the long run. My issue is with the fact a certain demographic seems to fail the "character test" more than others. And it would be the first time this country has trotted out such a "policy".

"Political spin" that happens on a daily basis, in every country in the world. As for playing the 'race card', NZers are the only ones who don't require a visa to work in Australia. Every other immigrant requires a full criminal check before they are allowed in the country, any blemish will virtually guarantee you won't be permitted in the country.

Last edited:

Phil9496

Juniors
This Kiwi physically assaulted another person. Knocking them to the ground and continuing to punch this person in the head repeatedly and then supposedly stomped on said persons head twice. If it was you or your relative or friend you would be crying blue murder. One answer, send him back.

Como Connection

First Grade
I will hate the bloody right wing government and media even more if this happens.
The born to rule dickheads !
FACT

if true just consistant
bullshit 2217 no way is this consistent I'll give you a name Abdul nacer benbrika this fine upstanding gentleman born in Algeria lives in Australia and has incited Muslims to attack westerners and has been found guilty of said crime but when he tried to go to Syria and fight with Islamic state was stopped at the airport and told he couldn't go!but a guy from New Zealand makes a mistake and paid for his crime and has clearly turned his life around is threatened with deportation nah mate sorry no consistency at all! oh and remember man monis?

rainman44

Bench
bullshit 2217 no way is this consistent I'll give you a name Abdul nacer benbrika this fine upstanding gentleman born in Algeria lives in Australia and has incited Muslims to attack westerners and has been found guilty of said crime but when he tried to go to Syria and fight with Islamic state was stopped at the airport and told he couldn't go!but a guy from New Zealand makes a mistake and paid for his crime and has clearly turned his life around is threatened with deportation nah mate sorry no consistency at all! oh and remember man monis?

Send that to the right people mate. 100% BULLSHIT whats happening to Packer.

I don't think we should be comparing this to man monis. I know we are all passionate supporters but I think that's a bit disrespectful.
Just my opinion.
not comparing it to man monis so your accusation of disrepect is misguided all I'm saying is people who aren't born here but commit worse crimes and are allowed to stay! That's all

Juniors
not comparing it to man monis so your accusation of disrepect is misguided all I'm saying is people who aren't born here but commit worse crimes and are allowed to stay! That's all

well you were comparing. not sure on all facts the terrorist fella ya mentioned is he still in gaol and isnt he an australian citizen?? i apologise if im wrong.

Wizardman

First Grade
I'm assuming because he was responding to a question about Packer?

There is an elephant in the room that everyone seems willing to ignore - the vast majority, if not all of the people being detained and deported on "character grounds" have been of Polynesian descent. Including the war hero.

There was never any talk of George Burgess being deported when he ripped out a street sign in Cairns and put it through some innocent person's windscreen.

Funny that.

Straight Shooter

Hey dickhead, Burgess was being an idiot while Packer was not far away from killing someone.....big difference.

Wizardman

First Grade
This Kiwi physically assaulted another person. Knocking them to the ground and continuing to punch this person in the head repeatedly and then supposedly stomped on said persons head twice. If it was you or your relative or friend you would be crying blue murder. One answer, send him back.

Bingo....by luck, Packer did not murder the guy. He has forfeitted his rights here.

Latest posts