What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Packer to be deported

Old Timer

Coach
The encouraging thing about RP's position is that the majority of the Kiwi's to be deported are actually already in custody or detention.
If his position was dire and / or imminenet surely they would have picked him up and detained him by now ?
Not so sure if any of the good things being said on the forum about RP wil have any positive effect on the outcome however any sledging of the government or minister would surely not be a benefit.

KiamaSaint

Coach
so what's plan b?

Don't worry, we have it covered...

planb-465x200.jpg

Emu01

Juniors
Nearly 3000 people have signed.Well done Dragons fans let's keep the pressure on the government and try to get 5000.

Como Connection

First Grade
Just signed it stating as a Labor voter I have been very impressed with the new direction the government has now taken, pointing out He has done his time in jail has been a model citizen since and deserves a second chance and that I would be very disappointed if he were deported,, only about 2700 have signed the petition, need to pick that number up.

grouch

First Grade
LMAO. That escalated quickly.

bottle gets very very prissy, precious and aggressive when challenged. Not unlike Russell Packer during a late night puff at Martin Place I suspect...

I completely disagree with this deportation scheme. I hope the Russell Packer situation actually enlightens some people to the absurdity of it, and to the cruelty and pettiness of this government. That might do some good. There are many people with far less hideous crimes under their belt than Packer, with far worse futures ahead of them if deported.

That said, I still detest the fact that Packer will be representing us

DragonsBlood

Juniors
Interesting perspective from Steve Mascord - because one of his mates got assaulted in a completely unrelated incident in a completely different country he argues that Packer should be deported./QUOTE]

Steve Mascord is a TOOL. Worst Journo in the business and that includes Dill RotField and Danny "The Scoop" Wiedler. Mascord also has the worst hair do :)

grouch

First Grade
Interesting perspective from Steve Mascord - because one of his mates got assaulted in a completely unrelated incident in a completely different country he argues that Packer should be deported.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...omparison-to-gary-carter-20151117-gl0ppv.html

Tell me where does Mascord say Packer should be deported? I think the article offers a clever perspective on the victim side of this kind of crime, while also aiming some traffic at a worthy cause.

ps Mascord is hands-down the best League journalist

The Nick

Bench
Tell me where does Mascord say Packer should be deported? I think the article offers a clever perspective on the victim side of this kind of crime, while also aiming some traffic at a worthy cause.

ps Mascord is hands-down the best League journalist

Hi Steve.

A clever perspective? He highlights the plight of a victim of a completely unrelated crime. Said victim happens to be his mate. Linking these incidents is a stretch.

I'm still struggling to find the relevance. He's telling half a story about an incident that happened to his mate on the other side of the world.

ps thoroughly disagree. Andrew Webster has my vote. Rebecca Wilson hands down the worst.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I think Mascord’s article illustrates the value of social media. It mitigates the ability of journalists like Steve Mascord and shock jocks like Ray Hadley to influence outcomes to suit their own agendas.

I think Mascord’s journalism is okay Grouch and would rate him with the better half of the current field without being outstanding. Certainly he’s energetic.

Packer certainly deserved a kick in the arse for his actions and got one. I believe that Australia is a country of immigrants and a country where many across the generations have been given a second chance. Indeed our club has prospered from giving players a second chance of late and produced excellent results for those concerned.

I would think that probationary Australian residency with strict conditions is a fitting outcome for Russell Packer.

Mascord is being both emotional and emotive and perhaps rightly so but he should really engage with Packer and look deeply into the man before attempting to topple his career and his family’s future at a time when he is teetering, albeit at his own hand. (or should I have said foot)

_Johnsy

Referee
Unfortunately it appears Mascord is pushing an agenda & it may well be based purely on emotion.

From his article "Like Flanagan, Packer attacked someone in the street. He was found guilty of knocking a 22-year-old to the ground, punching him as he lay on the ground and then stamping on his head."

This statement is not fact, far from it, yet it seems to be taken as gospel.

Here is a different perspective from an article from Paul Kent. I'll only past the relevant section, as it's a News Ltd article.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...at-an-nrl-career/story-fnp0lyn3-1227154264456

"But there is also growing evidence that the most damning allegation — that he stomped on the unconscious man’s head — did not happen. That it was an allegation made by the prosecution, and because Packer already pleaded guilty, he was unable to contest it. If so, things change a little. The belief Packer stomped a defenceless man is crucial to the outrage against his assault. Then something else happened and it changed a whole lot."

dragonreddy

Juniors
Unfortunately it appears Mascord is pushing an agenda & it may well be based purely on emotion.

From his article "Like Flanagan, Packer attacked someone in the street. He was found guilty of knocking a 22-year-old to the ground, punching him as he lay on the ground and then stamping on his head."

This statement is not fact, far from it, yet it seems to be taken as gospel.

Here is a different perspective from an article from Paul Kent. I'll only past the relevant section, as it's a News Ltd article.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...at-an-nrl-career/story-fnp0lyn3-1227154264456

"But there is also growing evidence that the most damning allegation ? that he stomped on the unconscious man?s head ? did not happen. That it was an allegation made by the prosecution, and because Packer already pleaded guilty, he was unable to contest it. If so, things change a little. The belief Packer stomped a defenceless man is crucial to the outrage against his assault. Then something else happened and it changed a whole lot."

This article contradicts yours as it says Dave Smith watched the cctv footage of Packer stomping the guys head.

www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/st-geor...being-released-from-jail-20150508-ggx9f3.html

Latest posts