What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Packer to be deported

Lethal25

Juniors
If Packer is deported then it leaves us in a pickle regarding recruitment being looked at right now (Hiku/Lafai) and also with replacing Packer.

Not a great position to be in. Can't put your best foot forward with an offer to Hiku or Lafai because you don't know what you've got with Packer or no Packer........

Decision please immigration, need to move forward.

denis preston

First Grade
I have always held the view that the time for deportation was on release from prison; not nearly a year later. Deportation now or in the future would give the impression that Packer has not complied with the conditions of his release.

Exactly. The longer this takes the more it would seem he stays. Obviously a lot of things going on behind the scene to allow the Government to save face.

62baby

Juniors
I'd feel better about having an opinion on this is someone could confirm to me that the guy he flogged is doing ok.

TruSaint

Referee
I'd feel better about having an opinion on this is someone could confirm to me that the guy he flogged is doing ok.

Mr Time suffered two fractures to the side of his face, including a broken eye socket, lacerations and severe bruising, he said.

He was left in a neck brace for two weeks.

Of course, he was hurt badly. But from all accounts he is fine.( as fine as can be ).

Thank God it wasnt worse.

62baby

Juniors
That should be the first consideration. Even from a rusted on fan who welcomes a big bopper to the front row.

TruSaint

Referee
That should be the first consideration. Even from a rusted on fan who welcomes a big bopper to the front row.

Understand.
I was against his signing initially. Until i read all the history behind his up bringing, and the events on the day. He did his time and has turned his life around. I dont excuse him for the terrible act, but he has paid a price and thank God the victim is Ok. He ( Russell ), is now giving back and in a big way. There are many manuscripts to verify this.

denis preston

First Grade
Again, the time factor is interesting. I still feel that if he was to go it already would have been done. Can you imagine that after the way Russell has worked hard at retribution and still be deported , how any one else would be able to stay. You would have to hire a plane a week to get them back !

Slippery Morris

First Grade
How long til this is finalised? Why the hell was he not deported as soon as he was released from jail? Why wait that long? It is not as if he is a repeat offender and assaulted anyone since he got out?

HayneKloppter

Juniors
this issue seems like it's tied up at the immigration office, which doesn't give a shit about the dragons or the nrl.....so you can understand why the dragons wouldn't want to tie up a contract.

maybe a month to month arrangement is best for all parties in the meantime, which would allow packer to suit up for now.

Wittenberg

Juniors
The longer it goes the bigger the chance that he won't be deported. I am not a fan of Packer playing for the Club but if they were going to do it, they have had time......mind you, it took me months to get documents processed by my council. Government and red tape, especially if politics is involved, could take forever. The best way for the Immigration Department to avoid any controversy from a decision, is not to make one......

TruSaint

Referee
this issue seems like it's tied up at the immigration office, which doesn't give a shit about the dragons or the nrl.....so you can understand why the dragons wouldn't want to tie up a contract.

maybe a month to month arrangement is best for all parties in the meantime, which would allow packer to suit up for now.

Agree and disagree Hayne.

Your first paragraph is spot on.

Month to month is a disaster waiting to happen. He mental state wont be right. The Club unsure, other forwards wondering their future if he isnt deported etc etc etc.

Sooner its resolved the better for both the Club and Rus himself. This limbo shite must be doing his his brain in.

The Nick

Bench

Or a clause that renders his contract void should he be deported would be a much more practical and likely scenario...

And regardless what you think, the immigration department and government in general does care very much about its public image, hence why Packer isn't being detained indefinitely like his fellow countrymen in the same boat.

TruSaint

Referee
Or a clause that renders his contract void should he be deported would be a much more practical and likely scenario...

And regardless what you think, the immigration department and government in general does care very much about its public image, hence why Packer isn't being detained indefinitely like his fellow countrymen in the same boat.

Nick, not here to debate the benefits and pitfalls of a public sector, but surely after due course, a sentence, a rehab program, and so much more, an answer should be forthcoming ?

If the lad is to be deported, then upon his release, he should have been.

saints4ever

First Grade
Is this even in the hands of immigration yet? It was being sorted by his lawyers but hadn't been officially handed in

grandorient

Bench
Agree Trusaint, should have been completed on his release, or very shortly after.

I sincerely believe this would have been a non event, until that dickhead Hadley opened his gob.

GO

TruSaint

Referee
Agree Trusaint, should have been completed on his release, or very shortly after.

I sincerely believe this would have been a non event, until that dickhead Hadley opened his gob.

GO

Never liked what he did GO... you know that.. but if he is to be deported after serving time, then let it be. Albeit, I think he has shown enough to mould back into society and give back.

The bloke f...d up big time. Bad judgement, call it what u will. He is now a great mentor. Has shown remorse, and has a family to deal with ( as does his victim btw ), but for Gods sake, make a call on this matter.

Latest posts