What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers $1 million war chest

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
I don't think Penny are a team that can afford to do that. It will inevitably result in them having to lose juniors, simply because they produce so many quality ones.

Stranger

Coach
scottyj said:
Mullo is a mummas boy and always will be..he will stay at Knights

Funnily enough you are exactly correct. He is a massive mummies boy. Just wait for JD to see this.

choc_soldier

Coach
Apparently we were going to go nuts last year in the market too, and nothing happened. A few of those players would be very welcome at Penrith though.

mxlegend99

Referee
choc_soldier said:
Apparently we were going to go nuts last year in the market too, and nothing happened. A few of those players would be very welcome at Penrith though.
Yeah, but Elliott has been far more productive in his time at Panthers already. He will sign the best players he can.

He has sh*tloads of money, great juniors and a solid current team to work with. How he spends that money will be interesting. I'd say he will target a prop first.

Azkatro

First Grade
Stranger said:
Priddis wasn't setting the world on fire in 2001, and lang never set the world on fire.

Hardly a spending spree signing those 4 including roarty and howland. Wouldn't have been too expensive.
Are you crazy? Priddis won a premiership with Brisbane in 2000, and Bennett has said a big reason why they went so poorly (by comparison) in years to follow was because they let Priddis go and couldn't replace him. Clive Churchill medal winner in the grand final, no less ... set two tries up and scored himself!

And anyone who thinks Martin Lang wasn't a cornerstone in their forward pack all year in 2003 is barking mad.

u mean other teams actually rate Bronson damn and i thought it was just us tigers fans

oh well i doubt penrith will ever get him since hes a tiger through and through

kooriguy

Juniors
would love to see us aquire o'meley, o'donnel for the most formidable pack in the league but also keep clinton and if rooney leaves, tame tupou?

C.P

Juniors
I think O'Meley or O'Donnell would be the most likely acquisitions. Cant see any of the Broncos crowd moving to Penrith.

On another note where has Penrith found all this money???? In 2005 they got rid of Ben Ross because of salary cap restrictions, they couldnt afford to go into the market and get a top line player last year, they had to pay a more money to re-sign and hang on to Frank Pritchard last year. So where does the money now come from to buy a number of a big money players?

melon....

Coach
I dont get it. They have the biggest junior ranks in the world and want to buy a Premiership...thats my team's job!.

Caged Panther

First Grade
C.P said:
I think O'Meley or O'Donnell would be the most likely acquisitions. Cant see any of the Broncos crowd moving to Penrith.

On another note where has Penrith found all this money???? In 2005 they got rid of Ben Ross because of salary cap restrictions, they couldnt afford to go into the market and get a top line player last year, they had to pay a more money to re-sign and hang on to Frank Pritchard last year. So where does the money now come from to buy a number of a big money players?

The simple answer to your question is that after we won the premiership in 2003 alot of juniors that were on very small contracts got upgrades, some of which included massive bonuses for players making representative sides.

This put us in the serious do do that saw us release players like Ross and Gualavo, in addition to releasing them we've lost Sattler, Preston Campbell, Whatuira, Swain, Lang and Girdler while had various other players pass through our ranks on various short term contracts (Franze, Hookey, Stapelton etc etc). Add to that the fact that most of the aforementioned big fact contract upgrades with big fat rep bonuses have expired and that's were the $1million is coming from.

C.P

Juniors
Forgot completely about Swain, Lang and Preston #-o I knew there had to be some savings somehwere. Thats $450K between those 3 right there. More than enough to spend up.

mxlegend99

Referee
melon.... said:
I dont get it. They have the biggest junior ranks in the world and want to buy a Premiership...thats my team's job!.
Buying 2 or 3 players is now buying a premiership? The majority of our team will remain Panthers juniors.

We aren't going to be replacing our team. We're adding to it.

Balmain_Boy

What terms did Whatuira leave the club on? Panthers could do a lot worse in the centre stakes. Hopefully we keep him though and this will be moot.

Balmain_Boy said:
What terms did Whatuira leave the club on? Panthers could do a lot worse in the centre stakes. Hopefully we keep him though and this will be moot.
Amicable I'm sure. Penrith couldn't afford to keep him and Wests offer was a good one.

Unfortunately he was replaced by Franze #-o

Phillips

Referee
mxlegend99 said:
Where would we put him?

5/8 - Wallace/Firman
HB - Gower/Trindall
Hooker - Priddis/Aiton

We don't have room for him. He would have been ok for 5/8 this year, but Wallace and Firman have it covered now.

whats doing with trindall? isnt he serving a suspension or something..

fobsta

Juniors
Potential Panthers 2008 lineup

1. Rhys Wesser
2. Michael Jennings
3. Luke Lewis
4. Brent Tate
5. Luke Rooney
6. Brett Firman
7. Craig Gower
8. Mark O'Meley
9. Luke Priddis