What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers game talk

I agree BBC, our forwards are not going forward but what happened to the days of centres hitting the ball at speed. Cooper and Morris were almost telepathic together and Kyle is really not creating much for Nightingale. I just think we need to try something different to spark some attack out wide.

Robbie 12

Juniors
Shit we gonna be without four forward next week against the rabbits,

Beau Scott, Ben Creagh, Trent Merrin, and now michael Weyman (injury) mmmmm basketball score. Were gonna get smashed

gypsy

Bench
Creagh was very strong tonight. Marketo and Vea impressed me and showed some good signs.
The rest....very poor. Can't remember a more inept performance. Fien was awful in the halves.

blacklock

Juniors
i think the real issue in our team has been that we are playing with a roster containing some players which have gone a few seasons too long. theyre running on old legs whilst other teams are bringing in fresh blood.

reminds me of how the titans initially had a roster full of "experienced" players.

eventually we need to ditch the old and bring in the new. our ball playing has zero dynamics if our ball players are running at the line then crumpling infront of tacklers.

oh and...seeing what jeremy smith did against melb, i had to curse out loud that we lost him. that dude is tough. his try in that game was similar to the one against the tigers where he forced down the ball when any other player would have been denied. meanwhile the guys we got have gotten the 2004 dragon dropsies. grrr

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I must say for all the hype about him i am yet to see anything that fills me with hope.Sure he may be playing out of position(why wasn't he used at 5/8 tonight) but still all he has shown me is that he can tackle & kick goals,besides that he aint up to the mark atm imo.

Why didn't Hornby give Kyle the shot at field goal? Kyle has not been given much clean ball since he was put at right centre.

Hornby, Fein and Young are past it and the rest of the team are not playing to their strengths. Price is to blame and the expriment of trying to play a more fancy attacking football is a failure. Go back to the Bennett formula and save the fancy stuff until the team has players that are more suited that style of play.

gypsy

Bench
What fancy stuff are you talking about?
We were as far from creative as you'll ever see tonight.

dragoncountry

Juniors
i thought young tried hard all night, i would love to have marketo in there somewhere week in week out, utility off the bench.
i was concerned with price's comment about still working on there attack. ffs you have been training since november, how long should it take with a premiership team?
get browny back, least he knows how to attack.

RedVDave

First Grade
Creagh was very strong tonight. Marketo and Vea impressed me and showed some good signs.
The rest....very poor. Can't remember a more inept performance. Fien was awful in the halves.

I to was very impressed with Vea & Marketo, the biggest positives of last night, I can't work out for the life of me why Stanley was not given the 5/8 position that is his best position. Fiens kicking game inparticular last night was absolutley pitiful, all he did was bomb to the corner and hope for the best, Fien's best position is definetley hooker no doubt in my mind.

possm

Coach
What fancy stuff are you talking about?
We were as far from creative as you'll ever see tonight.

Exactly, no attack. The current squad are not suited to flair and fancy stuff. Sure from time to time they may cut loose if the opposition are off their game but as a rule they are defenders and should go back to what they are best suited to. Once the opposition are frustrated and tired, they can try a few things and open up some scoring opportunities.

I agree that Young, Hornby and Fein tried their very hard. They always do but their time in the sun has passed and now they are just making up the numbers. They should follow Gaz's leed and retire for the good of team/club. Free up as much cap to buy a spine that can be the anchor we need. Make the arrangements for next year now before we miss the opportunities for next year.

You know we could of got Carney reletively cheap. He and Soward that combination along with Moz and Rein/King would be competitive at least.

Instead what did we buy? A bunch of fowards who are ordinary at best and half of which have been on the injury list or not up to standard for most of the season so far. And the same goes for the backs we recruited; Kemp, Chase Stanley yet to make the grade due to injury or bad form and Kyle Stanley and Vidot yet to stamp their mark on a single first grade game this year. It is clear Kyle is not an eighty minute centre; he may be suited in the halves but we don't really know that as yet because he has had no time to show his stuff at 6 or 7. And Vidot is a strong runner when struggling with 3 or 4 defenders on his back but his position play, taking of the high ball or any kick for that matter his very poor. In fact his defence and line breaking ability have been below first grade standard as well.

In my opinion we should do the following:
Hire a decent recruiter who can do similar to what Cronulla did for this year.
Replace Doust with a more astute CEO.
Go after the best available who can play top level football in th following positions:
Fullback - Moz back to the wing, Beale to right centre.
Half 5/8 - Pearce looks to be the only option available for next year.
An aggressive and capable prop foward.
An aggresive and capable back rower to replace Scott.

Lose the following players through retirement or release when their contract is up or before hand if possible:
Hornby
Fein
Young is already retiring
Prior
Miller
Vea
Ah Mau
Emmett
Gower
Kemp
Mathews
Scott is already leaving
Vidot

Bring on some local youngsters and aggresively recruit the best on the market to fill the positions we are weak in. Send any out of form first graders to the Cutters until they are fit to play in first grade.

gypsy

Bench
Would you say it's time to panic Possm?

That is what we call a massive overreaction. It was good enough ANZAC day... :cool:

dougieswim

Juniors
I must say for all the hype about him i am yet to see anything that fills me with hope.Sure he may be playing out of position(why wasn't he used at 5/8 tonight) but still all he has shown me is that he can tackle & kick goals,besides that he aint up to the mark atm imo.
I have to agree. For all the talk about him being the next 5/8 - half, why not play him there tonight and show us this "potential". So far haven't seen anything that makes him any better then his brother who is a waste of space. But then hasn't been given much ball either cos our forwards don't go forward.

Maybe we should do a Penrith. Send Creagh and a couple of other back to NSW Cup cos the guys that filled in for Penrith did a great job tonight.

gypsy

Bench
I have to agree. For all the talk about him being the next 5/8 - half, why not play him there tonight and show us this "potential". So far haven't seen anything that makes him any better then his brother who is a waste of space. But then hasn't been given much ball either cos our forwards don't go forward.

Maybe we should do a Penrith. Send Creagh and a couple of other back to NSW Cup cos the guys that filled in for Penrith did a great job tonight.

Creagh to NSW Cup? Did you watch the game last night?
Wont be taking your posts seriously in the future.

jenninga

First Grade
Shit we gonna be without four forward next week against the rabbits,

Beau Scott, Ben Creagh, Trent Merrin, and now michael Weyman (injury) mmmmm basketball score. Were gonna get smashed
My Parra mate is licking his chops for 2 weeks time.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
We have been outplayed by some teams in the first twenty minutes of some matches...So why haven't we learnt from this yet?

jenninga

First Grade
i to was very impressed with vea & marketo, the biggest positives of last night, i can't work out for the life of me why stanley was not given the 5/8 position that is his best position. Fiens kicking game inparticular last night was absolutley pitiful, all he did was bomb to the corner and hope for the best, fien's best position is definetley hooker no doubt in my mind.
yes

Hutty1986

Immortal
Bloody Panthers knew we were giving the Predator a run last night. Covered themselves with mud pre-game so he wouldn't see them

slippery9

Juniors
ON a positive note. I enjoyed the impact that both Vea and Marketo provided off the bench. Merrin and Creagh both played out of their skins. I think the final result was largely influenced by the absence of Soward if he plays we win it's as simple as that.

Both Vea and Marketo are off contract at the end of 2012 with newcastle chasing marketo:?