What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers game talk

I still believe we have the players to make a decent run at the eight, with plenty of games down at the Gong in the second half of the comp.

But we need guys like Hornby, Soward and Young to lead the way.

Looks like we'll have to do it without Weyman though.

Louiethefly

Juniors
For all those people bagging Kyle, and then saying "I know he's playing out of position, but it shouldn't matter" are stupid. Kyle has some great utility value in he can cover 1-5 in a pinch, but he is a half. How do you think Chery Evans would have gone playing right centre for Manly last year? Rookie of the year contender?

When do you see non top-line centres create anything from nothing anyway? Cooper is a great centre and even he can't really do it without at least being given time and space to move first. Maybe Gasnier, Hodges and Inglis can do it, but its not something you can just expect from a young bloke chucked into the centres after training at fullback all pre-season.

He hasn't been playing well at centre, but you can hardly blame him for any of the losses so far this season. Kyle won't win you a game at centre, but he won't lose you one either. I think we should start looking at which players (or team effort) is losing us these games and fix that first.

TheRev

Coach
- I love Kyle's goalkicking (so relaxed), but my heart sank when he finally got space in an attacking position, and ended up letting himself get carried 15m over the touchline.
- And yes we would have won with Soward, its a big blow, but its just a cop-out excuse, there was more than enough talent in that football side to beat Penrith, but just countless lost opportunities as usual, Rein made some bad calls very late, in particular Hornby not getting the football for a field-goal in regular time when he was setup.

Father Ted

First Grade
For all those people bagging Kyle, and then saying "I know he's playing out of position, but it shouldn't matter" are stupid. Kyle has some great utility value in he can cover 1-5 in a pinch, but he is a half. How do you think Chery Evans would have gone playing right centre for Manly last year? Rookie of the year contender?

If Kyle is a half he should be playing Half for the cutters now and learning his trade. I am seeing a coach who reacts after the event and not planning for any future. If as some have said to me we got rid of Smith because he was too injury prone then why buy Chase Stanley?

Minh

First Grade
A win against Souths next week is very important for us now. We are out of form at the moment just lost a bit of momentum but it only takes a few big win to get it back.

64 Dragon

Coach
Both Vea and Marketo are off contract at the end of 2012 with newcastle chasing marketo:?

Keep and use Marketo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is an eighty minutes player, He has waited a long time for his 1st grade chance. Give him a go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Saints won it would have been a disaster. The fact that they nearly won is bad as well. After playing the way they did against the Cowboys I expected a huge improvement. Obviously they did not think they played that bad to step up as they continued to play poorly.

Fien was horrible last night and why Kyle did not get the chance to play in the halves god knows considering he is earmarked as our future 5/8 or halfback.

Time to give Denan Kemp a run on the wing. Vidot scares me when there is a loose ball in the in goal area.

Louiethefly

Juniors
If Kyle is a half he should be playing Half for the cutters now and learning his trade. I am seeing a coach who reacts after the event and not planning for any future. If as some have said to me we got rid of Smith because he was too injury prone then why buy Chase Stanley?

I agree with you 100% that he should be playing five eighth for the cutters, but if the coach keeps picking him in the centres in first grade we can't expect him to say no, plus he's a better centre than Beau Scott or Matt prior.

Stdavid

Juniors
Have to agree that it is probably good that we didn't snatch the win. Even Hornby said they didn't deserve it.
Dragons have been steadily sliding in recent weeks, even in the Anzac Day win, to the point that we are now nearly as good as Penrith.
Hopefully, the team will accept that and put the effort in to gradually improve over the next few weeks.
It was worrying to see how disorganised we were last night, but hopefully that will convince Price that Fien should not be used in the halves. Give Kyle Stanley a go. It's not like he's 18 and had no first grade experience.
It was so disappointing to see our inability to make clean line breaks, and to give guys like Cooper some space. And I don't think I have seen Vidot a full pace yet.
Things won't get better, though, until the forwards find some consistent form.
Marketo looked good last night, I would keep him in first grade for a few weeks to see if he can build on that.
And I would like to see Bronx Goodwin given another go in first grade.

Last edited:

giboz71

First Grade
Problem is, we are absolutely clueless in attack right now. We were never that great in the Bennett era and we are worse now. We had one go to move during the Bennett years (the Boyd, Cooper, Morris sweep), and now that seems to have gone, there is nothing left. The few tries we do score usually come from a broken play or individual brilliance.
I’m at a loss to understand why we are so disjointed in attack. We have 2 of the best wingers in the comp, Vidot is no slouch either. Cooper is a former international centre and Kyle was supposed to be the next best thing. Add to that a grand final winning halves pairing (granted Soward wasn’t there last night), but there should be no excuse why we look so clueless.
The Morris move to fullback was nice, but he just doesn’t have the passing/link game at the moment. Look how Stewart, Bowen, Slater and co chime into the backline and feed their centres/wingers, much like Boyd used to do for us. Morris hasn’t really shown any ability to be a distributor which is to be expected as he is a winger after all. And there is absolutely no depth in our attack. Every time the ball reaches the centres and beyond, the defence is in our faces or we get bundled into touch.
If you watch a team like the Cowboys the last couple of weeks, their outside backs have acres of room to use their skill and evasiveness, with devastating effect. All our backs do is catch the ball, then get smashed. What the hell are we doing at training, surely we’re not practicing getting smashed are we?
Very frustrating to watch, seeing Price wanted to play a more expansive style. We have gone backwards if anything. Penrith got done 30-0 two weeks in row and we scored a grand total of 12 points. Add to this, 4 against the Bulldogs, 0 against the Sharks and 6 against the Cowboys. We are 14th in attack right now, and if we didn’t score that last try we’d be stone cold last.
I’m no statistician, but I can’t remember any team being 14th in attack come close to winning the comp.

possm

Coach
Keep and use Marketo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is an eighty minutes player, He has waited a long time for his 1st grade chance. Give him a go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, he put in a top effort and should be given his chance.

Louiethefly

Juniors
If Marketo has been playing five eighth for the Cutters, should be an easy straight swap, Style into 5/8 for the Cutters, Marketo into right back row for the Dragons, and Chase into right centre.

country_dragon

Juniors
pretty obvious who wanted to play and who did not. Bloody disgusting effort by those that know who they are - it was like watching high school football.

Bring back choc

Juniors
A win against Souths next week is very important for us now. We are out of form at the moment just lost a bit of momentum but it only takes a few big win to get it back.

I agree... But last night was even more important. Crucial actually.

I just can't see how we can beat souths. I really can't. They will be far far too strong in the forwards and I can see issac luke destroying is around the ruck. Our only hope is if Morris can score a couple of freaky tries and we get some luck with penalties.

FlameThrower

Bench

Are you saying he is out of his depth and maybe assistant coach was his sweet-spot......???

Really we are in big trouble and Price needs a massive turn-around in luck and attitude, because whatever they are doing in training is not working. Especially the 1st 20-30 minutes when teams come out all guns blazing...

fkn hell.............