What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers R21 @ the Gong

denis preston

First Grade
The whole team looked and played drunk and hungover.
it would have to be the worst I’ve seen them play this season. They invented new ways to create unforced errors.
At one point in the game I had to count if the Dragons had 13 on the field. The defence line gaps was wider than Sydney heads.
disgraceful performance. They all gave up in the first 30 minutes of the game. Looks like they were deliberately tanking it.
im concerned flanno has lost the sheds. They will NOT win another game this year.
And why is CHUNT still the captain. Who would have to be the worst defender in the team and NRL.
SACK THE MIDGET merkin NOW!!!!!
Doesn’t matter if Flanno has lost the shed because half the players in it are on borrowed time !

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
He has always been slow, even in perfect health! Slower than his brother. That’s what has held him back.
Really? Thought he looked fast in the twins SG ball highlight video, or maybe it was Mat. I think Max is definitely stronger. I know we always make comments about every player like this but I think Max actually could play second row. Big body, good ball skills, defensively pretty sound... Tackling around 94% this year. Hasn't missed a tackle in a few games. Idk food for thought

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Is it just me?

As a player I never remember disliking Joey Johns

Now Mr Chin, Cleary, being so highly elevated, why do I dislike him so much?

Perhaps when Joey firing we still had a decent competitive team?

Or perhaps I'm just a cranky old man .
I cannot get past what he did in last year's GF, I begrudgingly admire him for that, never seen one guy pull his team back from oblivion in such a major match like he did that day...something Hunt has never done in his career.

Sage63

Juniors
I cannot get past what he did in last year's GF, I begrudgingly admire him for that, never seen one guy pull his team back from oblivion in such a major match like he did that day...something Hunt has never done in his career.
Cannot understand the hate or dislike for Cleary.
I Have Nothing But respect & praise for him.
what had he has done is admirable! not a dirty bastard, unlike some so-called Immortals, just a f****** great athlete and competitor!!

denis preston

First Grade
Not to destroy the legend of his game but he most definitely contributed to two of the Broncos tries with rare ( for him ) simple missed tackles.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Not to destroy the legend of his game but he most definitely contributed to two of the Broncos tries with rare ( for him ) simple missed tackles.
All part of his glorious plan lol, make them think they have the premiership and then swipe it back from under their noses.…. I don’t remember many recent gfs but I will never forget last years.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Last week I heard a stat on NRL.com that Panthers have not won @ WIN since 2014. I thought maybe a hoodoo ground. One of the first things said on commentary of the game is that Panthers have not played @WIN stadium since 2015. Wow what a really good stat that was for any punters.

I thought sold out ground and a poor +/- will get Saints to be at least competitive. They did not have to win this just at least not concede to many and the could not do that.

It is the common theme now with this years Dragons and so predictable, that is when Saints play a form team they get belted. The players just don't aim up. They will not make the 8 purely because of the beltings. Losing is ok as Saints have won as many games as the Dolphins and 1 less that the 5th placed Dogs it is just the manner in the losses. Losing is fine but getting smashed consistently against top sides simply is not. Saints don't deserve finals. If they do they will clearly be the whipping boys at this rate. To get to 28 points will be a good result in the end but won't be enough to make finals.

Ben Hunt was putrid in his kicking game again. This is not the first or 2nd game either. I will not miss the flick passes to nobody from Lomax next season. In terms of consistent players it is Liddle, JDB and Couchman that have been good throughout the year. All the rest simply decide when to play and when not to.

Last edited:

Harry Bath

Juniors
Last week I heard a stat on NRL.com that Panthers have not won @ WIN since 2014. I thought maybe a hoodoo ground. One of the fist things said on commentary is that Panthers have not played @WIN stadium since 2015. Wow what a really good stat that was for any punters.

I thought sold out ground and a poor +/- will get Saints to be at least competitive. They did not have to win this just at least not concede to many and the could not do that.

It is the common theme now with this years Dragons and so predictable, that is when Saints play a form team they get belted. The players just don't aim up. They will not make the 8 purely because of the beltings. Losing is ok as Saints have won as many games as the Dolphins and 1 less that the 5th placed Dogs it is just the manner in the losses. Losing is fine but getting smashed consistently against top sides simply is not. Saints don't deserve finals. If they do they will clearly be the whipping boys at this rate. To get to 28 points will be a good result in the end.

Ben Hunt was putrid in his kicking game again. This is not the first or 2nd game either. I will not miss the flick passes to nobody from Lomax next season. In terms of consistent players it is Liddle, JDB and Couchman that have been good throughout the year. All the rest simply decide when to play and when not to.
Agree I would add BMM in as one that has played well this year.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Last week I heard a stat on NRL.com that Panthers have not won @ WIN since 2014. I thought maybe a hoodoo ground. One of the first things said on commentary of the game is that Panthers have not played @WIN stadium since 2015. Wow what a really good stat that was for any punters.

It is the common theme now with this years Dragons and so predictable, that is when Saints play a form team they get belted. The players just don't aim up. They will not make the 8 purely because of the beltings. Losing is ok as Saints have won as many games as the Dolphins and 1 less that the 5th placed Dogs it is just the manner in the losses. Losing is fine but getting smashed consistently against top sides simply is not. Saints don't deserve finals. If they do they will clearly be the whipping boys at this rate. To get to 28 points will be a good result in the end but won't be enough to make finals.

I was really disappointed by RFM also. Was great against Penrith during origin, but tends to shirk the big occasions from what we've seen.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
I thought Flanagan did alright. Doesn’t set the world on fire but is a solid first grader. Would be cheap for a half as well.
Yeah, in my opinion he doesn't nearly get enough ball or time with ball in hand. Like you said, by no means does he set the world on fire and isn't the most creative player but when it comes to choosing which player to pass to, he generally chooses the right option. He also has a pretty good short kicking game which we saw against Souths earlier in the year but unfortunately he doesn't get the opportunities he deserves with Hunt trying to run the show

SGMax

Juniors
I missed the first half on the weekend.
I finally decided to watch it last night...mainly to see the "on report" incidents.
What I saw made me quite angry as the Dragons were never given a chance.

Dragons up against a strong team and Penrith were heavily assisted by the ref's decisions the whole first half.
With 70% possession and most if it in attacking field position with favourable wind, we did well to not get 50 points on us in the first half.

The 3rd try (Cleary's 1st) came off a huge forward pass...at least 3 or 4m. Not a word from the commentators.
There was another not long after around our 30m line that was a couple of metres forward, again not called.
The hip drop barely made any contact with JFH's legs/ankles. He injured his groin but lets stop play and award a penalty.
Even the tackled in the air decision, there was contact but the tackle didn't start until the feet were down.
Any time a Panther was slightly uncomfortable, it was a penalty or a 6 again.

On the other hand, Hunt was terrible with his kicks and did little else .
I don't think Eisenhuth is good for the team. Tries hard but is slow and lumbering. A lock needs to be dynamic and powerful.
Luciano tried hard but looks immediately gassed...needs to lose some weight.
Noticed Lomax is mostly getting stopped dead in his tracks now with barely any PCM. Long time since he made a line break.
Some of the tries were very soft and if not under constant pressure I like to think we would have held them out.

On the positives, BMM did well off the bench. We will miss him this week.
Couchman had a good game and will also be missed.
If given a fair shake by fate and the refs, I think the storm game will be closer than most think.

Everyone is going on about the great Bulldogs game against Broncos.
In our game against the Broncos, if the refereeing hadn't changed and we were able to dominate possession again in the 2nd half, we would have also won by a big margin. As it was the Broncos had majority possession and position and were able to recover and make it close.

In the following match, I noticed the commentary was so complementary and positive of the Dolphins who were on only 2 points more than the Dragons, you would think they weren't only just above us on the ladder.
I still have hope we can surprise a few teams in the rest of this season.