What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers v Parra

chrisD

Coach
Good point, well need to run at him since their starting props are rocks in defence.

NAS off the bench is a beast but can lose his head in close games. The Storm don't have many of them so hopefully he's due.
NAS owned the f**k out of us in the GF and was the best player on the field and I just hope he goes mostly anonymous.

forby

Juniors
As they say - defence wins premierships.
Storm lost their three games this year to Parramatta and Penrith and each time it was defence that won!
I genuinely think that we can hold the Storm to less then 12 points and score enough to win!
hopefully Sutton referees better than he did in the GF.

The Realist

Juniors
I still have no idea why we didn't play Tago and a few other players who needed more game time in RnD 26.

Also knowing what we know about To'o what the heck were we thinking? Could have given a few different outside backs a go.

I wonder if we can get the Dogs to take Kikau and Luai for Burton and TPJ.......hmmmm food for thought
Burton has been one of our poorer players recently; much worse than Luai (who at least had been rock solid in defence). It is no surprise really, as it has been a long season and he is quite young, but he has really come back to the pack recently.

pantherz9103

First Grade
I’m obviously worried about our attack and the lack of fluency, the poor early kick decisions and lack of crisp passing through the backline. I’m not sure what’s the deal with the form of the likes of Luai, Cleary and Burton. I am also mentally prepared for the disappointment of possibly losing to Storm next week and missing the GF as I know need to be a lot better than we have been lately.

However I’m also a little disappointed about how little praise our defence gets, even from some of our own fans. Don’t take a Penrith team defending so well for granted. For almost as long as I can remember, Penrith teams under Griffin, Elliott, Lang, Simmons etc had mediocre or poor defensive structures and leaked 20+ points per game. Even the 2003 champions conceded 21+ points per game all season. So we should be proud of supporting a Panthers team that has had the best defence over the last 2 years. Maybe Ivan Cleary is lacking something in being able to coach an attack to go all the way but he has certainly helped with the defence.

forby

Juniors
I don’t think so!
Defend and the Storm don’t like it. We beat them without Cleary by our defence.
This time we do it with Cleary.
They should go down in history as one of the best defensive teams ever!
Hold the Storm to 12 or less and we win!

Hmm not totally sure. Going into a game written off might spark something. Ivan needs to make to massive calls though and I doubt he will
The players who played tonight can win the game next week (obviously bringing in To’o if fit). . No need to panic and change the team at this stage.

Need a great game plan. Was really impressed early when the play was to go back behind the ruck with the quick guys; really helped us to start quickly. Hopefully we can replicate that.

Smug Panther

First Grade
The players who played tonight can win the game next week (obviously bringing in To’o if fit). . No need to panic and change the team at this stage.

Need a great game plan. Was really impressed early when the play was to go back behind the ruck with the quick guys; really helped us to start quickly. Hopefully we can replicate that.
I see no reason to play Kikau. If anything I'd give him the last spot on the bench to 9nly be used if needed. He has straight up folded in every finals game

The_Frog

First Grade
I’m obviously worried about our attack and the lack of fluency, the poor early kick decisions and lack of crisp passing through the backline. I’m not sure what’s the deal with the form of the likes of Luai, Cleary and Burton. I am also mentally prepared for the disappointment of possibly losing to Storm next week and missing the GF as I know need to be a lot better than we have been lately.

However I’m also a little disappointed about how little praise our defence gets, even from some of our own fans. Don’t take a Penrith team defending so well for granted. For almost as long as I can remember, Penrith teams under Griffin, Elliott, Lang, Simmons etc had mediocre or poor defensive structures and leaked 20+ points per game. Even the 2003 champions conceded 21+ points per game all season. So we should be proud of supporting a Panthers team that has had the best defence over the last 2 years. Maybe Ivan Cleary is lacking something in being able to coach an attack to go all the way but he has certainly helped with the defence.
Warren Ryan used to say if you stop them scoring points, you don't need to score very many yourself.

chrisD

Coach
Maybe Ivan Cleary is lacking something in being able to coach an attack to go all the way but he has certainly helped with the defence.
Defensive structure has been faultless these past two games.

But it doesn’t always matter and especially against the Storm, they are the ref’s BFFs and assiest team there’s ever been.

Munky

Coach
Ivan wasted his shot at the referees before the Souths game.

He needed to wait until/if we played the Storm and them moving off the mark by two metres when playing the ball.

It splits the markers and allows them to shred the defence.

Aso them knocking on everytime a six again is given to them to force a penalty.

The Realist

Juniors
Kinda crazy how he has gonna from NSW rep, to barely 1st Grade quality in a few months.

Is some of it coaching? He seems to be spending a considerable amount of time as a tight forward, and his game really isn't suited to it at all.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Kinda crazy how he has gonna from NSW rep, to barely 1st Grade quality in a few months.

Is some of it coaching? He seems to be spending a considerable amount of time as a tight forward, and his game really isn't suited to it at all.
Was doing great in the middle and wide early in the year. Hard to pick what's changed