What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parks and Recreation

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Also the average episodes of this show are still highly watchable.

I'll use the HIMYM example. The bad episodes were cringe worthy and generally boring. I've seen up to season 6 episode 8 with the others waiting to be watched tomorrow in a marathon. The lower rate episodes are still hilarious.

I say they milk this show for as long as possible.

It's not everyday that a show goes as long as it has. All because the cast are simply awesome.

Ron Swanson and FBI agent Macklin. FTW

Frederick

Staff member
I honestly thought that the season 6 finale was a perfect way to end the series. Not sure where they're going to go with season 7, but whatever they do I can't wait to watch.

Timbo

Staff member
That was the most perfect finale of any TV show ever.

I am not ok with this show being gone forever.

Red Bear

Referee

It certainly fit the show.

I thought it was definitely the right time to finish. Season six, out side the wonderful first episode and solid last ep, was pretty terrible. Season 7 was quite good, but clearly geared toward an ending.

But yeah very good finale, especially the ron swanson/leslie relationship again proving to be the real strong point of the show.

Loved Parks and rec, especially season 2-5 or so (four and five had moment of averageness). I think partly loved it just because, unlike most other comedy's i love, it was a nice show. Something you could watch to put yourself back in a good mood.

Timbo

Staff member
That seems to be the consensus, unlike most comedies where the people are actually quite dislikable which is where the comedy comes from, the characters on Parks and Recreation were all actually genuinely nice people who you came to care about by the end.

roofromoz

First Grade

Agreed on both counts. Tied everything up very well, unlike other finales (cough The Office cough).

Now waiting for Community to return in mid-March.

mackdadday

Juniors
This show should get more wraps than it does. Ron freaking Swanson, April Lundgreen, Lesley Nopes, Andy and Jerry. Wasnt a big fan of Rob Lowe but really what a show.

Reactions: PJ

myrrh ken

First Grade
Maybe im in the minority. Tried to get into it but couldnt.

Not really a fan of the us sitcoms with wacky characters. Yeah i get the uk office was a hit but the straight to camera soliloquies only work if youre doing a mockunentary.

Matua

Bench
Maybe im in the minority. Tried to get into it but couldnt.

Not really a fan of the us sitcoms with wacky characters. Yeah i get the uk office was a hit but the straight to camera soliloquies only work if youre doing a mockunentary.
How many seasons did you watch? S1 is actually dud tv and you really need to watch from at least S2 or maybe even mid S2 onwards.

The show is really nothing like the UK Office so using that as a measuring stick is probably not helpful.

myrrh ken

First Grade
How many seasons did you watch? S1 is actually dud tv and you really need to watch from at least S2 or maybe even mid S2 onwards.

The show is really nothing like the UK Office so using that as a measuring stick is probably not helpful.

Well didn't get through season 1. TBH not going to watch it if I have to wait a season an a half.

Not using it as a measuring stick, just observing that the talking heads bit has become a bit of a formula - Modern Family, Arrested Development - even though it doesn't fit in with the style. Add in some shaky camera, wacky characters and hi jinks. Is it supposed to be sitcom or a mockumentary?

Frederick

Staff member
I miss this show. Might have to download and watch it through again.

As stated above, the first season and a half is a hard slog. It tries to rely too much on the formula that made the office successful. Once they change it and go in their own direction it just goes from strength to strength, and the series finale is one of the most satisfying that I've ever seen

Frederick

Staff member
Well didn't get through season 1. TBH not going to watch it if I have to wait a season an a half.
tenor.gif

Matua

Bench

Not using it as a measuring stick, just observing that the talking heads bit has become a bit of a formula - Modern Family, Arrested Development - even though it doesn't fit in with the style. Add in some shaky camera, wacky characters and hi jinks. Is it supposed to be sitcom or a mockumentary?
If you don't like it you don't like it (especially if you don't like the format), no worries - I tell people to start from S2 because I don't think you need S1.

Timbo

Staff member

They basically redesigned the entire show after series 1. From series 2 onward, it’s completely different.

Eelementary

Post Whore
This show should get more wraps than it does. Ron freaking Swanson, April Lundgreen, Lesley Nopes, Andy and Jerry. Wasnt a big fan of Rob Lowe but really what a show.

Hey, bro - I think you meant April Ludgate, and Leslie Knope.

But it's the right sentiment!

Mr Spock!

Referee
The office us was far better even without Steve carell.

The show struggled over the last couple of seasons.