What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra Eels 2013 - Season Prediction

Where will we finish 2013?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Freak2

Juniors
You make wins sound easy!!

we also finished a lot closer than we should have in a lot of games last year as well.

I wish with all my heart we were a better football team than we are. Reality, logic and history tell me we are off the mark.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I really can't agree with this. He needs to get good early ball and he can be dangerous and calling Tonga a quality centre after last year is a worry.

Tonga's defence was world-class last year. And why rely on the gamble of if/when Loko can get good, early ball - when we could just give him the ball early in the set after a kick and let him make easy metres?

spiderdan

Bench
We were the worst team in the comp last year (by a fair way) and with little to no recruitment and the loss of a player making 40+ tackles per game we are in for another long season.

I hope to be proven wrong.
that same stat was used as reasoning for why that player sucked in attack for many of his last six or so seasons.

had they been 40 one on one tackles per game then your point might be valid but given hindy was often third man in just trying to slow the play down makes me think that those 30 or so flops or gang tackles each game are irrelevant as a stat that will be missing in 2013.

the player that plays there instead of hindy may well end up running 9m+ per carry, make 30 tackles a game and give us 3+ good offlaods per game that lead to another 5 metres from each.

the one thing that i think we will miss in hindy though is the covering plays. i reckon we may have conceded another 6-10 tries from him not giving up on a defensive play that looked lost and like it was going to cost us points.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We were the worst team in the comp last year (by a fair way) and with little to no recruitment and the loss of a player making 40+ tackles per game we are in for another long season.

I hope to be proven wrong.

He made 40+ tackles because he didn't trust his team mates, not because he had to. How do you reckon that inspired the young blokes?

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So he didn't trust his NSW team mates either?

He made so many tackles for NSW because he was overcompensating for pedestrian attack; he essentially didn't trust himself. :shock:

Or maybe Queensland just ran at him heaps.

The point is, making a lot of tackles (especially when most of them are third man flops) isn't a great indication of quality - Daniel Mortimer made 30 tackles a game defending three in from the sideline.

It certainly doesn't mean that the player is hard to replace. Rory Brien makes 40 tackles a game and he just got the arse from the reigning wooden spooners.

Last edited:

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
He made so many tackles for NSW because he was overcompensating for pedestrian attack; he essentially didn't trust himself. :shock:

The point is, making a lot of tackles (especially when most of them are third man flops) isn't a great indication of quality - Daniel Mortimer made 30 tackles a game defending three in from the sideline.

It certainly doesn't mean that the player is hard to replace. Rory Brien makes 40 tackles a game and he just got the arse from the reigning wooden spooners.

I have specifically re-watched games and counted Hindmarsh's tackles to see if he was third man, second man or first man into tackles and from my results, most of the time he was second man into the tackle. Although, i will say i have not done this with enough different games to get an accurate result.

With Morts i think it was a mix off players targetting him AND him looking to get in and tackle. He liked to get involved and i think it was the wrong option for him as it sucked the energy out of him that he needed to kick or pass as he was not physically gifted in either of those areas.

I think Hindy just loved to tackle ;-)

strider

Post Whore
He made 40+ tackles because he didn't trust his team mates, not because he had to. How do you reckon that inspired the young blokes?

actually the one main thing i got out of hindy's book is that he has quite a fear of failure - he made 40+ tackles for himself

that aside - he shouldn't have trusted his teammates - they have been shit

strider

Post Whore

you are right - the number of tackles means f**k all

but the amount of effort put in means f**king everything - and there is no way in hell we have replaced that effort ..... I have never seen anyone in my time watching footy who gets in the right place at the right time so often - and that isn't just luck, it's effort and dedication and we will miss it massively .... no one has shown anything even close - hopefully ricky can inspire something in some players

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
you are right - the number of tackles means f**k all

but the amount of effort put in means f**king everything - and there is no way in hell we have replaced that effort ..... I have never seen anyone in my time watching footy who gets in the right place at the right time so often - and that isn't just luck, it's effort and dedication and we will miss it massively .... no one has shown anything even close - hopefully ricky can inspire something in some players

Spot on. I remember that round 1 game in 2008 v the Dogs when we came back to win, Hindy made like 3 genuine try savers. Then there is the one v the Knights in 2009 when he chased Gidley and as soon as he got the ball, he pounced and foced the turn over. Thats only a couple.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Spot on. I remember that round 1 game in 2008 v the Dogs when we came back to win, Hindy made like 3 genuine try savers. Then there is the one v the Knights in 2009 when he chased Gidley and as soon as he got the ball, he pounced and foced the turn over. Thats only a couple.

2009 gf qualifier against the dogs we are up by 4 with about 12 or so mins to go, Ennis went on a run from about 35 metres out and it looks like dogs will go close to score, out of nowhere hindmarsh got him. It was an amazing effort

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
From what I saw of that it does not show the dogs with the ball

Did they even have any ball? They scored two tries from kicks. Otherwise we dominated them. I remember being concerned we weren't scoring enough for all our possession.

That was the last finals match we ever won.

Noise

Coach
Remember when we made the finals? Those were the days. 05, 06, 07, 09. Good times