What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra Eels - Cricket - Reaching out - Indian community

Eelementary

Post Whore
WWE tried to force themselves into the Indian market, by strapping the belt on Jinder Mahal, and it was a colossal failure.

They have more reach, influence, and money than the NRL does, and they could not break into the Indian market.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You are probably right, but I am not talking about what cricket or cricketers should do, I am talking about what Parra should try to do. Maybe we have already tried this angle and it fell through. Or maybe they just think it is a stupid idea. I mainly think NRL clubs don't think promotion is very important and don't want to work hard at it (remember they had to be dragged kicking and screaming into membership).
I don’t think targeting ethnic communities is a smart move. The whole point of people embracing these identities is that they have their own stuff and they reject outside stuff.

IFR33K

Coach
WWE tried to force themselves into the Indian market, by strapping the belt on Jinder Mahal, and it was a colossal failure.

They have more reach, influence, and money than the NRL does, and they could not break into the Indian market.

They got the wrong Indian. Should’ve strapped it onto poo, he’s an Indian and loves strap ons.

T-Boon

Coach
I don’t think targeting ethnic communities is a smart move. The whole point of people embracing these identities is that they have their own stuff and they reject outside stuff.

That might well be true but I hope the club is looking at it differently (maybe the attitude should be "it is hard but lets make a big effort"). When you think about who lives within walking distance of the stadium I think the ethnic communities are the majority.

Angry_eel

First Grade
I disagree with this. Embracing my Indian identity doesn't mean I am not a proud Australian and that's the same with most people I know.

Woolworths Thornleigh recently had a Happy Diwali announcement with a deal on Ghee(clarified butter) so I bought the Ghee for Diwali from Woolies for the first time instead of the Indian store.

Bunnings at Sevo was handing out free Indian sweets and ice cream for Diwali. It didn't hurt anyone and everyone got a few sweets.

Everytime I go watch an Indian flick at Hoyts or Events, Commbank has an ad targetting the Indian community. The ad is in English as Indians speak nearly 20 languages but it is directly targeting Indians.

All these big businesses are targeting the Indian community simply so they will spend their money at these institutions. There's absolutely nothing wrong with target marketing to local customers.

P.S. - This happens on a much larger scale with the Chinese with the Lunar Festival being a big event in Sydney now.

Gronk

Staff member
The recent Aus vs India T20 match at the SCG seemed like it was a home game for India.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
they will stay home in their droves for the test matches though, they seem to love the T20 stuff

TheParraboy

Staff member
they will stay home in their droves for the test matches though, they seem to love the T20 stuff

Ive seen the SCG tests grow in indian crowds over the last few of their visits

With King Kholi leading the way, they will have far more on hand than the barmy army, a lot more

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ive seen the SCG tests grow in indian crowds over the last few of their visits

With King Kholi leading the way, they will have far more on hand than the barmy army, a lot more

I hope you are right, test cricket it where its at

strider

Post Whore
The large crowds due to india being here are gonna make cricket australia think the move to foxtel isnt a bad thing, but in reality i reckon most the population are losing interest with it being taken off mainstream tv

Dibs

Bench
The large crowds due to india being here are gonna make cricket australia think the move to foxtel isnt a bad thing, but in reality i reckon most the population are losing interest with it being taken off mainstream tv
What do crowds have to do with viewers? Surely only the ratings will determine if it was a good idea, not who goes through the turnstiles

Angry_eel

First Grade
I hope you are right, test cricket it where its at

It is if you're talking about boring as bat shit.

Having said that, I've completely gone off Cricket. I'm going to 1 ODI and that's probably the only game I'll be watching. It's more of a cultural thing, seeing old friends over a beer.

Cricket as a game is now boring for me when compared to RL.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It is if you're talking about boring as bat shit.

Having said that, I've completely gone off Cricket. I'm going to 1 ODI and that's probably the only game I'll be watching. It's more of a cultural thing, seeing old friends over a beer.

Cricket as a game is now boring for me when compared to RL.

if you don't mind me asking, whom do you support in a test between Australia and India ?