What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra Officially Out of Semi Finals

Frank Facer

First Grade
Everything is a possibility - but so is life on Venus! There has never been a team that has lost first 6 games and gone on to make the semis - in fact 19 of the 25 that have started this way have won the Wooden Spoon !!

In saying this lets reconvene next Sunday when these heartless wimps the EELS get done again and tey are 0-7! The only reason I started this post is that Im pretty certain these morons (the eels) can help our plight of getting to the top 4 by beating some of the teams that are chasing us .. This is why getting 6 or so straight wins allows us some breathing space as it's going to be very hard for a lot if teams to get on a 4-5 winning streak - we have already put a 6 point gap on Roosters, Broncos, Storm and 8 points on Cowboys. Don't tell me you don't feel comfortable w that .. Just pray for no major injuries ...
I reckon that there is more chance of life on Venus than there is of Parra making the semis this year.

I have come across numerous things suggesting Mars has been conlonised by humans in the last 60 years or so. A blind mystic called Baba Vanga, who has apparently had many of her prophecies come true, said that a colony on Mars will gain nuclear weapons and demand independence from Earth.

Gareth67

First Grade
I think that Parra should stand by Arthur and either drop or sack Norman and any other players who are at odds with the coach. The coach should be the boss, not the players. If they let the players dictate to the club, then that sends a bad message to the rest of the players and other clubs too. I actually think that Arthur is a good coach. If Parra stick by Arthur and give him the power to do as he sees fit, I think that will be a better long term scenario for them. Then the rest of the players will know that Arthur is boss and what he says goes.

That is what I would do if I was Parra's CEO. I bet you that Melbourne would do as I have suggested if the same thing was happening there.

100% ,that is exactly what should be done Frank Facer .

ouryears

Bench
100% ,that is exactly what should be done Frank Facer .

Not encouraging treason. but.....
It might depend on what Arthur is saying, similar to Madge, the players might just have had enough of his school master approach.

If my boss had wierd strategies or a business plan that didn’t stack up I would say no way as well.

Not saying BAs game Plan is wrong or wierd , but it is possible

BA does seem to be a closed shop sort of guy and like Madge and Hasler,time may be up

ouryears

Bench
I reckon that there is more chance of life on Venus than there is of Parra making the semis this year.

I have come across numerous things suggesting Mars has been conlonised by humans in the last 60 years or so. A blind mystic called Baba Vanga, who has apparently had many of her prophecies come true, said that a colony on Mars will gain nuclear weapons and demand independence from Earth.

Let them have it Frank
They are welcome to it (Mars that is)
I reckon it would be a hole of a place anyway

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
All jokes re: mickeylane aside, there's something very wrong at Parra. Seems to be a poor culture embedded in the place. Plenty of money, loyal fans but a set up that rivals the mess in our own back room.

Arthur is out of his depth. He is a good tactician and man-manager, but he's got no idea how to deal with the split in the playing group. I read last year that of all the NRL coaches, he has taken on the biggest workload in terms of responsibility for all coaching, recruitment and performance. For all Mary and our clubs epic failures, there was enough brain cells in the place to take High Performance and Recruitment responsibility away from Mary and give him some support coaches. Arthur needs to learn to rely on others.

The playing group is a mess. Individually there's some great players there, but their recruitment has yielded many powder puffs and there is just a lack of effort, which indicates a real split in the group. Norman has a lot of talent, but who knows where his head is at. Gutherson cant do it all on his own and you can see his frustration. There are some good forwards - Brown, Ma'u (although he's been very down on form), Moeroa and even Alvaro has a try. But they are complemented with pillows like T-Rex, fake-tough-guys like Edwards and over-the-hill plodders like Beau Scott. Hooker is an issue - Pritchard is not very well-rounded and King is more injury prone than Dugan. Their best forward was Radradra and they replace him with 'poster boy for small players' in French, who almost runs for negative metres!

Then of course, there's egos! Norman is a big one. Mitch Moses is laughable. I cant believe there were some here calling for him to play SOO! He's the ultimate downhill skier, with an ego that makes Jackson Hastings say 'man, that guys got a terrible ego'. The guy claims that blasting his teammates is 'part of the game'.

Throw Hayne into the mix, and it's easy to see where they are falling down.

All jokes re: mickeylane aside, there's something very wrong at Parra. Seems to be a poor culture embedded in the place. Plenty of money, loyal fans but a set up that rivals the mess in our own back room.

Arthur is out of his depth. He is a good tactician and man-manager, but he's got no idea how to deal with the split in the playing group. I read last year that of all the NRL coaches, he has taken on the biggest workload in terms of responsibility for all coaching, recruitment and performance. For all Mary and our clubs epic failures, there was enough brain cells in the place to take High Performance and Recruitment responsibility away from Mary and give him some support coaches. Arthur needs to learn to rely on others.

The playing group is a mess. Individually there's some great players there, but their recruitment has yielded many powder puffs and there is just a lack of effort, which indicates a real split in the group. Norman has a lot of talent, but who knows where his head is at. Gutherson cant do it all on his own and you can see his frustration. There are some good forwards - Brown, Ma'u (although he's been very down on form), Moeroa and even Alvaro has a try. But they are complemented with pillows like T-Rex, fake-tough-guys like Edwards and over-the-hill plodders like Beau Scott. Hooker is an issue - Pritchard is not very well-rounded and King is more injury prone than Dugan. Their best forward was Radradra and they replace him with 'poster boy for small players' in French, who almost runs for negative metres!

Then of course, there's egos! Norman is a big one. Mitch Moses is laughable. I cant believe there were some here calling for him to play SOO! He's the ultimate downhill skier, with an ego that makes Jackson Hastings say 'man, that guys got a terrible ego'. The guy claims that blasting his teammates is 'part of the game'.

Thier forwards and recruitment have been terrible.
Whoever thought throwing a contract at T-Rex needs to be shot. Scott is over the hill, Mana is over the hill he never climbed in the first place. Kane Evans is a huge disappointment, when he first hit the scene for the Roosters I thought he would be a second SBW, but he's gone nowhere. Nathan Browne has gone backwards since arriving, Álvaro is a bit of a plodder.

Moses is another like Hayne and Moylan, he can break a game wide open, but do you want a player who can do the exceptional, very occasionally, or do you want a player that going to run the team very well week in and week out. I'd take Maloney over Moylan every day of the week.

Drag Queen

Bench

Nailed it. What irked me most post game was BA's comment that the effort was there. I'd be dirty if I was a Parra fan atm.

Walpole

Juniors
One thing you have to give our recruitment credit for is that we've mostly steered clear of the big ego players. Hunt, Graham and even Latimore are all team first players. It must be hell trying to manage a team with Moses and Hayne in it, alongside a notorious powder puff like Tony Williams. Maybe blokes like Gutherson and Nathan Brown need to think about a change...

O'Sullivan

Juniors
Moses whinges every game and blows up at any ref decision that doesn't go Parra's way. Of late he gets stuck into his own players if anything goes wrong. He acts like a spoilt child. He has great ability, can pass brilliantly but his defence is suspect and he goes missing when things get tough.

Bench
I read that the coach has a contract for three years at one million per season. He won’t get sacked as they can’t pay him out and recruit another coach.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I believe all teams play 24 games + 1 bye this year.
So, looking at the bench mark of 30 to make the finals:
After 8 rounds
Dragons:
14 + 2 (bye) = 16 points. Need to win 7 of the 16 games remaining

Manly, Dogs and Cows (and Eels if they win tomorrow)
4 = 2 = 6 points. Need to win 12 of the 16 games remaining

Raiders and Titans:
6 + 2 = 8 points. Needs to win 11 of the 16 games remaining

Broncos, Sharks, Roosters and Rabbits
These are locked in 8 + 2 = 10 and would need to win 10 of the remaining 16.

Remember this is just to get to 30 points. Nothing is certain or official as we know teams can go on a winning run and others a losing one (we are famous for this for example)

The make up of the final 8 will be interesting given the games teams have to win. However, Us, the Panthers, Tigers even the Warriors, Storm and Knights need only win half of their remaining games to finish higher than the others.

I have a feeling that the benchmark for finals this year will be around 24-26 to make the 8. Nothing is impossible, however, I think Manly, Dogs, Cows and Eels are facing a very big mountain to climb, one I think will be too onerous for them. Titans and Raiders both face a very large hill.

To me that leaves 10 teams for 8 spots.

Over to you McGregor.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I wish you hadn't gone off early on Parra Mickey, they seem to have the wood on us recently and now they are making their move up the ladder. they have too many really good players to stay down.

MilanDragon

Juniors
I believe all teams play 24 games + 1 bye this year.
So, looking at the bench mark of 30 to make the finals:
After 8 rounds
Dragons:
14 + 2 (bye) = 16 points. Need to win 7 of the 16 games remaining

Manly, Dogs and Cows (and Eels if they win tomorrow)
4 = 2 = 6 points. Need to win 12 of the 16 games remaining

Raiders and Titans:
6 + 2 = 8 points. Needs to win 11 of the 16 games remaining

Broncos, Sharks, Roosters and Rabbits
These are locked in 8 + 2 = 10 and would need to win 10 of the remaining 16.

Remember this is just to get to 30 points. Nothing is certain or official as we know teams can go on a winning run and others a losing one (we are famous for this for example)

The make up of the final 8 will be interesting given the games teams have to win. However, Us, the Panthers, Tigers even the Warriors, Storm and Knights need only win half of their remaining games to finish higher than the others.

I have a feeling that the benchmark for finals this year will be around 24-26 to make the 8. Nothing is impossible, however, I think Manly, Dogs, Cows and Eels are facing a very big mountain to climb, one I think will be too onerous for them. Titans and Raiders both face a very large hill.

To me that leaves 10 teams for 8 spots.

Over to you McGregor.

Good observations there. I am glad I read your post properly as I was going to say that I believe 26 points may well be enough to make the top 8.

The reason is simple, there is less of a gulf between the top and bottom teams and now they’re all starting to beat each other. So this year the wooden spoon team will have more points than the previous few years, and those points will come from the top teams.

Just adding on your point, now that R8 is finished, teams 7-10 all have 8 points with 16 games to play plus a bye. So hypothetically they are on 10 points and would need to win 8/16 games to reach 26 points, therefore making finals.

Latest posts