What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra stadium surface to be reviewed for Manly game

Krakow

Juniors
We've got a fungal disease. Might need to be re-turfed.

In all seriousness, a fungal disease wouldn't cause the extent of the damage the field has now. It looks like there is basically no root system to the couch base.

It was evident watching the coverage from round one something was up and it's only compounded over recent weeks (much like our team)

It's uncharacteristic as it's normally up with the best surfaces in the league.

strider

Post Whore
Apparently they have to re-lay a third of the field ... and if they can't, the alternate venue is - Gosford.

Is new turf gonna hold up? Every game I've seen with new turf, it gets ripped up quick smart during games

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...eep-home-ground-advantage-20120326-1vuok.html

Parramatta Stadium officials have been told to replace the middle third of the ground's turf - an area of 2000 square metres - for the venue to be fit to host Saturday night's traditional rivalry against premiers Manly.
The embattled Eels were yesterday given conditional approval to play the match at their home ground after an inspection by officials from the ARL Commission, the Sea Eagles and the Rugby League Players' Association.
The potholed state of the ground was slammed by Penrith coach Ivan Cleary after the Panthers' 39-6 win over the Eels last Friday night and it emerged yesterday that Gosford was the alternative option to host Saturday's game if it could not be improved by later this week.
''The problem with the surface has been caused largely by weather and it has affected the ground's ability to recover from the matches earlier this year,'' ARLC general manager of football operations Nathan McGuirk said.
''It wasn't really until Friday night that it became apparent that the surface was not holding up as it would in normal circumstances.
''Given that there was no way we could see it recovering in time for this week's game it was important that action was taken. The stadium has been very keen to address the issue and has confirmed this evening that it can re-lay the 2000sqm square metre surface area between now and Saturday evening.''
Gosford's Bluetongue Stadium would be the venue on Saturday if the work was not completed, but McGuirk is confident there will be no issues. ''It is not at all unusual to be able to play on the new surface in a short space of time,'' McGuirk said.

This dude better hurry up!

ipad-art-wide-parra-stadium-420x0.jpg

Tony Bongo

Bench
Apparently they have to re-lay a third of the field ... and if they can't, the alternate venue is - Gosford.

Is new turf gonna hold up? Every game I've seen with new turf, it gets ripped up quick smart during games

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...eep-home-ground-advantage-20120326-1vuok.html

This dude better hurry up!

ipad-art-wide-parra-stadium-420x0.jpg

It's probably because they know the new turf wont hold up that they only want to have the one game there and not let NYC play. They have 3 weeks until the next game which is enough time for the new turf to establish.

tresurehunt

Juniors
well seeing that billy slater has more trys than our whole team the cheer leaders wouldnt have to get up very often. im blaming the number of mascots we have ,especially the new one that suity wears,law parteners,

eels-4.jpg

Gronk

Staff member
PARRAMATTA Stadium will be re-turfed today - just 48 hours before Saturday night's big Heritage Round match against arch-rivals Manly. The Daily Telegraph has been assured the pothole-laden playing surface will still be firm and ready for the rigours of an NRL game.
Manly officials are amazed the ground could be ready just two days after being re-turfed.
"We are in the process of replacing 2000sq m of turf," Parramatta Stadium Trust general manager Luke Coleman said. "It was being dug up (yesterday) and the new turf will go in (this morning)."

The replacement turf will cover the width of the field and between the two 20m lines.
Asked whether the game would still proceed on Saturday night, Coleman said: "Absolutely. There are no concerns. You could play on it straight away."
Officials from Manly, Parramatta and the NRL visited the ground this week after complaints from Penrith coach Ivan Cleary last weekend.
Coleman said Strathayr turf grids take root immediately although the NRL will still conduct another inspection this morning.
"I am not an expert in lawns but hopefully they will get it up to scratch," Manly coach Geoff Toovey said.
"I'm sure they won't let us play on it if there are any problems. So we will leave that in the hands of Parramatta and the NRL. But I have full confidence they won't let us play on it if it's not up to standard."
There was some talk earlier in the week the game would be transferred but that won't happen.
Coleman reiterated that Sydney's wet summer had prevented sufficient sunlight for the grass to grow.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-re-turfed-today/story-e6frep5x-1226312898000

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Must be some good grass to be able to play on it straight away. Obviously it's not like the strips you do your lawn with.

Gronk

Staff member
Must be some good grass to be able to play on it straight away. Obviously it's not like the strips you do your lawn with.

I think it comes with 10 cm of dirt on it, so it's a heavy plod of turf with deep roots and hard to dislodge.

Yeah I don't think the ground staff are getting rolls of Sir Walter from Bunnings. If they are then we're in trouble.

born an eel

Bench
I noticed they don't have to replace the sections up to the 20m line, as it hasn't been worn out from us.

Latest posts