What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra team Vs Sharks

Can I open the other old chestnut - Wagon?
:BDH:

Im going to say it again now, so people dont point the finger and make out I only say it after a loss.

I still dont believe he contributes.

:)
This should continue the thread for a while.

Sean7

Juniors
forward pass said:
How many times have you seen Burty make the sort of error Grothe made last week - shocking pass which resulted in a Manly try. And Grothe made some shocking blunders last year as well. I am not meaning to bag Grothe but Burty is pretty safe and doesn't give you a heart attack everytime he runs the ball up.

He is not in the side to kick goals - he has proved himself week after week. I reckon a lot of sides would like a player like Burty in their side. And read BS press conference last week. They are picking the side for defence first - so if he is such a bad defender, they would have flicked him a long time ago.

He has some poor moments - but he also has moments of brilliance too.(eg his kick ahead on Friday night when the pass was out of reach).

Great side selected - our best since 2001.

Burt made an even worse mistake last week with his pass to Tahu on our own line. What the hell was that? At least Grothe's pass actually had some purpose. The intended receiver was absolutely flying into a gap. Poor execution and the result was a try to the opposition, but that (the try) was just unlucky.

When Burt starts doing the tough stuff like Grothe did so well last week, then you may have a legitimate defense. Until then, I can't see his worth. Grothe does make some mistakes, but no more than Burt and at least Grothe's usually come from trying to create something/ trying too hard. I could never accuse Burt of that I guess, but I'd rather have a player that goes for it.

Great finisher? No, he pops up for a try every now and then, but does it no more than any other winger in the comp and very rarely scores a try that any other winger in the comp wouldn't have. Scores an average amount of tries and very rarely creates anything for himself or his teammates.

Great defender? No, he's terrible.

Great under the high ball? No, he's average.

Great goal kicker? No, he has his good days, but in general he is very average.

Great ball security. He's safe? No, he drops the ball just doing the basics.

He's fast? Yes, he is. He doesn't use his speed though.

He's a good tackle breaker? No, he gets thrown around like a ragdoll.

I hear he has his good points, like the fact that he's a great finisher, but I really haven't seen much to justify that statement. Scott Donald is a great finisher and there's plenty of evidence to prove that, but as for burt...

The Colonel said:
Good for you....By the way - my opinion of John Williams is that he's at least twelve months away from first grade as he is just as prone to making an error as Burt. Brett Anderson or Jarryd Hayne would be better long term options....

While Jarryd Hayne is playing wing for the flegg, The position he excels in is at Fullback. He is outsanding talent. John Williams has not got a mistake riddled game like Burt.

bartman

Immortal
Jake the snake said:
John Williams was kicking them from the sideline last week. Williams is banging on Brian Smiths door with his preformances.
Must be the movies I watch, but that sentence had me thinking of something entirely unrelated to footy :? ;-)

bartman

Immortal
I think we've been really lucky with injuries so far this year. One injury to a winger and we wouldn't be having the Burt v Petersen v Grothe debates. I'm just happy our squad depth gives us reliable cover, and as long as whichever winger is missing out at the moment (Peto) is rewarded and valued (his apparent willingness to re-sign suggests this is so), then it's all good?

Similarly with the Wagon debate - centre, lock or bench he's not a world-beater, but is handy to have around, and it would only take an injury or two to be thankful that he's there. Guys like Robbo and Perenara (or Vella) really have to earn the forward spots above the guys that are there, if there are no injuries to give them their opportunity.

Looking at this week's side I can't think of anyone I'd rather have at lock, other than Widders who appears better suited to the bench/injection role anyway.

bluebag43

Juniors
You Parra fans are welcome at Henson on Saturday afternoon for the top of the table clash with the mighty Jets. I'll be doing the BBQ on the Hill so come up and say hello. May the Best team win!

Hurriflatch

Referee
It's actually a good battle in all 3 grades based on position on the ladder.

NRL
Sharks: 2nd (18 pts)
Eels: 5th (14 pts)

Reggies
Eels: 1st (20 pts)
Jets: 3rd (16 pts)

Flegg:
Sharks: 2nd (18 pts)
Eels: 3rd (16 pts)

Stagger eel

Staff member
The premier league game is my pick out of the three, considering what the Jets did to St Mary's last weekend. I'm predicting a high scoring affair.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Almost feel sorry for the Jets. Perenara and Cannings in particular, whilst I acknowledge they will be down on match fitness, they will be looking to impress and force their way back into 1st grade. Same for Robinson.

Meanwhile, players like Cordoba will be stepping up to try and get back into the starting side.

Latest posts