What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra vs Roosters - Game Day Thread

Eelementary

Post Whore
Why isn't Api Pehwaraingi (sp) getting a go at 6? With kelly injured, surely he is better than Roberts?

Daneel

Bench
A little off topic, but something i really miss is how back in the 80s so many reserve grad players(after having played reserve grade) would sit on the bench for first grade. Wouldn't it be a good way of giving the odd u20s ago in first grade if you could have two replacements from the under 20s game. Better still would be a proper reserve grade comp that played the lead up game to first grade.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Can anyone confirm if Matt Ryan did play at all this weekend?

Im hoping he is back next week, but even so, we need to fix up that defence. Out wide it wasnt too bad, but heads up to Loko and Morgan who tried their best to stop SKD and Jennings.

But up the middle we cant seem to handle to speed of the play of ball.

Also giving away silly penalties doesn't help, every time a team has possession close to the line, Parra gives away a cheap penalty.

This was always going to be rebuilding year like 2011, but I hope Stuart is more tougher than Kearney and get the axe out on some of those players. Cause a scoreline like that, is disgraceful.

yy_cheng

Coach
Kelly still did not do anything tonight that makes me believe he is the person to steady the ship.

His first 3 kicks were crap. Crap passing game as well. And kicking it out to touch in an semi-attacking position. Hmmmm. If Sandow doesn't do anything we have nothing as Hayne is there to play a traditional fullback.

MK was crap again.
Roberts was worse.

Hayne needs to goto 6 to give us attack on both sides. Hell, if Mullaney is doing bad, I would put Sio at 1. He was running with purpose tonight.

Kudos to Loko too.

Djay

Juniors
So pissed off I went out to the game tonight and that's what I witnessed. Such a disgrace and embrassment.

Can't really expect much from a team of reserve graders playing in first grade.

So pissed off I went out to the game tonight and that's what I witnessed. Such a disgrace and embrassment.

Can't really expect much from a team of reserve graders playing in first grade.

Respect to you for going. My bro asked me if I wanted to go, I just laughed in his face.

turbodewd

Juniors
My thoughts after watching the game closely:

1. Sandow cannot defend, he has ability with the ball but completely undoes it in defence. Overpaid.
2. Hayne is not a fullback. You cannot have your highest paid player be a fullback. He must be moved. Considering he is captain and highest paid Id expect to see a little more injection by him on offense. And, sometimes, he just has the knack of not being where the action is when the opposition scores. He doesnt have the hustle of Slater or Steward IMHO. Walks too often behind the ruck in attack and talks too much to the ref.
3. The winger, number 5, was really bad.
4. Parra look uncoached, did they execute a single set play? One per half to at least show us theyve been training!
5. Mannah is the best Eel and should be captain. You can just tell he has the temperament for it.

Last edited:

Sphagnum

Coach
My thoughts after watching the game closely:

1. Sandow cannot defend, he has ability with the ball but completely undoes it in defence. Overpaid.
2. Hayne is not a fullback. You cannot have your highest paid player be a fullback. He must be moved. Considering he is captain and highest paid Id expect to see a little more injection by him on offense. And, sometimes, he just has the knack of not being where the action is when the opposition scores. He doesnt have the hustle of Slater or Steward IMHO. Walks too often behind the ruck in attack and talks too much to the ref.
3. The winger, number 5, was really bad.
4. Parra look uncoached, did they execute a single set play? One per half to at least show us theyve been training!

They tried but every time either Toutai or Roberts dropped it.

eelandia

Juniors
Why do so many people seem to go on about 'our promising juniors'? What have our Under 20s done in the last few years? Keep a couple of them and F$%^ off the rest and start again.

It is who you know rather than what you know in the Parra junior system. Same selectors for too long who have a track record of choosing players based on reputation rather than actual performance. It all starts from there.

Mr Pmatta

Juniors
No if you ask some of the experts it was Ben Smith's 2 penalties that cost us at least 50 points. (I'm sure that's what they said)

Ben Smith is neons from where he used to be, would you argue that point? He is a habitual offender when it comes to givin away penalties, I really don't see the "grey area" and honestly believe he would struggle for Wenty!!!!!

mickdo

Coach
Ben Smith is neons from where he used to be, would you argue that point? He is a habitual offender when it comes to givin away penalties, I really don't see the "grey area" and honestly believe he would struggle for Wenty!!!!!

Don't worry, the NRL stats page has him down for 0 penalties tonight, so everything's just peachy

magpie4ever

First Grade
I watched Vai Toutai (Fairfield Utd) for a number of years in the juniors - he has talent and will only turn 20 this year.

He should not be in 1st grade but in the U20s this year and in reserve grade (Wenty) for a couple more after that; but such is the ineptitude of Parramatta's recruitment and junior rep selectors that this young bloke has been rushed in to an very ordinary side where he is clearly out of his depth.

The funny part is that there were at least 2-3 players from other teams that would control Vai when these teams played Fairfield; while they received minor rep honours at junior level these guys were continually overlooked by Parramatta.

Now as an ex-footballer (but looking at it like a coach) I ask the following question - who do I want in my future teams - the junior star (Vai) or the player/s who controlled him whenever they met - to be honest probably both, but if I had to pick one - the kid in the lesser team that was able to control the star in the star team. That what your so-called talent scouts don't have the talent to see.

Parramatta and Penrith have the same problem - they bring in junior rep players (usually from the gun local district teams) from junior rep teams that have not lost too many games over their junior years and suddenly they put up against players that now are not under sized or over-awed - they then need to get into the trenches, get dirty and battle in each game for the win, but having never done this before they don't know how to and everyone scratches their heads (talent scouts and fans) and say, what is wrong?

Answer - your talent scouts and rep selectors don't have any talent to pick the right players for the future open age competitions.

Question - does anyone know Nolan's background as an actual rugby league player?

phantom eel

First Grade
Someone got a personal phone call from Nolan once, so they might know? I think they wrote about the call on here.

Latest posts