1. Out Now:

Here it is - the latest edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine with a full wrap on last weekend's NRL and Super League along with the match programme for the coming round!

Ahead of Women in League Round this weekend, this bumper issue has plenty of features. Paul Jobber chats to Erin Molan about life in broadcasting, footy and more. Joshua Wells talks to NRLW player Botille Vette-Welsh about her rise in the women's game. We've also got Rick Edgerton's weekly finals piece, this week looking at the spines of each of the top eight sides. We also look at Old Boys Day through the eyes of Newcastle prop Daniel Saifiti.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - a full NRL Round 19 programme - and you have one fantastic 36-page magazine for your weekend's reading!

EDITION 17 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Parramatta - A Cautionary Tale

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by grouch, Apr 2, 2013.

1. grouch

grouch First Grade

Sack the CEO, sack the board, sack the coach, sign flashy "marquee" players, ignore quality local juniors.

Be careful what you wish for!

2. topherzammit

topherzammit Juniors

Agreed

3. Ronnie Dobbs

Ronnie Dobbs Coach

Yep. I've been vocal in voicing my concerns, but absolutely agree with you grouch.

4. BennyV

BennyV Coach

Well said! I might have made a similar comment lat week to someone who vented their frustration at the Dragons, saying 'OUST DOUST, ICE PRICE, SACK EVERYONE OFF CONTRACT AND SIGN SOME NEW PLAYERS' and so on. Patience is better than panic.

We don't need to pay overs for marquee players, we need to continue to build on our good club culture and a strong team, where the boys put in for each other, not the dollars.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  5. bottle

bottle Coach

Said exactly the same thing last year a number of times in threads calling for the early sacking of Price.

If we act like Parra, we could end up like Parra.

6. LOYAL DRAGON

LOYAL DRAGON First Grade

Agreed we all tend to act like children when we loose. Wait till we loose again:lol:

7. jenninga

jenninga First Grade

They got rid of Fitzerald with the promise of better things and have since gone downhill,apart from that fluky run in 09.

8. emack

emack Juniors

Understand where your coming from............but just selecting one struggling team to justify our own current predicament?

What about:

• The Dogs
    • Manly
    • The Storm
    • ………and now the Roosters

..............how have they stayed at the top or turned their fortunes around so quickly ie the Roosters??

Don't think Parramatta is a reason for us as supporters not wanting change. Its a business and the people that run the business we support should ensure that business "ALWAYS" has a measure of success and makes the changes necessary in a timely fashion to ensure continued success?!

Just my 2c worth...........

9. dragonv

dragonv Juniors

Agreed. Dragons are a proud club and with a few decent key players we'd be safely up there in the top 8 by the end of the year. Anyone who thinks we can keep succeeding with halves the way they are is fooling themselves. Of course we won last weekend and the Eels lost so that changes everyone's perception. How dare you compare us to the Eels Grouch!

10. TheRev

TheRev First Grade

My brain isnt operational yet this morning, appreciate a well written post such as this! We can do better than accepting mediocirity from all corners, this forum is so predictable, always thinking short-term, letting a couple of team wins or losses change their longterm views.

Not that we should/need to be compared to Parra, but they have quite a lot of talent coming through, it might take them a year or 2 but there is far more skill & youth in their roster than ours.

11. grouch

grouch First Grade

It's not about accepting mediocrity. I'm just saying the scorched earth policy of many members here is not the best idea, with Parra being the paradigm.

12. Dr Fruitbasket Returns

Dr Fruitbasket Returns Juniors

Or we could not do any of those things and be ... 1 and 3! Like Parramatta. Grouch, it was a good, well argued post. But let's not all get carried away with one win. I will not be at all surprised if someone puts fifty on us at some stage this season. We are still very poor.

13. Slippery Morris

Slippery Morris First Grade

Parra are a very dumb club in terms of player retention especially when it comes to their own juniors that is why when you guys bag Doust I just don't get it.

If Saints had players like Maloney, Tony Williams, Ash Graham, Inu, Matteo etc they would hold on to them just like they did with Bmoz, Creagh, etc. Doust let go of JMoz which was a tragedy and more a case of Gasnier not giving Saints any idea what his future plans were so they can plan. I am sure if they knew he would retire early or leave for Union, JMoz would still be at the club.

Parra seem to let go of quality to bring in guys like Sandow and Hopoate who is on big dollars without kicking a ball.

If Saints management was that bad I would be calling for Doust as well but compared to Parra, Doust is doing a great job. Can't think of too many Juniors apart from Jmoz that have come back to bite us.

14. Slippery Morris

Slippery Morris First Grade

Where Parra also went wrong was letting go of Brian Smith. He did great things for the club but in the end they got rid of him because he did not want Tim Smith or Riddell who were both gone the following year anyway.

Then they got rid of Daniel Anderson who also got them to a GF.

Ricky has left the Roosters and Sharks in dire straits so not sure why he is looked upon as a good coach. The damage he did to those clubs was bad and he left both as wooden spooners.

15. Fire

Fire First Grade

My word. Sharp post.

16. stg666

stg666 Juniors

thoughtful words. i like them.

17. Avenger

Avenger Referee

Our CEO was a joke and had to go.

That CEO got rid of Brian Smith. He did however have 10 years. A fair whack.

The new board got rid of Anderson which was a disgrace and replaced him with an overhyped nobody who will never coach at the highest club level again. They have however turned the Leagues Club around in terms of $$ and we have now over 15,000 members which is extraordinary considering how far we have fallen.

Ricky Stuart was the best coach available.

Our juniors are overrated.

Sandow needs a dominant forward pack like any halfback except Andrew Johns to shine.

We need one of your hookers. Who is better Rein or King ? Serious question.

18. Godz Illa

Godz Illa Coach

You'll get varied opinion on this, but the fact is only one of them is off-contract.

19. Avenger

Avenger Referee

Who ? King ?

20. jenninga

jenninga First Grade

You have Ben Roberts playing dummy half,why do you need another hooker:lol::lol::lol: