What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta champions welcomed back into the dressing room

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,26102305-5003409,00.html

Parramatta champions welcomed back into the dressing room

By Dean Ritchie | September 21, 2009 12:00am

PARRAMATTA chairman Roy Spagnolo asked club legend Ray Price where he wanted to sit at the SFS for Friday night's match against Gold Coast.

"I have tickets outside or in a private suite," Spagnolo said.

Price didn't care. "Just get me to the players after the game - that's all I want."

With that, a 20-year absence from the Eels' rooms was over.

Price was in the sheds after the game mingling with players - as were fellow legends Peter Sterling, Eric Grothe and Terry Leabeater.

Many of the Parramatta legends said former Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald made them feel unwanted.

Fitzgerald always said they were welcome, but either way, The Emperor is gone and the old Eels champions are back.

Price had his arm around Daniel Mortimer. Eric Grothe was talking to superstar Jarryd Hayne and Sterling spoke with rookie centre Jonathan Wright. They were handing down experience that can't be bought, a spirit driving Parramatta from eighth place to the brink of their first premiership in 23 years.

And the legends will be back for this Friday night's semi-final blockbuster against the Bulldogs, where a record 60,000 crowd is tipped for ANZ Stadium.

"There is a bit of aura about them," Eels centre Joel Reddy said. "When you think they won four premierships - that's amazing. The current players are aware of what they achieved.

"It's great they come into the room, it helps having those kind of old players around the club.

"It inspires you. A lot of fans talk about those days in the 1980s. I know how high they hold those players. I'd love to be held in the same regard by helping Parramatta to a Grand Final."

The legends are lifting a team which four months ago were in the wooden-spoon battle.

They have become the fairytale team of 2009, igniting the NRL over the past two months.

"It's nice they (the legends) feel comfortable enough to come in," Parramatta chief executive Paul Osborne said.

"They are part of what we are trying to do, to get these blokes involved as much as we can. They were part of a very successful era in the club's history.

"It is great they are coming into the dressing rooms and are feeling at home."

Price, who led the Eels to their last premiership in 1986, said it was nice to be back in the fold.

"It's getting Parramatta back to what it should be - a family club," Price said. "The players today need to know who the founders of the club were and who put the club on the map.

"The current players are really supporting each other and helping each other. That is what football is all about.

"No one gave this side a hope at the start of the season. I'm excited watching this team. I haven't been this excited since when I was playing."

Eels coach Daniel Anderson said his players should be excited and pumped up to play in such a huge match against the Bulldogs.

"The players deserve to experience a big occasion like this," Anderson said. "They should be excited. I know I am.

"I'm not going to put a wet blanket over the week. I'm happy if they come to training with a smile on their face. They should enjoy the week.

"I'm aware of the tradition of the Parramatta-Bulldogs clashes.

"It's hard to say it's just another game. The players aren't silly. They know how important it is."

five-eighth Daniel Mortimer has a hip injury and remains in doubt for the match.

If ruled out, Feleti Mateo would appear certain to start.

"I'm hopeful (Mortimer will play)," Anderson said.

"Maybe the doctor has a different take on it but I am hopeful. I'll leave it up to you to speculate (on a replacement)."

Tbph I'm a little surprised this hasn't happened sooner. DF has been gone for a little while now i would have thought Pricey and co. would have been down into the dressing rooms by now. In any case its great to hear!

Roshan

Only watched the replay on Sunday, after going to the game on Friday night.

Thought it was great seeing Sterlo going in and giving Mortimer a pat on the back at half time.

Gronk

Staff member
Yeah great to see Sterlo chatting to Morts in the sheds during/after the game.

crocodile

Bench
Tbph I'm a little surprised this hasn't happened sooner. DF has been gone for a little while now i would have thought Pricey and co. would have been down into the dressing rooms by now. In any case its great to hear!

Roshan

In the loss to Manly at Brookvale earlier this year, Ray Price was most definately in the sheds. Don't know about any others.

Sterlo walked pass us on Friday night, walking up to the commentary box. My mate next to me, stuck his hand out and said "they're going great Peter, they're going to win tonight", he patted my mate on the shoulder, and with a massive smile said "I hope so".

Gary Belcher walked up the stairs & laughed how he was going to have a heart attack.... Although, I think Rabbits was closer too it than him, going by how red his face was.:lol:

Roshan

They were a large group of past players in the Dressing Rooms along with all of the new board members the home game after the Election win. But I guess an article like this makes for great theatre.

Latest posts