What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Holden Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There's something I really like about the way Corey Makelim plays footy. I'm not saying he's going to be a world beater, but he is a competitor. THere's something there I reckon.

Folau looks to me like a genuine centre. Daoud looked pretty good considering he came from the SG Ball this season if i'm correct.

Makelim, Folau and Daoud are all 19 this year. Do you know if they're signed beyond next year?

Gorman doesn't impress me.

Of course not. This is his first year of NYC and his last year of eligibility. I doubt he will be at the club next year, but you never know.

Why has Docker-Clay been moved to hooker in place of Vescio? I thought Vescio was very good last season. I haven't been able to follow the NYC team as closely this season so i'm not sure if he's been injured or just hasn't kicked on.

ZDC started as a hooker, and Vescio is 20 this year so ineligible for NYC next year. He looks like he lacks the size or speed for pro footy so he probably won't be retained. Therefore he gets the 14 jersey for the rest of the year. Dockar-Clay just turned 18 in April, and is one of our best in the NYC.

As others have stated Ualesi was great the other night.

He was indeed, but he turns 21 next year, which means he either gets a backup contract or looks for a part-time gig with a NSW Cup club. The fact he wasn't signed up earlier means the 'academy' has identified a fundamental weakness in his game that means he is unlikely to become a first grader. Still, starring in under 20s isn't something to thumb ones nose at, and he obviously has some talent. Just like Matt Eisenhuth he might pick up a fulltime contract in his first year out of NYC. Otherwise he has to struggle away in semi-professional football until his game is fully developed.

The NRL really needs a genuine reserve grade and big enough base contracts that blokes can afford to train fulltime even if they're not in the top 25.

Of course, it's up to the stars to allow the salary cap to be distributed that way. Do the Haynes and the Thurstons really care whether guys like Joseph Ualesi earn $30k next year or $80k? You'd hope so but it could mean a personal hit of $100k a year for the top earners if the minimum salary applied to 35-40 players rather than just 25.

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
We're a much better side with Makelim in the side he offers much more spark than basington who I thought was mediocre for guildford yesterday...

Ualesi has been our best player this year by a mile, he scored 3 tries last night, he hits the line hard and his work rate is very high... He will be our next first grader.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We're a much better side with Makelim in the side he offers much more spark than basington who I thought was mediocre for guildford yesterday...

Brasington is also 21 next year so it looks like his career is over.

Ualesi has been our best player this year by a mile, he scored 3 tries last night, he hits the line hard and his work rate is very high... He will be our next first grader.

Do you know if he is under contract next year? In fact, are you able to find out, or give me an email address of someone who can tell me?

As a member (of this forum) I have a right to know!

hindy111

Post Whore
In the networks we are part of the list of pedophiles reported is greater in Christian schools, particularly pre schools and kindergarten. From the many victims coming forward, mostly families coming together with their testimonials, and there are tens of thousands of them in Australia, in boys schools, the highest rates of terrible sexual abuse occurs in Catholic schools, particularly private schools. But it doesn't just stop there. As I said, this will all break out on to the surface and it will not be controlled by the media or the government or the law or the police. May you live to experience this massive backlash coming from hundreds of thousands of Australians, possibly millions.

I think thats a litle over the top.I went to a catholic school.In the early to mid 90's.
As far as pension and all goes.By encouraging these singles mums with kids to various dads we are only letting the cycle continue.But at the end of it all your always going to need people to sweep the streets.

hindy111

Post Whore
No. But my wife and my siblings went to private schools and they are better people.

I was too much of a shitmerkin and my old man wouldn't waste the money.

Anyway, I went to a public and then a Catholic (semi-private) high school and the Catholic school was a better place full of better people.

Agree-But depending on the area you live.Beeing out west some of the public schools have some of the roughest kids around.If your living on the north shore id imagine it wouldnt be such an issue.
But you have to be carefull with the word better people.I reckon some of the realy strict school take away peoples personalities:D

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Surely we'd have him wrapped up until 2015 like the other potentials? Ualesi that is.

Those other potentials were wrapped up at age 18 - they are future first graders and potential rep players. Like Stagger said, Ualesi only just signed and he's already 20. He's not in the same class and might never play first grade.

Still, this is where the cheapest backup players come from - straight out of under 20s, but unsigned until their final year of NYC eligibility. This is the same way Eisenhuth, Pewhairangi and Wiliame started their fulltime careers this year, and how Blair, Terepo and Marmin Barba started theirs the year before.

Genuine future first graders are generally on long contracts at age 18 - Loko, Tanginoa, Pritchard, Pauli and Masinamua. I reckon Dockar-Clay and Moeroa are already contracted for the next three years as well.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
Those other potentials were wrapped up at age 18 - they are future first graders and potential rep players. Like Stagger said, Ualesi only just signed and he's already 20. He's not in the same class and might never play first grade.

Still, this is where the cheapest backup players come from - straight out of under 20s, but unsigned until their final year of NYC eligibility. This is the same way Eisenhuth, Pewhairangi and Wiliame started their fulltime careers this year, and how Blair, Terepo and Marmin Barba started theirs the year before.

Genuine future first graders are generally on long contracts at age 18 - Loko, Tanginoa, Pritchard, Pauli and Masinamua. I reckon Dockar-Clay and Moeroa are already contracted for the next three years as well.

You are joking (future first graders), right.

Don't know whether Tepai is on a long term contract as he is likely to be touring with the Oz rugby union schoolboys to the British Isles at the end of this year.

gustarny

Juniors

Nah Ualesi not in the same class.He was brought into NYC at age 16,he is definately no good.:roll:.Have you ever watched a NYC game or what .I suggest you pull your head in their looking for wood.:lol:

I think (hope) this is one of Pou's less subtle attempts to start an argument, Gustarny. I would imagine the simple fact that lots of future first graders aren't locked in for the long haul at the age of 18 (partic. forwards) might have occurred to him. I mean, that Tupou bloke who plays for the Roosters, we sure had him locked up.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You are joking (future first graders), right.

They have had all their measurables measured mate. Do you think identifying junior talent is a guessing game? It's a science, and it's been around rugby league for over a decade. It's been around sports like the NFL for over thirty years.

That doesn't mean you can know for sure who will or won't make it, but if you use what we know (because of science) about human development you can give yourself a f**king good advantage over random chance.

Don't know whether Tepai is on a long term contract as he is likely to be touring with the Oz rugby union schoolboys to the British Isles at the end of this year.

If he's on a long term contract it's because we want him to become a first grader. That means a rugby trip at the end of high school isn't going to interfere with that. It will probably be beneficial, and some other merkin is paying for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts