What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Holden Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Nah Ualesi not in the same class.He was brought into NYC at age 16,he is definately no good.:roll:.

I didn't say he was no good, I said he wasn't as good as the younger forwards who were signed up earlier and were called up to first grade earlier.

As for playing NYC at 16, being an early developer doesn't mean he will develop as much as those players who have more potential.

Carving up in NYC does not equal guaranteed future first grader. The vast majority of any NYC squad (including some of the top performers) will never play first grade. A club is doing well if they get more than 2 or 3 in any given year.

Ualesi well might be good enough for first grade one day but what if that doesn't happen until he is 25 years old? Will he hang in there training fulltime for $20k-$30K for five years (that's if an NRL club wants to keep him on a second tier contract for that long) when he could get a (fulltime) job making twice that. What if, when his current contract expires at about age 22, no NRL club wants to pick him up on a second tier contract, because they'd rather take a chance on another kid out of the NYC. Does he keep developing his game for a NSW Cup club, training part-time for f**k all and working nine to five?

Kelepi Tanginoa and co don't have to worry about that for at least another two and a half years, and the science of biomechanics has already determined that these guys are almost certainties to make it in the NRL. That's why they've been on fulltime contracts since they turned 18 and Joseph Ualesi hasn't.

Ualesi well might be good enough for first grade one day but what if that doesn't happen until he is 25 years old? Will he hang in there training fulltime for $20k-$30K for five years (that's if an NRL club wants to keep him on a second tier contract for that long) when he could get a (fulltime) job making twice that. .

He'll play first grade this year or next, from what I've seen of him. He appears a footballer as well as an athlete.

magpie4ever

First Grade
They have had all their measurables measured mate. Do you think identifying junior talent is a guessing game? It's a science, and it's been around rugby league for over a decade. It's been around sports like the NFL for over thirty years.

That doesn't mean you can know for sure who will or won't make it, but if you use what we know (because of science) about human development you can give yourself a f**king good advantage over random chance.

If he's on a long term contract it's because we want him to become a first grader. That means a rugby trip at the end of high school isn't going to interfere with that. It will probably be beneficial, and some other merkin is paying for it.

Yeah right, wonder why your club is so f**ked up - you can not measure inbuilt talent for the game by measuring body shape, size and running speed or distance. The only way is to watch the players play the game - how they read the game, tackling ability, heart, how they respond when the going gets tough etc etc. It is not a science - it takes good talent scouters - which you guys do not have.

Kaysa P could not have passed your measurement test as Frankie got all the goodness.:lol:

In reference to Pauli, I could name at least half a dozen A graders playing in your junior league comp with more skills, talent and heart.

I don't believe you regarding Tepai (long term contract) - I personally believe he will go to union.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Yeah right, wonder why your club is so f**ked up - you can not measure inbuilt talent for the game by measuring body shape, size and running speed or distance. The only way is to watch the players play the game - how they read the game, tackling ability, heart, how they respond when the going gets tough etc etc. It is not a science - it takes good talent scouters - which you guys do not have.

Kaysa P could not have passed your measurement test as Frankie got all the goodness.:lol:

In reference to Pauli, I could name at least half a dozen A graders playing in your junior league comp with more skills, talent and heart.

I don't believe you regarding Tepai (long term contract) - I personally believe he will go to union.

Then why are they not in first grade or near abouts? cant be his awesome name.....

gustarny

Juniors
He'll play first grade this year or next, from what I've seen of him. He appears a footballer as well as an athlete.

I know he will get a crack this year.He is extremely tough and rarely misses a tackle.Add to that has a strong carry.and i cant recall the last time i saw him drop the ball.I think he plays a lot like Ian Hindy did.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I know he will get a crack this year.He is extremely tough and rarely misses a tackle.Add to that has a strong carry.and i cant recall the last time i saw him drop the ball.I think he plays a lot like Ian Hindy did.

What position do you think he is suitable for long-term, lock or second row, right or left edge forward or a mobile lock covering the park? Could he play at center?

Stagger eel

Staff member
By admission to those close to the club, Joey U's development has been much slower than those around him despite starting at NYC at such an early age this year was definitely a make or break year for him and he's obviously responded to the new coaching staff and has improved out of sight enough to warrant a full time gig at the club.
I think he'll play some first grade but I'm not overly convinced that he'll have a long illustrious career at that level.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I'm going to make a bold prediction that Joey U will become a Parramatta great. He will play for the Kangaroos and one day become an immortal.

I will bump this thread in 20 years time.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Dont ask me, but it does question your talent spotters.

What about the talent spotters from the other 15 clubs? Or do you think they don't scout the Parramatta district?

Just because, in the years between Cleal and Nolan, the only region we scouted was western Sydney, doesn't mean we were the only club scouting this area. Every club scouts the entire east coast (and NZ) for junior talent.

If your kid wasn't picked up by any of the NRL clubs it's not the Eels' fault. Stop bringing your bitterness here. Tell your kid to get a job like the rest of us had to.

magpie4ever

First Grade
It questions alot of talent spotters if there are alot of people in A grade with more skill than him dont you think? Or could it be your poor judgment on talent?

That's is true, mate. I'm happy with my judgment of footballing ability and it does not take rocket science (unlike the poo man), it involves watching players play the game and looking for those small indicators when the going gets tough.

Can you say the same for Parra; when was the last truly great junior too come through. Remember Hayne was actually a wests junior and Mannah is, what I describe as, a fair 1st grader.

magpie4ever

First Grade
What about the talent spotters from the other 15 clubs? Or do you think they don't scout the Parramatta district?

Just because, in the years between Cleal and Nolan, the only region we scouted was western Sydney, doesn't mean we were the only club scouting this area. Every club scouts the entire east coast (and NZ) for junior talent.

If your kid wasn't picked up by any of the NRL clubs it's not the Eels' fault. Stop bringing your bitterness here. Tell your kid to get a job like the rest of us had to.

You by your own words was a talentless footballer but you talk science and statistics as if they are the miracle answer to selecting future NRL players - you sir; are an opinionate, talentless, answerless, useless, clueless, and an other lesses out there, goose.:lol:

By the way, he is still in their system; so again you are missing the point. :lol:

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
If you wanna play that game, I'll trade you a jarryd hayne for a Paul gallan....

Haynes a local junior, it's a silly arguement to suggest he isn't...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
C'mon Stagger, you know Minto is not in the Parramatta district. Gallen - yes, who was let go.

Like Brian Smith said in a recent article, when Gallen was at the club they didn't think he would ever have the body for NRL footy. Then a few years later he turns up 20kg heavier.

That's science. ;-)

As for Hayne, I agree he's not a local junior, and if Cleal hadn't been looking outside the local district we never would have found him.

Status
Not open for further replies.